BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added brake fluid today and what was in the reservoir was a dark color, is this a sign for it to be changed or is it normal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
Condensation has found it's way into your system, which is normal and thus changes your brake fluid color. How much it decreases your stopping power or how it affects your ABS system is an unknown.

You will need to do a complete bleed of the system to get back to clear.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,565 Posts
NOGILLS2 said:
Added brake fluid today and what was in the reservoir was a dark color, is this a sign for it to be changed or is it normal?
The brake and clutch fluid is supposed to be flushed and refreshed every year per BMW specs. It takes a pretty good beating, expecially on the power assist linked braking systems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone I suspected but wanted to verify that it needed flushing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
Sounds like a trip to the "Flush Brothers".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,565 Posts
NOGILLS2 said:
Thanks everyone I suspected but wanted to verify that it needed flushing!
Be aware that the power assisted linked brakes on your 03 will likely require you to go to the dealer for a flush. There are multiple bleed points in the system and it has to be done in a specific way or you will get ABS faults and possibly other issues. I'm glad that stuff has started going away with the 07 bikes, maybe the future K2000LT/V8 Turbo Plasma-Drive will have some brakes we can service on our own! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
I'm glad I staggered upon a double naught. It doesn't have the factory farkles of the newer models, but with simpler systems, I can do some of the wrenching myself. The more invasive stuff will still require me to Bring More Wallet!
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,908 Posts
NOGILLS2 said:
Thanks everyone I suspected but wanted to verify that it needed flushing!
Make your way to CCR, Floyd and we'll get 'er done there. We will have all the tools and expertise right on site. It is not as complicated as some think and the dealer is NOT required. Just bring a quart of your favorite DOT 4 brake fluid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
Be aware that the power assisted linked brakes on your 03 will likely require you to go to the dealer for a flush. There are multiple bleed points in the system and it has to be done in a specific way or you will get ABS faults and possibly other issues. I'm glad that stuff has started going away with the 07 bikes, maybe the future K2000LT/V8 Turbo Plasma-Drive will have some brakes we can service on our own! :D
Why are people here afraid to bleed and change the brake fluid in their LTs? Its not that hard, requires no special tools, just an extra set of hands. Its even easier than doing it on an R bike!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, John I am planning on attending CCR, depends on my next Doc visit! I see the cardiologist on Aug 14. I am hoping he releases me for full activity, Had an EKG and still have a regular heartbeat, Has not returned to irregular as the Doc feared it would, and only time will tell. So far everything has been successful and insomnia has been fixed. I now sleep with a V-PAP machine and I now sleep 6-8 hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Channing Keep me posted on your arrival would love to meet you in MC.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,137 Posts
Not too bad, just take your time.

tbarstow said:
Why are people here afraid to bleed and change the brake fluid in their LTs? Its not that hard, requires no special tools, just an extra set of hands. Its even easier than doing it on an R bike!
Because the original write-up on the site had so many warnings, and disclaimers everyone decided that maybe it was just easier to pay the dealer. You are correct that the proceedure is not that difficult, but you do need to take care while doing it. The procedure will be demonstrated at CCR this year. It is different for 1999-2001, 2002-2004 and 2005+. If anyone is interested in donating their bike for the Tech Session let us know.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,137 Posts
What is V-PAP I know what C-PAP is because my wife was a respiratory therapist is is something new for sleep apnea?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it is a new type of Pap machine, the pressure varies according to your needs as long as you are breathing the machine just purrs along and the longer you dont breathe the pressure increases until you start breathing again. Believe me they just give them away too, but I wake up in the morning refeshed and ALIVE!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
My wife is on the C-PAP machine too, but she hates it. Usually ends up taking it off during the night.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top