BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disaster has struck!

Last Wednesday, when I started the bike up, the starter motor would not disengage. I had to disconnect the battery. However, upon investigation, I have discovered the starter relay overheated and burnt out. I also bought a new battery, Yuasa and very pricey. I charged up the battery and replaced the solenoid with one I had in the parts bin. Unfortunately, the bike still doesn’t want to start properly. Sometimes the starter motor turns over slowly or just doesn’t! If I bump start the bike she runs normally and all ancillary items seem to be OK. Any suggestions please? I'd rather not dismantle the bike again just to poke around. Thank for any and all valuable information received.

I forgot to mention on the same day the weld on the centre stand decided to give way and the bike toppled over in the garage, not the easier of bikes to pick up! I had a sore shoulder for a couple of days after.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How long did the starter crank before you got the battery disconnected? I'm thinking your starter over heated/fried

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
For a starting read, on the starter problem, click here. There is more info that will come up if you search on the phrases connected with that thread and topic. HTH.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
When your battery gets old and a little low, The early LT's had a problem with the starter relay getting welded shut...

And thus the symptoms you've experienced...

You need to get the correct relay if the one from the parts bin wasn't...

BMW makes a mod kit that cuts out the starting system if the voltage is too low thus preventing this situation...

Measure your voltage to be sure your new battery is doing what it's supposed to...

The starter is pretty robust and I don't think I've ever heard of a starter failure due to this problem... So get that voltage measured while you're trying to start her up and see what's what...

Also, There is a video relating to how to pick up the LT... You did it wrong and now you're hurt... Just search youtube...If you do it the correct way you won't get hurt..

John

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went back down the garage today. The bike cranked over slowly, and didn’t start! I waited a moment and tried again, this time she did start. I repeated this activity several times so I presume the problem is in the relay, I did use na old one I had lying around. It is actually the same as on the old K100 series (12V 75amp Bosch 0 332 002 161). I now presume the problem is still the relay. Since this is the second K-bike I’ ve had and both of them have had this same issue I’d like to fit the extra relay which I’ve heard about. I’m not electrically minded so does anyone have a schematic which I could show to an auto-electrician?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
Best thing is the factory replacement relay with the sensing circuit but that is $$$ (lots of Cruzados or Crusarios or what ever you are using these days).

The relay of choice is an old Ford starter relay this should help. The schematic is just for reference it is not how you would hook it up on the LT. Battery goes to the one big post and a lead from the second big post would go to the starter tie point behind the battery. Then the output line from your factory relay would go to the small terminal to activate the big relay

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
jzeiler said:
Best thing is the factory replacement relay with the sensing circuit but that is $$$ (lots of Cruzados or Crusarios or what ever you are using these days).

The relay of choice is an old Ford starter relay this should help. The schematic is just for reference it is not how you would hook it up on the LT. Battery goes to the one big post and a lead from the second big post would go to the starter tie point behind the battery. Then the output line from your factory relay would go to the small terminal to activate the big relay
This is the best fix! Do a canisterectomy and put the relay where the canister was.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
I4neye said:
Well... If you can get at the starter you could jump it and see if it works
You can get to the starter at the tie point (insulated one) behind the battery - it feeds the starter directly.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Does anyone know the specs of the Ford relay? I can't just go into a parts shop and ask for an old Ford relay,can I? I've had a look on Mercadolivre, a kind of e-Bay, and there are several options.
Thanks, Martin

BTW, the currency is the Real (BRL). I moved to Brazil when it was the Curzeiro Real, then the URV which was a transitionary currency rate, before the Real was introduced late 1994. Very interesting experience indeed!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Just tell them you need a bit ol' solenoid... They're all pretty much the same thing..

One big set of contacts and one coil to close them...

As long as it's 12V you won't have any issues..

John

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
When I got home from work yesterday, again went down the garage and she did start up but the relay definitely is not at its best. I will go down the Ford relay route. I just have to buy another BMW relay $$$$$$$$$$$$ first!

Since I'm not electrically minded, why should the Ford relay be better?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
Your shakey BMW relay is trying to drive the starter (High Current). You add a Ford realy in line now all your shakey BMW relay has to drive is the Ford relay (very low current) and the Ford relay then deliveres the high current to the starter. No need to replace the BMW $$$$$ relay.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really, I can still use the old relay to power a new more robust one? How should the Ford relay be wired in?

Am I correct in understanding that the heavy duty cable which comes from the relay and goes to the starter motor now ill power the new relay?

Does anyone have a schematic of the new arrangement?

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Snip >
I can still use the old relay to power a new more robust one?
<

I did on my '86 K100/EML . I took the cover off the BMW relay & filed the points up to get the burnt stuff off. Then used it to energize the Ford relay. Ford has a few different styles of relays. It took me two trys to get one that would work on my K100.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
JPSpen said:
When your battery gets old and a little low, The early LT's had a problem with the starter relay getting welded shut...

And thus the symptoms you've experienced...

You need to get the correct relay if the one from the parts bin wasn't...

BMW makes a mod kit that cuts out the starting system if the voltage is too low thus preventing this situation...

Measure your voltage to be sure your new battery is doing what it's supposed to...

The starter is pretty robust and I don't think I've ever heard of a starter failure due to this problem... So get that voltage measured while you're trying to start her up and see what's what...

John

+1
Rreplace battery with Odyssy PC680
http://www.batterymart.com/c-odyssey-batteries.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=odyssey_battery&gclid=CN7ip8DJ0rICFQjZQgodgSgA2Q

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yesterday, I fitted the auxiliary ‘Ford’ starter relay. I was expecting some difficulty in finding the part. However, the first auto electrics workshop I went into had one, a bit expensive but I thought about the return on investment!

Getting to the garage I stripped the bike down, only to find that an unnecessary task since the cable from the original relay ties into a connector block just in front of the rear mudguard, under the suspension pre-load mounting.

I bought one ready-made cable (+/- 45 cm long) and four terminals and 60 cm of heavy duty copper cable. I made up one of the cable and used the ready-made one. With hindsight I could have made both cables and saved some cash!

My procedure is as follows:

1. Disconnect the battery.

2. Disconnect the cable from the original relay.

3. Fit the heavy duty cable (+/- 30cm long) from the + terminal on the battery.

4. Fit the heavy duty cable (+/- 30cm long) to the connection where the BMW relay cable ties in.

5. Fix the new relay to the fitting for the suspension pre-load, where it will be grounded.

6. Connect the new heavy duty cables to the large terminals on the relay, one for each side.

7. Fit the cable from the original relay to the small terminal on the new relay. On the one I bought, there were two small terminals; the auto-electrician identified the one I should use. Please check when you buy the part.

8. Reconnect the battery.

I’m not electrically minded but this is a very simple procedure and now I hope to never have starting problems ever again! I know that the next BMW I buy will also receive this modification.

Surprisingly, I was talking to the owner of the local Honda dealership and he told me his son sold his BMW due to starting problems, not even the BMW dealership could sort it out. I explained to him how I had followed advice from this forum and made this modification. He was very surprised by the simplicity of it.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I did that last spring and it worked fine until a day in August when we had 4 inches of rain in a day - water can go thru the seat and drip in the area where Ford relay was mounted - shortly after that the realy failed keeping the starter motor on. I have not taken it apart but I am assuming it was filled with water so this winter I am going to install one under top box where it will be protected from weather. These are extremly reliable relays otherwise.

·
Registered
999 Posts
aztechmaster said:
I did wrap my ford relay in duct tape just to avoid water issues, it does rain here in SD..
you are getting into ghetto mod territory :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts