BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Disassemble BMW steering damper

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  simoncharles 
#1 ·
Has anyone taken one apart and replaced the viton ? seals ?.

If so, where did you purchase them ?.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A possible source for seals would be a Parker Hannifan distributor. You would want one that carries thier seal line. Possibly in your area there might even be a Parker Store. I have found them to be a good source for sealing products.

Second choice would be a cylinder repair shop. They might be able to source seals for this also.

Are these O-ring seals or cup style seals. I couldn't tell from the picture.

good luck

Roy

#3 ·
I went in to a local bearing retailer (Dixie Bearing) and showed them one of the old seals. They had me two new ones in a couple of days and they were less than $5.00 each. They worked great too. Only problem was when I put the damper back on the LT, I left one washer off and when I tightened the bolt attaching it to the fork brace, I put a very nice dimple in the cylinder and now the piston doesn't move freely past that point.

An afternoon with a small file and hone got me back to work, but now I'm having problems getting the seals back into place. Could be that with such pressure on the piston, I may have distorted the cylinder to where it isn't perfectly round? Either way, it's back to the drawing board.

#6 ·
simoncharles said:
Has anyone taken one apart and replaced the viton ? seals ?.

If so, where did you purchase them ?.

Thanks in advance
I've ridden my LT for thousands of miles - MINUS the damper.

Even when it was brand new and functioning perfectly it never even started to attenuate a severe tank slapper caused by a severely cupped front tire. From my point of view it is worthless... I would not re-build it.

It pretty much belongs in the trash, along with the stock Showa shocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.