BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I disable the alarm on my 2009 LT by jumping pins 3&11 and 6&10, will the fob still lock-unlock the bags?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
No because the alarm is the unit that does that job and in order to bypass it you must unplug the 12 pin connector. You also need to add pin 2 (green wire) to the pin 6 & 10 jumper as that will enable the turn signal to operate.

I suppose you could leave the alarm hooked up and jumper the wires - it may still work as I have never tried it on an 05. In any case when the alarm does fail (the only reason to bypass in my book) you will also lose the central locking function.

I did rig up a cable and toggle switch to perform the bypass on a 2003 alarm that left the alarm intact until you threw the switch and it seemed to work OK. The 09 routes the power to the flashers through the alarm so I don't know if that will cause a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John for the info. I didn't add pin 2 into 6&10. The turn signals work OK. Also, I have my 12 pin connector still plugged in. It would not start so that is why I jumped 3&11 and 6&10.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
OK sounds like it reverted to immobilizer "ON". Since the alarm is still plugged it the flasher is getting power and I presume your central locking is also still working. Is the red light on that is on the right side of the dash? If so that means immobilizer is on. See if it goes off with the key on and a press of the smooth button on the FOB. If it goes out the alarm is still working just fine it just needs to be programmed for immobilizer "OFF".

I'll delete your other alarm post.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks John. My 06' brake lights went out a month ago, and I did the 3 to 11 and 6 to 10 jumps you posted years ago. So brakes work now, but the turn signals and flashers are out. So I see above you recommend adding 2 to the 6/10 jump. Will try that. You know, I never used the alarm or the electric locking system. Don't care about either one, just want the signals and flashers to work. Thanks so much for your invaluable information.

Les
Stroudsburg, PA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody in the San Diego county area familiar with the disable procedure described here and will to come up to Escondido? I have tried everything and the 2002 K1200LT still wont start.
John

·
Registered
53 Posts
John, I did jump 2 to the 6/10 wires, and now the flasher work. But the bike won't start.
The brakes lights and flashers work with or without the 12 pin connected into its harness. I removed the whole alarm system, and the brakes and flashers still work, but the bike simply won't start. Now I'm stuck.

Can someone please help?

·
Registered
53 Posts
By the way, my bike is an 06' model. There are other posts out there but many of them concern 05' bikes and older. Now I'm really confused.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
OK there is no difference in the 05 to 09 bikes. Pin 3 to 11 gets the starter signal restored and 6 to 10 powers the engine electronics relay. The alarm interrupts both of these as part of the immobilizer. Re check the 3 to 11 connection as you might have bumped it when you added 2 to the 6/10 connection. Also make sure your battery is fully charged.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks John for your reply. I will recheck the connections this weekend, as I'm working all week long. The engine did start before I jumped #2 wire, so that must be it. I did remove, however, the whole alarm system as it was just taking up space.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Another neat way to jump if you are removing the alarm is cut the 12 pin off the alarm and do the jumpers on it (the wire colors are different on the plug so make sure you jump the correct pins). Then it just plugs in. I carry one in my saddle bag in case mine fails, all I have to do is pull the top case and unplug my alarm and plug that connector on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
John, the bike starts and everything works. I had to connect one of the large-twist type connectors under the rear seat. That done, the bike fired up right away.

Thanks for your help. Could not have done it with your assistance and the internet.

I never once used the alarm and it crapped out. Can't imagine what a dealer would have charged to fix this problem! A simple fix if you know what to do.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you did the jumps of the wires, 3-11 and 2-6-10, then make sure the large twist-on connectors under the rear seat are plugged in. When I connected them, the bike started up. Good luck.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
There are only two of those large twist type that need to be removed to get the trunk off, but there are three of them under the seat. That often confuses people but the third one is a disconnect for the reverser controller, and of course, the starter signal goes through that connector. I'll have to remember to mention that in my instructions.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was wondering about the original question: Can the central locking feature be made to work while still bypassing the alarms immobilizer feature? What if instead of opening the barrel plug and jumping the wires we snipped and connected them instead? That way the alarm would still have power to control the flashers, central locks, etc. without the ability to prevent the bike from starting?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
If the alarm is being bypassed it is due to alarm failure. If the alarm is dead nothing will work and you must bypass it.

The immobilizer is a mode of the alarm along with the central locking. You can program the immobilizer to be off if the alarm is working and continue to use central locking and arming the alarm.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If the alarm is being bypassed it is due to alarm failure. If the alarm is dead nothing will work and you must bypass it.

The immobilizer is a mode of the alarm along with the central locking. You can program the immobilizer to be off if the alarm is working and continue to use central locking and arming the alarm.
Ah, I see. There is no grey area with the alarm. It's either good or dead. Thanks.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Yes the thing that kills the alarm is the internal (non-replaceable) battery. It either dies or shorts out causing fuse F4 to blow. Then you have to replace or bypass. That is the only known failure mode for the alarm I have seen in the last 14 years.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Yes the thing that kills the alarm is the internal (non-replaceable) battery. It either dies or shorts out causing fuse F4 to blow. Then you have to replace or bypass. That is the only known failure mode for the alarm I have seen in the last 14 years.
John, a quick search brought me to this discussion, which is what you were telling me recently when you were here in Ohio. As you noted on our ride to Roscoe Village, my brake lights do not work. It's a good thing you were there because I did not know that! Obviously I'm not doing my T-CLOCS inspection like I should.

In any event, thank you for this information. This kind of fix -- while relatively simple for those with the skill and knowledge -- is not my cup of tea so I will be looking for someone to bypass the alarm on my '09 K1200LT. It's a shame the central locking function can not be retained but short of replacing the alarm module regaining brake lights is a good compromise.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Yes Howard this thread has all the info he will need. The central locking could be restored and controlled by a hidden switch. That would be easy to hook up but no remote. I will work up a schematic for use here and the only additional hard ware you would need is a DPDT center off momentary switch to hide on the bike to send the juice to the servos. A good place to hide the switch would be behind the rear of the pillion seat and mount the switch to the cover plate over where the alarm resides.

Reactions: hschisler
1 - 20 of 47 Posts