BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My year 2000 k1200LT alarm/immobilizer seems to have stopped working the red LED on the dash is now not lighting up at all the buttons on the key fob flash as they should when the buttons are pressed but have no effect, the bike starts just fine my concern is one time it will not and I will be stranded with a non-starting bike. I am happy to disconnect the alarm/immobilizer just don't know how, where it is or what it looks like.
Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
OK it is not that hard to do. I am enclosing pictures for both the very early alarm and the later alarm as I am not sure when they changed it. If your alarm looks like the one in the first two pictures, well you have all the info to bypass it. If it looks like the one in the third picture I will need to get you more info.

Either way just remove the top case and the panel underneath it to access the alarm area.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you jzeiler, for the info, I have never removed the top case but I should have a chance to investigate next week. We did 80+ miles yesterday stopping and restarting at several locations and the state of the immobilizer remains not working as before but I think the sensible thing would be to disable it. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys, my first contribution, if I could join this thread, that would be great.

I have recently bought a BMW 2003 1200LT at auction,

the previous owner has removed the alarm system, so Im not sure which of the wiring went to the alarm,
But I have found that the bike starts if ground is supplied to the starter relay, which is switched at various places.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
OK Ray to bypass the removed alarm access the alarm area and find the 12 pin plug (picture 1).

Jumper pin 3 (black/white/yellow) to pin 11 (black/yellow); this is the starter button signal to the starter relay.

Then jumper pin 10 (green/violet, switched power) to pin 6 (blue/violet, engine electronics relay). Now the bike will start and run normally.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Jzeiler

Looks like I have the earlier version.

There is an 8 pin orange plug on the left, which is all that is left of the alarm wiring. The rest, I haven't found yet I think some one has cut it out with out the bypass, they installed an extra starter relay with a push button switch mounted next to the radio.
There must be a bypass some wher, as the fuel pump and ignition get power though

Ray

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
That is very odd, perhaps your bike did not come with an alarm and a dealer added the old style one. Does it reverse OK? Are you sure it is a 2003? Check the build date on the plate under the seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi jzeiler

Im pretty sure its a 2003, the compliance plate for Australia has 03 03 on it,

I have removed all the after market GPS wiring harness now that was installed for a GPS, the one with the fitted screen behind the radio, I thought that some of these wires were for an alarm but suspect ther was never an alarm fitted

I think I will need a wiring diagram for this bike, the reverse I haven't been able to get working so far and am tempted to remove the controller all together if it is possible,

Main problem is still where the starter relay gets its ground from, and it looks like through the reverse controller.

Ray

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
Yes and no, it does pass through a set of switches on the reverse knob shaft. Since the starter button operates the reverse mode it has the button switched to go to the reverser controller instead of the starter relay. Then the reverser controller sends a reduced voltage to the starter motor to effect reverse. I advise against removing the controller as neutral goes though it as well as a few other signals. To check if it is connected right is the first step.

There are three large, black with yellow stripe wires. Each has a different color sleeve at the eyelet. Red sleeve goes to the battery (+), Black sleeve goes to the starter tie point behind the battery and the Brown sleeve goes to the ground tie point behind the battery. To operate reverse the engine needs to be running, bike in neutral, side stand up, reverse knob in "R" and then press the starter button. The bike should reverse as long as you hold the starter button.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts