BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Nolan N-104 helment a couple of months ago to replace the N-102 that I have used for the past 7 years. That is to say that the N-102 was my helmet and I wore it when I wore a helmet which was not every time I rode.

I am pleased with the N-104 in many ways but have experienced one problem. When riding at highway speeds, with the chin bar down, the faceshield will not stay up. This summer when the temperatures were extremely hot, I could not stand to have the faceshield down so I parked the new helmet.

I contacted Nolan USA, thinking that it was a design problem. They were kind enough to send me a set of replacement parts for whatever they call the mounting hinge apparatus. But the guy quickly expressed the opinion that it was probably due to dirty air. And in my gut I know he is correct so I haven't changed out the parts yet.

I ride with my windshield down, looking over the top. I have ridden that way for years on two LT's. My N-102 did not have this problem and that is why I was thinking it was due to a design problem with the N-104 related to the click stops on the faceshield adjustment hinging mechanism.

My wife is still using her N-102 and she told me after our ride last weekend that her faceshield would not stay up. That was a first. So I am now looking elsewhere for the problem/solution.

My current LT has an OEM tall windshield. I had a Cee Bailey windshield on my other LT, the model with the reverse contour, designed to force the air envelope higher. I am thinking that difference must be why I am having a dirty air problem now that I did not have before.

Anybody else have a problem like this?

·
Registered
322 Posts
How do you have the winglets under the mirror set? I get a lot of turbulence at my helmet when they are full open (parallel to the bike) and very little when they are closed.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the wings tucked in close to the fairing due to that gives the most air flow to my lower body. But I will certainly try them in the outmost position. If that will fix the problem it will be much better than changing the windshield or the helmet. Thanks for the suggestion. I will report results as soon as I have the chance to try it out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sorry to report that adjusting the winglets did not help. The faceshield stayed up until my speed reached 60 mph which is of course really about 55. Then it abruptly slammed shut, just like it had done before with the winglets tucked in. That was on a two lane road with no wind and no traffic. This is frustrating. Even at today's 82 degree temperature it is too hot inside that helmet for me.

I guess I will have to change out the hinge mechanism just so I can be satisfied that I have done all that I can to make this work short of buying a new windshield or tossing my new helmet.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
My SYMAX II does the same thing. Irritates the crap out of me. Am thinking of trading to one of these new helmets with the visor lock, or maybe building a pinning devise to lock it in the up position.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Putting the windshield higher alleviates the problem. On my way home from work I put the windshield all the way up, got my speed up to 80 mph and the faceshield stayed open just fine. When I dropped my speed to 60 mph and lowered the windshield to where I could see over the top, the faceshield slammed shut just like it has been doing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I find the same thing with my old N-100. I usually ride with the shield two clicks from closed giving me about a 1/2 inch opening. Several times when I have been in the process of accelerating into DC traffic with the windshield fully down the shield has closed on it's own.

·
Premium Member
7,859 Posts
tips727 said:
I bought a new Nolan N-104 helment a couple of months ago to replace the N-102 that I have used for the past 7 years. That is to say that the N-102 was my helmet and I wore it when I wore a helmet which was not every time I rode.

I am pleased with the N-104 in many ways but have experienced one problem. When riding at highway speeds, with the chin bar down, the faceshield will not stay up. This summer when the temperatures were extremely hot, I could not stand to have the faceshield down so I parked the new helmet.

I contacted Nolan USA, thinking that it was a design problem. They were kind enough to send me a set of replacement parts for whatever they call the mounting hinge apparatus. But the guy quickly expressed the opinion that it was probably due to dirty air. And in my gut I know he is correct so I haven't changed out the parts yet.

I ride with my windshield down, looking over the top. I have ridden that way for years on two LT's. My N-102 did not have this problem and that is why I was thinking it was due to a design problem with the N-104 related to the click stops on the faceshield adjustment hinging mechanism.

My wife is still using her N-102 and she told me after our ride last weekend that her faceshield would not stay up. That was a first. So I am now looking elsewhere for the problem/solution.

My current LT has an OEM tall windshield. I had a Cee Bailey windshield on my other LT, the model with the reverse contour, designed to force the air envelope higher. I am thinking that difference must be why I am having a dirty air problem now that I did not have before.

Anybody else have a problem like this?
I have an older HJC that has this problem,. but my newer HJC has a much stiffer shield that stays open no matter what. The new one is almost too stiff as it can be hard to open with gloves on.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the final report on the dirty air problem that causes my faceshield to slam shut at highway speeds. I did install the new hinge mechanism that the distributor was kind enough to provide and got the same results. The only thing I can to do to keep the faceshield up is to raise the windshield. Raising it just a couple of inches changes the air flow enough to solve the problem and at that height I can still see over the top. It is not my preference but I can live with it so I will quit whining now.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Tips... Did you change the air filter to clean the dirty air? Might help... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
795 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Tips... Did you change the air filter to clean the dirty air? Might help... :rolleyes:
In every thread there's always one :histerica

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
copperstatetour said:
In every thread there's always one :histerica
You rang??? :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RonKMiller said:
Common problem with the N-102. Mine does the same thing, I put some tiny o-rings on the hinge mechanism and it is solved.
Wow - that is a great idea. The only thing I had thought of that might exert more pressure is a more powerful spring but seeing how it is made, I know better than to take that on. Is there anything that I should know before I dig in to the O-Ring project?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the Post Post Script on this thing. I tried to find and o-ring fix and was unable to do so. Even the skinniest one would keep the visor from latching. If anybody comes up with a fix I will glad to publicly acknowledge that they are smarter than me. Oh, and buy them a 6-pack of Dos Equis.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts