BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 RT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new here..enjoy the community..and have a couple questions.

I came from the Glh Goldwing and have been eying the 2011 rt

..travel for me from the house to the asphalt is 3/4 mi. of hard pack dirt and gravel. The Goldwing did quite fine for that and a lot of my dirt road experiences with it...How is the Rt??

..will the Wing outrun the Rt in 1/4 mi??

Thanks -
pipestone

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
pipestone said:
Hello everyone, I'm new here..enjoy the community..and have a couple questions.

I came from the Glh Goldwing and have been eying the 2011 rt

..travel for me from the house to the asphalt is 3/4 mi. of hard pack dirt and gravel. The Goldwing did quite fine for that and a lot of my dirt road experiences with it...How is the Rt??

..will the Wing outrun the Rt in 1/4 mi??

Thanks -
pipestone
Pipestone - The RT will do fine on the hard pack. I've had mine on soft dirt roads and except for the street tires being a little slippery and the suspension being soft it handled well. And if you get Electronic Suspension Adjustment on the RT you can adjust on the fly. If the GW is your point of reference you'll feel almost like you're on an enduro bike.

Acceleration - no contest, the RT will blow the doors off the GW. Assume 175 lb rider, the loaded RT has a hp/wt ratio of 110/845=0.130, Leadwing has 118/1170=0.101. Gearing may affect actual performance (the RT has a notoriously tall first gear) but it's hard for the Wing to overcome a 30% weight penalty.

But the real answer is - ride one. It's a totally different feel from the GW. There's a reason that the GW is a "touring" bike and the RT is a "sport touring" bike.

JayJay

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
The RT does just fine on dirt roads. Skip the shale and sand. I have put miles on while getting somewhere in the back country and so have my friends. And just like any dirt bike, the faster you go the better it is.

·
Registered
2011 RT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gentlemen for your replies!!

...a demo ride probably isn't going to happen before purchase...things got pretty serious at the dealership last week...all the other contenders either didn't fit or felt a little top heavy. Feel for the ride changes as you age :(

pipestone

1 - 4 of 4 Posts