BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that a long time after a turn is executed, the directional blinkers on an LT finallly go off without having to hit the right thumb "blinker off" reset button. Is there some potentiometer on some "TDDE" time delay de energize relay or something that you can tweak on to shorten that time with or some other secret, like a sensor of when a turn is complete to install to stop the blinking cycle than such frequent use of the thumb switch? Thanks; Greg.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Cancelling the blinker with the right switch has become a habit. I do it automatically now. If the blinks were any shorter they'd go off too soon for some of my left turns at speed.......... :D

·
Registered
876 Posts
The self cancelling turn signals were first introduced on the K100 in 1983 (I think). In the riders handbook for that model there is a lengthy explanation for the operating logic, it is much more than just counting the flashes, the system has quite a few inputs, one being from the speedometer, if the bike is stopped the flashers will continue to operate until a certain speed is reached, presuming I guess that the turn has been completed, etc, etc. I don't think any mods to the operating control logic would be easily possible. Just train your brain to speak to your right thumb.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Yep, I too have my brain trained to use the right thumb button after every turn.

At highway speeds it will cancel to early so I hit the turn button again before reaching the turn, then as soon as I turn my thumb does it's thing.

I think at slow speeds in town, it's REALLY important to cancel the signal as soon as you finish your turn since others may think you're going to turn at the next block and you don't because your signal is still blinking. Not a good thing in my opinion.

It is nice that it'll continue to blink at a left turn stop.

Just my .02 cents worth on the subject.
Vern :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
vernvernvern said:
Yep, I too have my brain trained to use the right thumb button after every turn.

At highway speeds it will cancel to early so I hit the turn button again before reaching the turn, then as soon as I turn my thumb does it's thing.

I think at slow speeds in town, it's REALLY important to cancel the signal as soon as you finish your turn since others may think you're going to turn at the next block and you don't because your signal is still blinking. Not a good thing in my opinion.

+1

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
vernvernvern said:

Just my .02 cents worth on the subject.
Vern :bmw:
+2 Like many others, I've trained myself to turn them off with my thumb. I look at the canceling feature as a "back up" system.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,939 Posts
At speed you get about 13 flashes before it self cancels. Below 25 MPH (guesstimate) it will stay on forever.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
....and then when you get your K1600, you get to retrain your muscle memory! one switch on the left side.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I still find myself looking for it. Works the same except that it is one switch.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
DanDiver said:
....and then when you get your K1600, you get to retrain your muscle memory! one switch on the left side.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I still find myself looking for it. Works the same except that it is one switch.
I know what you mean Dan. When I first got my LT I didn't like the left & right paddle switches. Now when I ride another bike I find out how much I'm spoiled.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Have two BMWs with self-cancelling signals and still figuring out exactly how it works - what my experience tells me are two things:

1. there is a distance component, if you come to a stop, the distance seems to be reset to zero and start over. I have read that the number is 200m, but I cannot verify that.

2. Others have mentioned it is speed specific and I agree, it also seems to be triggered off by increasing speed, especially when I shift from 1 to 2 through neutral. Often I find myself in situations where I signal a turn and slow to 1st gear speed , then accelerate again to 2nd and the blinker goes off regardless of how far I have traveled.

I wish someone had a iron-clad answer to this because my curiosity has been aroused about this for a few years now and can't exactly figure it out with precision. It seems that whenever I test a theory I can't always get the same result so there is obviously a factor that I am unaware of aside from the two I mentioned.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
NCCCC1 said:
I notice that a long time after a turn is executed, the directional blinkers on an LT finallly go off without having to hit the right thumb "blinker off" reset button. Is there some potentiometer on some "TDDE" time delay de energize relay or something that you can tweak on to shorten that time with or some other secret, like a sensor of when a turn is complete to install to stop the blinking cycle than such frequent use of the thumb switch? Thanks; Greg.
This was discussed years ago. Same ideas suggested, number of flashes, etc.

Someone said that the turn signal auto cancels after a set distance. I've forgotten the distance, maybe 0.3 miles or something. I wonder if they were correct so I paid attention while riding, and sure enough, it seems the bike cancels after a preset distance.
Try it, I suspect you'll reach the same conclusion unless BMW changed the system in later models.

I never heard of any method of changing the setting.

So never mind counting flashes, the flash interval is constant, the variable is distance and the number of flashes and duration before auto cancel is directly related to speed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
In a "previous life" I rode a 1984 Honda V65 Magna. According to my Clymer the bike came out with self cancelling signals, but mine never worked. If memory serves correctly, the Clymer said that the "blink time" was based on several things- speed, lean angle, time, maybe some other factors.

Since the LT's we are riding now are 20 years or so newer, and technology has advanced at break-neck speed, I would bet that the signals on these bikes use all of these factors plus a plethora of others. There are now ECU's for several different systems that weren't around in the mid-80's. I'm guessing they are WAY more complicated now than they were then!

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you hold the BC button while turning the key on and then shift into first gear then hit the man button on the radio then turn on the high beam ..you can then set the amount of time delay by using the seek button.
Your results may vary! :dance:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Bones1955 said:
If you hold the BC button while turning the key on and then shift into first gear then hit the man button on the radio then turn on the high beam ..you can then set the amount of time delay by using the seek button.
Can you do all that with just two hands? :histerica

·
Registered
602 Posts
Bones1955 said:
I tried this today. It only works if the bike is in reverse with the hazard lights flashing :rotf:

·
Registered
876 Posts
I tried it, it works on 1 side only, so you need to have the hazard lights flashing and then do it, that way it resets both sides at once. Oh, and it only works if you run Mobil 1 in the engine and you are at a Walmart car park.. That's why we can't change it here in Oz ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input. I will merely train my brain to just sub consciously command the right thumb to go UP to the almost weird location, to push the cancel button automatially, robotically when a turn has finished being executed, while so much is going on, in traffic, all at once and scanning for post turn dangers as well. Must become second nature/habit. Great humor too!!! Changed my first low beam H7 bulb yesterday. Went with the regular one, not the super brights, only because of the higher reliability factor and besides, I already did the Don Muddiman, $40 autozone aux lighting idea. Greg.

·
Registered
256 Posts
NCCCC1 said:
...I will merely train my brain to just sub consciously command the right thumb to go UP to the almost weird location, to push the cancel button...
Being 'of a certain age' and having ridden for decades before the invention of automatic turn signals, it has become second nature. The challenge no longer to use the reflex to cancel the signals, but to summon the memory of which bike I am riding and where they put the fool switch...

...when a turn has finished being executed, while so much is going on, in traffic, all at once and scanning for post turn dangers as well.
Well, don't be in such a hurry to cancel the signals! Once you are past the danger point, go ahead and cancel the signal.

Beside, nobody else is watching your signals anyway! :D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts