BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have looked all over the place and finally figure that maybe I'm just blind after all. I want to find a digital VoltMeter that will give me readings between 9 and 16 volts. Got to be able to see actual numbers.....not just an arrow or a light somewhere between 12 and 14V. I'd like to hook it to the battery and get a real reading of what the charging rate is while I'm out on the road. I've been using the reading on my Garmin, but it's really freaking me out with readings that are showing 10.7(at the low end...while idling) to only 12.4 while running at speed. (It's wired thru a Centech fuse block). But I can connect a DC volt meter directly to the battery and it shows 13.8 to 14.1 while on the road (I don't remember what it shows at idle), Can somebody point a finger in the right direction here?

TIA
Pat.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have looked all over the place and finally figure that maybe I'm just blind after all. I want to find a digital VoltMeter that will give me readings between 9 and 16 volts. Got to be able to see actual numbers.....not just an arrow or a light somewhere between 12 and 14V. I'd like to hook it to the battery and get a real reading of what the charging rate is while I'm out on the road. I've been using the reading on my Garmin, but it's really freaking me out with readings that are showing 10.7(at the low end...while idling) to only 12.4 while running at speed. (It's wired thru a Centech fuse block). But I can connect a DC volt meter directly to the battery and it shows 13.8 to 14.1 while on the road (I don't remember what it shows at idle), Can somebody point a finger in the right direction here?

TIA
Pat

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,114 Posts
One little trick I have learned. After a new post go back and look at it and then check the links at the bottom of the page. You will find good info in the middle one.

·
Registered
244 Posts
PATTERSON said:

TIA
Pat.
I installed the Datel Meter.. a little over an inch by 3/4 and nice bright RED.. here is a link.. http://www.digitalmeter.com/cgi-bin/webshop.cgi?config=ent-datel I like the visibility, but might be a bit bright to some folks at night as it does not dim.. Better be there than not tho !!!

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
This is the thread with most of what you are looking for:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21335

I used the same one too. I lowered the alarm light abd cut out a small hole. Glued the bezel on. I can't remember though, what it is wired to, but I can check the voltage when the key is in th first position and then all the way on for the load.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be dipped.............thanks John I never noticed that before............you too Dano, I now have one (w/bezel, on order. When my wife see how much I spent tonight......I'm thinkin it's gonna be "let it be one of my Christmas presents honey!" After all, I did manage to save enough to buy her one of those Nook Book things.........

Thanks again you guys.

Pat

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys......by the time I came to your two posts, I had an answer from John and Dano and now have the Datel Meter on order.................while the ChargeGuard looked really cool with the 3 other display options, it was way, way more than my "unemployed, retired military" paycheck would allow...........at the lower cost, I'll be one smiling guy now...........

Thanks again
Pat

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lordy lordy lordy.......'tis been a bit better than 2 weeks now, and still noooooo meter. Sent an email back to the company (sales) Monday.....and didn't hear anything......sent another on Tuesday and got a note back that the thing was "out of stock" and that they had shipped it Monday........uh huh........right. Soooooo you guys, if you don't get a UPS tracking number within a day or two, holler and find out what's going on. Honestly, I think if I let it slide for another month....I still wouldn't have heard from them. You can bet if I was in any business during these times I'd for sure go a bit beyond to get and keep ANY customers................

Really disappointed.......
Pat

·
Registered
747 Posts
Take a look a the Battery Bug motorcycle model. About $50 and a very easy install compared to the datel.

Its a digital voltmeter which also stores a "%" reading for last start plus it has alarms built in.

Neat little piece but a few more $

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
racer7 said:
Take a look a the Battery Bug motorcycle model. About $50 and a very easy install compared to the datel.

Its a digital voltmeter which also stores a "%" reading for last start plus it has alarms built in.

Neat little piece but a few more $
+1 Ordered a Battery Bug yesterday.
http://www.amazon.com/Argus-BB-SBM12-PS-Battery-Monitor-Motorcycles/dp/B0029VY4G4/ref=pd_sim_auto_2
Looks like a pretty trick little device.
Putting it on my Suzuki DR650 which is electrically challenged (small output stator).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I got the Battery Bug from Amazon and it looks great. I like the fact that you could even hide it and it will alarm if anything is wrong. Nice design, big display.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
FWIW, I just received a digital VM, 4 weeks after I ordered & paid for it on Ebay. My fault, I didn't notice that it was coming from CHINA :( Had I seen that in the first place, I would have searched further for a supplier in the U.S. even though, I am sure they all originate in China. Prolly DATEL gets their units from China as well. I sure hate the way the world is today, but like all things, "this too shall change"! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts