BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i'm slow. anybody know the difference between these two products?

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/ontheRoad/

MapSource® City Navigator North America v7 features fully routable detailed maps with updated road details throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico. Our street maps along with nearly 6 million points of interest provide the kind of map detail your adventures demand. Version 7 now includes larger map segments for easier map selection and downloading — so there's less chance you'll miss an area when planning your next trip!

This software is not sold separately in the U.S. or Canada. See the product compatibility table (right) for a list of products that are packaged with this software.

Version 7 features include:

Premium maps contain full coverage throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico including metropolitan and rural areas
Includes detailed maps containing highways, interstates, business and residential roads with attributes such as turn restrictions, roundabout guidance, speed categories and other navigation features
Displays nearly 6 million points of interest such as:
food and drink
lodging
attractions
entertainment
shopping
emergency services
post offices
camp grounds
movie theaters and more
Will automatically create point-to-point routes in MapSource and on the StreetPilot III, StreetPilot 2610 and StreetPilot 2650
Supplemental coverage of Hawaii provided using unverified government data
With the “Unlock Wizard” to guide you through the unlock process
Trip and waypoint management feature lets you transfer waypoints, routes and tracks between your Garmin GPS and your PC**

------------------------------------------
and...
------------------------------------------

With MapSource City Select North America v7, you can literally travel to a new city, look up your hotel, restaurants, and other services and use your compatible Garmin GPS to guide you there without stopping for directions. This DVD includes fully routable detailed maps throughout the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. It is included with the purchase of several Garmin® units and is also available for purchase as a stand-alone product. See the product compatibility table (right) for a list of products that Garmin recommends with this software.

Version 7 features include:

Maps contain full coverage throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, including metropolitan and rural coverage
Includes detailed maps containing highways, interstates, business and residential roads with attributes such as turn restrictions, speed categories and other navigation features
Displays nearly 6 million points of interest such as:
food and drink
lodging
attractions
entertainment
shopping
emergency services
post offices
camp grounds
movie theaters and more
Will automatically create point-to-point routes in MapSource and on compatible Garmin GPS units
Supplemental coverage of Hawaii provided using unverified governmental sources
With the “Unlock Wizard” to guide you through the unlock process
Trip and waypoint management feature lets you transfer waypoints, routes, and tracks between your Garmin GPS and your PC**

hmmmmmm....? One is available only with a new unit (Navigator)?

·
Registered
131 Posts
They support different devices, primarily downloadable vs. permanent install.

They are also slightly different data bases, different compression, different cost to upgrade. For most uses, no real difference. Cost of upgrades can really change the total cost of ownership though.

So you buying the 376c or the 2720?

-jeff

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
376c. Bought it a week or so ago. Installed last Saturday. Rode from Chicago to Winslows AZ on an Iron Butt ride Tuesday, continue to Vegas today. Will ride back to Chicago starting tomorrow.

XM Radio rocks. I already knew that as I've had it for a few years, but it's nice that it is one integrated unit. The WX stuff is pretty cool too. Not sure whether it is worth the premium, but I really didn't have any bad weather coming out here. I'll post a detailed ride report with plenty of 376c info after my ride home - didn't have time to stop and smell the roses on the way out.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
First long trip with 2720.

I just got back from a little 1,200 mile weekend on my Bonne through the sweet roads of NW Arkansas. I had the 2720 mounted front and center and used it to route me around the entire time. Some routes were pre-built in Mapsource and downloaded onto the 2720 and some were ad-hoc. Note that I have only an old copy of Metroguide maps on my PC so the 2720 asked to re-calculate each time. This didn't cause me any problems because I had sufficient waypoints to ensure the proper roads were still selected 95% of the time. When the 2720 did change my route, it was for the better.

The 2720 worked flawlessly and was easy to use even with my heavy electric gloves on. The only challenge with gloves is trying to use the spelling keyboard which I only needed once. It can be done at speed but takes practice. All the other touch screen functions you need on the go have big buttons.

The only thing I don't like about this unit compared to my eMap and SPIII are the zoom buttons. For some reason, they seem to have a mind of their own (and no, I don't have Autozoom enabled). I mean that one press of the "+" or "-" key seems to move a random number of zoom levels, not just the one per press I desire. Also, I can't seem to figure out any way to have the current zoom level displayed on the main map screen in miles rather than the graduated bar scale. I see the miles setting on turn-by-turn screens and search-by-map screens sometimes but never on the main map. Having it read in miles helps me judge distance and I really miss that.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
D'oh. It just occurred to me that the zoom level scale is a graduated bar in 3D view mode because the perspective makes an actual zoom level figure meaningless. I am assuming it shows actual zoom level (such as "1.2 mile") in 2D views.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts