BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had a crash that changed your feelings towards riding? I had my crash on May 31. Was riding a Vstrom and loved it, except for some ergo issues. I loved the feel and handling of that bike and was very comfortable on it and with it. I could lean it til passenger pegs scraped confidently. Was not a speed demon or anything though. I liked riding in a spirited manner. Could do any MSF BRC exercises on the strom.

After crash, wanted to ride again, looked forward to it, but felt like I was ready to slow down some, enjoy the ride a little more, etc. So a big tourer was what I thought I wanted. So here I am with an LT which is awesome on the slab and on sweepers.

But now for the real issue: I am just nowhere near comfortable on the LT after 2000 miles. I can't even get close to doing the MSF U turn box in the 20' box; not reall good with the 24'. BUT, I haven't really come close to dumping it in a parking lot. I use the techniques and such and can even U turn in my street (3 cars+ wide) feet up. The offset weaves we use in class? Nope. I can get a few, but not all.

I haven't been in a slow speed situation that really caused concern. Just not comfortable. At road speeds, in the twisties, not really comfortable leaning this thing over, although I read where you guys do it all the time. I feel like a newbie again.

I'm wondering how much is me and the bike getting familiar, or how much is me having a crash? Riding is not as much fun as it used to be. There is much more concern on may part about crashing again. I am way more nervous than I have been in years. I have already said that if I survive another crash like the last one, I will not get back on.

I was talking and thinking this weekend that I'm almost ready to trade the LT for a fully loaded Vstrom. But then, what if I get the Vstrom and find that I'm still not comfortable?

It's all me, I know, and my mind. I know when I went thru the twisties this weekend I was riding at a snails pace, but really did not feel comfortable going faster. I know the bike has more there. I was watching in the mirrors as slugbug was coming thru and saw that he was barely leaning.

I'm going to give the LT and my riding some more time, but I also keep thinking there are 4 wheeled vehicles out there that are very sporting (miata, maybe?) that give me the open air, sporting experience (rush)that the motorcycle does. And the motorcycle is mroe than riding to me. I like fiddling with it, adding little farkles here and there, maintenance, improvements, etc. A sports car could do the same in that regard too.

In talking to another coach who crashed similarly (but worse) last year, he is having the same kind of issues.

Thanks for "listening" guys - just trying to work out some "stuff"....
rando

·
Registered
607 Posts
Just give it time

Although I haven't experienced a crash on the motorcycle (he said, keeping fingers crossed) I have crashed - hard - while racing karts. After I healed and was medically cleared to race again, and with a new, updated chassis under me, I found myself to be a few seconds slower on my lap times than I had been pre-crash. Although I desperately looked for excuses in the set up or powerplant, I knew inside that it was me not being willing to push for that last tenth of speed. It lasted about 2 races, and then I was back to full speed again.
Give it time and just try to relax and enjoy the ride, no matter what speed you're travelling. I think you'll find that as your confidence comes back, your speed may creep up again. If it doesn't, hey, that's fine too, as long as you enjoy yourself and your bike. Just don't push beyond your comfort zone too soon, just for the sake of going as fast as you used to.
Oh, it will take some time (and quite a few miles) to get fully comfy with the LT. I don't think anyone ever gets too cocky with them at low speed. I rode mine for over 2 months before I'd let Telle (the missus) hop on the back seat.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
It took me 8-10 months after my crash before I really felt like getting sporty again, give it time.
You're also on a dramatically different bike. Give that time too.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I miss my strom and how it felt so good to me. Don;t get me wrong the LT feels good and I feel better physically after riding it than I did on the Strom. The strom is luxury, just as the name would imply.

I know all this is between my ears. I am an MSF coach and am not smooth even on small class bikes either. Comes from being off bike for a couple months.

It will get better - I still like riding, just not limited sight line riding. And not comfortable with the LT's abilities yet.

More riding would seem to be in order.....

Rando

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Time , Time , Time

It takes a long time to "master" the LT...

I took the ERC after owning the bike about 6 months and the "box" was still very difficult... Now over a year later I am just getting comfortable with those kinds of manuvers...Making any kind of a U turn on the LT is not something that is easy for anyone...She's a big top heavy beast and she loves the speed but is a little more "snippy" at low speeds... It'll just take a lot of time and a lot of practice...

As the MSF instructer told me while we were picking my bike up:),

If you go outside the lines in the box you just loose a few points.. If you drop the bike in the box (during the final test ) you fail the course....

Now in my own defense the winds were blowing about 40 mph and gusting even more that day and I really believe it was the wind that got me... But
That bike is just a whole big handfull at those speeds... Now I know that doing manuvers like that you've got to keep your speed up and if you start to get in trouble THROTTLE will get you out... When she starts to drop just goose her and she'll pop right back up.. That takes a while to get used to...
In tight situations you really have to treat it more like a dirt bike than a cruiser..Lay it over and pop the gas to her and she'll turn just like a big dirt bike..

Anyone can ride a Vstrom.....

It takes a real rider to handle an LT...

Keep at it and you'll be fine...

John

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Well, I have been one that has come back after three very bad crashes, Totaled two LTs. It certainly did take some time to get comfortable again after each one. I did get comfortable though, and probably rode just as hard as always after a few thousand miles. That did not take long in time, as I was riding average 30,000 miles/year.

Guess what. I STILL want another bike! I know I would start out a little tentative again, especially since it has been two years now since I had one. I did take a demo ride on a new K1200GT a few weeks ago, could see some real enjoyment promised there.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jpspen said:
It takes a long time to "master" the LT...

I took the ERC after owning the bike about 6 months and the "box" was still very difficult... Now over a year later I am just getting comfortable with those kinds of manuvers...Making any kind of a U turn on the LT is not something that is easy for anyone...She's a big top heavy beast and she loves the speed but is a little more "snippy" at low speeds... It'll just take a lot of time and a lot of practice...

As the MSF instructer told me while we were picking my bike up:),

If you go outside the lines in the box you just loose a few points.. If you drop the bike in the box (during the final test ) you fail the course....

Anyone can ride a Vstrom.....

John
Yeah, my co coach this weekend said same about riding a strom. And it's true, the strom is easy to ride.

It's kinda funny, I know all the "tricks" and coaching that goes with the box, yet still can't make the mind and body follow....

I'll get there. Thanks for the words all.

DS: get your avatar back....I was going to add mine, but apparently is lost with the last computer I had.

Rando

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I live just a couple of blocks away from a msf range course and I ride it often and the box is still elusive have done it a couple of times, not done it more. The LT is a beast in the box.

As far as the bike accident is concerned it will take some time to get over it mentaly, just ride it out son just ride it out.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Try Becoming Tangibly Proactive

rando said:
Anyone had a crash that changed your feelings towards riding? I had my crash on May 31.......Could do any MSF BRC exercises on the strom......

But now for the real issue: I am just nowhere near comfortable on the LT after 2000 miles. I can't even get close to doing the MSF U turn box in the 20' box; not reall good with the 24'. BUT, I haven't really come close to dumping it in a parking lot. I use the techniques and such and can even U turn in my street (3 cars+ wide) feet up. The offset weaves we use in class? Nope. I can get a few, but not all.

In talking to another coach who crashed similarly (but worse) last year, he is having the same kind of issues.

Thanks for "listening" guys - just trying to work out some "stuff"....
rando
My 2 cents...

*purchase a riding video like "Ride Like a Pro" from motor officer Jerry Palladino, 866-868-7433, cost me about $30.00 and was a GREAT confidence booster while I watched women whip the Gold Wings around like dirt bikes
*Remove any lower j-pegs if you have them especially the XL type while getting comfortable and practicing
*Get some 1" high pressure red rubber hose and cut to cover the drop bars while becoming increasingly comfortable and practicing (see pics). This will reduce your fear of damage in a slow speed lay-down while practicing
*Like most instructions indicate, rear brake, reacquaint yourself with the "friction zone" feathering the (dry) clutch, and double your idle RPM. Practice the "go as slow as possible race". Note: because of the dry clutch, try to rely on increased rear brake to maintain "centripetal force" (Not centrifugal)
*hang in there and don't quit!!! Using the above I've accomplished full lock turns.

Keep the rubberside down!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
rando said:
Anyone had a crash that changed your feelings towards riding?
My SO, Kathy had a crash on her F650 last July and is still going to PT twice a week for her right hand. She was hesitant at first to get on the back of our LT but now is totally comfortable after I babied her a bit. Not sure if she'll ride her own bike again yet, but I won't push her. She'll make that decision herself when/if she is ready. She is still at a beginner level.

rando said:
rando
It took me almost a year before being comfortable at low speed on the LT with a passenger and load. However once the LT is rolling I had no issues. Because it is a heavy bike you need to be assertive when you counter steer or stop the bike, unlike your lighter Strom. So just give yourself the time to be confident and ride your ride. Don't push yourself, there is no mileage in it. Be safe and the rest will come back to you in due time!

·
Registered
493 Posts
What a Great Idea!!

SmokinJoe said:
*Get some 1" high pressure red rubber hose and cut to cover the drop bars while becoming increasingly comfortable and practicing (see pics). This will reduce your fear of damage in a slow speed lay-down while practicing ...
I've got the "Ride Like a Pro" videos and ran aground trying to complete the 24' circle exercise. Would have been great to have those hoses attached. Also had the xl Jpegs on as well so all your tips would have been handy!! Thanks for posting this!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
dglenn1 said:
I've got the "Ride Like a Pro" videos and ran aground trying to complete the 24" circle exercise. Would have been great to have those hoses attached. Also had the xl Jpegs on as well so all your tips would have been handy!! Thanks for posting this!
Then be sure to see this thread on j-peg relocation

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=15106

I still have a problem peeking where I don't want to go..the biggest trick is whipping your head around "like an Owl" and not looking any where other than where you want to go! I am now working on the tight maneuvers with the SO on board.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
I've had two nasty crashes, both of which affected me, and one my wife. We were hit by a truck from behind about 4 years ago, and my wife swore off riding after that, and I was very nervous about being on the road for a few months. I still watch the mirrors intently at stops and rarely stay at the end of a line of traffic. The other was on wet pavement on the coast highway where I came around a corner and rode into something slick I couldn't see, lost traction and had a 2-wheeled slide off the road into a ditch, after which i was punted off the bike and it high-sided onto the roadway. To this day I'm very pensive riding in the wet (especially in curves), and honestly I feel I've just backed of a little bit in most of my riding.

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
5 years ago, I had a "run-in" with a left turner. I came out relatively unscathed, but the bike was totaled. It took a while for me to get my confidence back up. It got me to do ERCs and a Track Days. It reinstilled my faith in ATGATT.

Here are the lingering effects.

1. I hate riding in the city. I used to commute and use the bike for in-town trips to the store. I don't do this very much anymore. When I cross the DFW metroplex, it is a stressful experience. The first chance I have to get out of town, I'm there. I'll go 100 miles out of my way to avoid city riding.

2. I don't like riding in groups. Unless I know the people in the group very well, understand their riding habits, and have a level of trust with them, I won't do it. Leading groups is even more of a beating for me. I'll do it, but I don't enjoy it that much. Put me in the back of the pack and I'm fine. I'm sure I've pissed off many a rider by not riding in their group (or leading a group), but that's their problem, not mine.

3. I get a lump in my stomach anytime I even ride around the block without all the gear on. Got a wild hair to ride to dinner without the gear one evening when we were in Jasper, AR. The restaurant was 10 miles away. That was the most unnerving 20 mile trip I have ever done in my life. Never again!

4. I've put more miles on motorcycles in the 5 years since the accident than in the combined 20+ the years leading up to the accident. Probably since I don't do the short city trips anymore, and go all those extra miles to avoid crowded traffic situations.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again folks. I'm really studying what's going on between me and the bike.

I'm still enjoying it, mostly, just not like I used to.

Rando.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Any vehicle accident can leave you apprehensive for a while. I decided long ago I will not let that stop my riding. If the injuries are serious and effect normal riding I will go the side car or trike route but I will ride. I have avoided hospital time but have had a couple of 'incidents'that required a painful recovery. I even rode home with what turned out to be a broken collar bone and tweaked back rather than let some idiot in a tow truck handle my bike. I never lost interest in riding but did lose interest in one non-BMW sport bike that was just not safe to ride without more sport bike skills than I cared to aquire.
As to the LT, give it time. It took a while before I was really comfortable on it but it was worth the effort to learn. I can't imaginge not owning one at this point.

·
Registered
493 Posts
SmokinJoe said:
I saw that, looks nice. I've removed the pegs for now. I think the XL's are too big for me, when I've tried to use them they are too much of a stretch to reach. I commute most of the time in dense traffic anyway so not much of an opportunity to use them. The bike came with them installed so I'll be exploring different options. Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've crashed several times although it's been almost 25 years since my last kiss of the pavement. It's good to see you got right back on; that's half the battle after an injury.

Remember, the LT is a big beast and will always be a more awkward thing to push around at low speeds. I believe you are having second thoughts about your decision to buy the LT. I hate to say it but I think you want a lighter bike to throw around and have a little fun with. I keep an old Honda 750K for around town fun. You might consider a second bike or trade for a RT.

Regarding the convertible: I have a Mini Cooper S convertible that is a blast to drive but it is in no way comparable to a motorcycle. I have joked with my friends however that when I get old and feeble enough to consider a trike that I will just keep the top down on the Mini when it rains.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
I haven't had a crash in the short time I've been riding, but I was impressed with your post -- you obviously have your head screwed on straight, and IMO the very fact that you are debating/discussing these issues tell me that it will all work out for you. You will, one day, answer your own question.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. It's been cool just having folks reply that I'm not the only one whose been in this predicament. We're getting there. I find myself wanting to ride, even took the LT to the mall for a headphone cable last night.

I'd love to have a 650 strom to blast around town and for short trips, but we're not in a position to have two bikes right now, so the LT is my only weapon of choice for the time being.

Thanks
Rando

1 - 20 of 49 Posts