BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, just did the clutch and final drive, put it back together and took a 70 mile test ride. All OK, but some vibration at about 80. Attributed that to tires, with new ones on order. Took it into town today, with the vibration coming on first near 65, then 60 and now at 45. Also picking up a clanking sound, intermittent, and not rhythmic. Decided to trailer it home and am in the process of tearing into it.
At this point I'm into the swing arm, but noticed some movement in the U-Joint at the final drive. It moves in and out about 1/8", in the photo, that would be left to right. Is that normal. What's worse, though, is that the grease pattern suggests that the drive line has moved back to the U-joint itself. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pulling the swing arm now, drive shaft seems to move "twice", like two bumps, when pulled. I'm going to remove it now. Be a couple of minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
fpmlt said:
I'm pulling the swing arm now, drive shaft seems to move "twice", like two bumps, when pulled. I'm going to remove it now. Be a couple of minutes.
My two cents.....you did not seat the one of the two spring clips on the drive shaft.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My fault. When I put the drive shaft on, I neglected to install the small clip on the transmission shaft. The drive shaft had backed down the swing arm, hit the u-joint at the final drive. It was wobbling and hitting the sides of the swing arm. I got lucky when I got smart enough to shut it down and trailer it home. For about $2 and no brains, I could'a really screwed things up.
Sorry for the trouble. Hope someone else learns from this.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
I can tell you I fussed on the front one like nobody's business. It was truly a pain in the rump and I needed to get my neighbor after a bunch of time struggling. As I did not have any idea what force was needed to seat the clips I was being too gentle, but I was trying to keep it from turning to keep the drive shaft phased, and line the splines up, all the while Honda Moly spread all over the place :rotf:

Glad you got it sorted out and no worries.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, I checked my Clymers, and can find nothing about synching the shaft. What's this process? What do I need to sync what to?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Whew Frank! Glad you decided to trailer it home as well. This is how we learn, by experience. Tks for sharing with us so that we all can hopefully avoid same mistake in the future.

John

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man do I feel like a bonehead! We found the clip stuck inside the shaft, near the U joint. Cleaned it up and it goes together JUST LIKE THE MANUAL SAYS!!! One good whack with a rubber mallet and I heard it pop into place. Makes sense now, as I think back to how hard it was to get the shaft off.

BMW - 1
FPM - 0

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,948 Posts
Syncing the shaft is nothing more that aligning the U-joints. The trans side outer should line up with the rear drive outer. I usually just mark both parts where the splines come together then I don't have to look up in the swing arm to see the front u-joint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts