BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped my LT in the garage tonight. Initially tried picking up the bike thinking I had to hold the front brake handle in (to lock the front wheel & gain better leverage). Well, I stupidly put a too much pressure on it trying to stand the bike up. I practically used it as a handle. I know, I know...

So, after realizing you need put the bike into gear to get that leverage, I get the bike up successfully.

I observe now the front brake grip practically goes to within about an inch of the handgrip. Seems to hold pressure ok, but it feels like it travels a lot closer to the hand grip than before. I can also hear a caliper grip the disk when I pull the hand grip.

I started the bike, and took off a short distance down my drive. ABS seems fine, and the bike stops ok - but that brake feels a little sketchy.

Thinking I should bleed the front brake in case any air bubbles somehow got in there.

This bike is a '99 with all original hoses. Its been serviced regularly. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
While bleeding wouldn't be a bad idea I also strongly advise replacing the brake lines rpior to the bleeding. Many went with Spiegler as opposed to stock, cheaper and a good reputation.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The adjustment was at setting 1 - where its always been. Moving it to 4 now gives a great deal more feel. I'll be giving it a good once over this morning.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ed, those original OEM brake lines tend to weaken over time. With the added pressure you applied, the line may have developed some bulges. Also look very closely to see if any brake fluid is leaking anywhere. As others have said, replace the brake lines. Mine started leaking around one of the crimps on the small connection line on the right front caliper after an emergency stop. Hope you didn't strain yourself to badly getting the big girl on her feet again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bled the front brakes and have better lever feel. Holds pressure as it seems it should. I'll road test tomorrow, but deep down I know I should replace the lines.

Not afraid to take tupperware off, but am curious how much needs to to replace that main line coming down from near the steering head?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
zippy_gg said:
While bleeding wouldn't be a bad idea I also strongly advise replacing the brake lines rpior to the bleeding. Many went with Spiegler as opposed to stock, cheaper and a good reputation.

B.G. --

Any source for a deal on the Spiegler kit... $235 MSRP is a bit rich for me at this juncture?

B.T.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Silverhair said:
Not afraid to take tupperware off, but am curious how much needs to to replace that main line coming down from near the steering head?
You'll need to remove all the upper side panels, lower right side panel, right side footrest, battery covers, stingray, fuel tank, right side handlebar covers, and the cover over the ignition switch to get to all of the brake lines and ABS unit for bleeding. You might get by without removing the stingray and fuel tank, but for me, it was easier with them out of the way. When I changed to Spiegler lines, I had removed the ABS unit for rebuild service. I thought while I had the thing torn down, I might as well change the brake lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts