BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently purchased a 06 LT. It only has a Radio with a single CD player. It also does not have the intercom system. I wanted to buy something that so I could play MP3s through the stereo. I currently have a Droid II cell phone and not an iPod so I think my options are limited in that regard. I noticed that the DICE FMRDS-USB-PRO (UNI-200-USB) offers a USB thumb drive option. This would work great for me, I think? Does anybody have any expertise on this? I emailed DICE two months ago and never got a response. I now see they are owned by Audiobox and the web site has been updated, so I emailed them again. I'm still waiting for a response.
http://diceelectronics.com/fmrds-usb-pro

-My question is will my handle bar controls work the change songs and will the song information display on my radio screen?
-Is there a specific wiring harness I need to order, at my time of purchase, and do you have a order number for that?
-Also, is there a recommended spot that you recommend to mounting this unit?
-Should I put it in place of the single CD player?

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
There have been lots of threads relating to the Dice devices, might I suggest you try the search function.
In general some have been pleased, some not. Depending what generation you get you will not be able to tell what track or playlist you select, because the radio display can't see the dice unit. I know this isn't the help/answer you were looking for but I have read so many pro/con posts on this unit in the short time I have been on the site that I am not be interested in this product.

It will be interesting to see if they respond.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
There are lots of threads on the DICE Ipod adapter, I don't recall seeing any on the device that has the USB option though. Your likely chewing up fresh ground with this one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I tried the DICE DUO with my '05 LT. I was able to get music out of the adapter, BUT no text display on the instrument panel LCD. No matter what the DIP switch settings, or firmware update, it was unworkable. I even tried to hookup the Siruis adapter, with no luck (because I had no display). Audiovox was no help when they informed me that they have only tested it on the Mini-Cooper and other popular BMW cars. I asked if the K1200LT was part of that testing, the rep said "no", and if I got it to work it would be a coincidence.

I have also heard that the iPod charging system inthe DUO does not shut off when you turn off the bike. So, this means a dead battery in less than a week if you don't use a battery tender. Fortunate for me, I decided not to use it.

I installed the Jensen JMS2212 and I am very happy with it.

Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jmhetzel said:
I have just recently purchased a 06 LT. It only has a Radio with a single CD player. It also does not have the intercom system. I wanted to buy something that so I could play MP3s through the stereo. I currently have a Droid II cell phone and not an iPod so I think my options are limited in that regard. I noticed that the DICE FMRDS-USB-PRO (UNI-200-USB) offers a USB thumb drive option. This would work great for me, I think? Does anybody have any expertise on this? I emailed DICE two months ago and never got a response. I now see they are owned by Audiobox and the web site has been updated, so I emailed them again. I'm still waiting for a response.
http://diceelectronics.com/fmrds-usb-pro

-My question is will my handle bar controls work the change songs and will the song information display on my radio screen?
-Is there a specific wiring harness I need to order, at my time of purchase, and do you have a order number for that?
-Also, is there a recommended spot that you recommend to mounting this unit?
-Should I put it in place of the single CD player?
It has been probably four months now and I finally got a response from Dice, or Abt Electronics. I can't believe they even bothered after that long. Anyway here is there question and response back to me:

Q:"I have just purchased a 2006 BMW K1200LT motorcycle. It only has a Radio with a single CD player. It also does not have the intercom system. I wanted to buy something that so I could play MP3s through the stereo. I currently have a Droid II cell phone and not an iPod so I think my options are limited in that regard. I noticed that the FMRDS-USB-PRO (UNI-200-USB) offers a USB thumb drive option. This would work great for me, I think?

-Also, is there a recommended spot that you recommend to mount this unit on my bike?"
A:Abt Electronics said:
"the handle bar controls will not change the songs. it would need to be wired in by an installer, there is no harness. you would have to find a spot to mount the unit specific to your use."

·
Registered
93 Posts
jmhetzel said:
It has been probably four months now and I finally got a response from Dice, or Abt Electronics. I can't believe they even bothered after that long. Anyway here is there question and response back to me:

Q:"I have just purchased a 2006 BMW K1200LT motorcycle. It only has a Radio with a single CD player. It also does not have the intercom system. I wanted to buy something that so I could play MP3s through the stereo. I currently have a Droid II cell phone and not an iPod so I think my options are limited in that regard. I noticed that the FMRDS-USB-PRO (UNI-200-USB) offers a USB thumb drive option. This would work great for me, I think?

-Also, is there a recommended spot that you recommend to mount this unit on my bike?"
A:Abt Electronics said:
"the handle bar controls will not change the songs. it would need to be wired in by an installer, there is no harness. you would have to find a spot to mount the unit specific to your use."

Audiovox (the makers of DICE) are useless when it comes to answering these questions. There is so much conflicting information about what (if any) BMW bikes the DICE units will work on. They seem to have no desire in clarifying the endless conflicting information which results in people purchasing this equipment, only to find out it is not compatible. I doubt any of their resellers will have better luck.

As far as I know, there is NO iPod adapter for an '05 - on K1200LT that actually works the way you would expect (i.e. text on the instrument display, handlebar control, etc.).

:bmw:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.