·
Registered
1,669 Posts

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
D.Kinsey said:
Do people still live there?
I was wondering the same thing! With a bankrupt city that is full of crime who in their right mind would want to live there?

I think being elected Mayor of Detroit would be a curse; maybe he can begin to "heal" there land :rolleyes:

·
Registered
513 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
I was wondering the same thing! With a bankrupt city that is full of crime who in their right mind would want to live there?

I think being elected Mayor of Detroit would be a curse; maybe he can begin to "heal" there land :rolleyes:
hard to believe, isn't it. i would lean toward: if i can make a recovery occur, i'll be "God-;like" in the eyes of the country. or.................i can rip off $'s and they'll never know.

all seriousness aside folks, i wish him luck. get the greed out of the hands of the union and it might work

·
Registered
40 Posts
Although there is a new person elected mayor, Detroit still has a governor-appointed emergency manager who controls the purse strings. Not sure how much any mayor can accomplish with these conditions, but I sure wish him the very best.

·
Registered
40 Posts
mycamel said:
... get the greed out of the hands of the union and it might work
If you've watched the news you would know that it's not the unions that robbed the city blind - it was the previous mayor who is currently in jail!

·
Registered
513 Posts
dancogan said:
If you've watched the news you would know that it's not the unions that robbed the city blind - it was the previous mayor who is currently in jail!
i do watch the news. so who gives $'s to the mayor? oh Unions are "God-like", is that it? :D

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Detroit never recovered from 17 years of Coleman Young as mayor. If there is a bigger racist, not sure who it would be. He successfully chased most business out of town and with the loss of that tax base, the demise of the city was inevitable. Of course, electing crooks as mayor didn't help.

I lived in Detroit a couple of times during my career and it is just sad to see such a great city decline to the point of bankruptcy.

·
Registered
513 Posts
pickerbiker said:
Detroit never recovered from 17 years of Coleman Young as mayor. If there is a bigger racist, not sure who it would be. He successfully chased most business out of town and with the loss of that tax base, the demise of the city was inevitable. Of course, electing crooks as mayor didn't help.

I lived in Detroit a couple of times during my career and it is just sad to see such a great city decline to the point of bankruptcy.
it really is a shame. let's hope the new mayor has stamina and desire and is not just driven by personal wealth needs.

when i was young i travelled the route from Chicago/Detroit frequently. i always enjoyed the city and surround. i have fond memories. i suppose i don't need to mention the abandoned cars on the roadside that were stripped in less than an hour after being left.

and the music generated in the 50's/60's will never be forgotten (until it's forgotten) :dance:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
dancogan said:
Lived there for 17 years and can attest that the Labor Unions were ones supporting the city throughout the past who know how many years.

·
Registered
40 Posts
mycamel said:
i do watch the news. so who gives $'s to the mayor? oh Unions are "God-like", is that it? :D
Never said that. And if you did watch the news you would see that in general it was the business owners who paid the bribes to the mayor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts