BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this in the LT section because most other BMW bikes don't consider it a problem. I don't really care to ride gravel if I don't have to for the obvious big girl issues. Sometimes you just suck it up and ride it out. I was wondering if any LT riders have found a way to determine if a road you are planning on riding is gravel or not. I like the backroads more than anything and love to plan my routes in great detail.
I understand that having to pass a planned road can lead to a more interesting ride, but that's fine for once I'm there. Planning is a major part of the fun for me and I'd like to get it as nailed down as possible.
How do you find backroads that are paved before you get there (not all roads on Google maps drill down to the street level)?

Thanks,
Jer

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I too like the less traveled roads. The two things I try to use in planning is a good road atlas, preferring the Benchmark brand, and Google Earth.
Most atlas' will show gravel by a broken red line (color isn't important). Problem is that they're not always 100% correct. Made many a U-turn because of it.
Once I figure out where I'm going, like a city or area, I go to Google Earth and start scanning around. You can usually tell what's paved and what's gravel. Found some really fun rides that way.
Your last resort would be to post a request in the region you're looking at, and ask the local guys. I've done that several times for Northern Ca. and go good information.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fpmlt said:
I too like the less traveled roads. The two things I try to use in planning is a good road atlas, preferring the Benchmark brand, and Google Earth.
Most atlas' will show gravel by a broken red line (color isn't important). Problem is that they're not always 100% correct. Made many a U-turn because of it.
Once I figure out where I'm going, like a city or area, I go to Google Earth and start scanning around. You can usually tell what's paved and what's gravel. Found some really fun rides that way.
Your last resort would be to post a request in the region you're looking at, and ask the local guys. I've done that several times for Northern Ca. and go good information.
Thanks for the quick response.
I write this because I can't see, on GE, the roads well enough to determine if they're paved or not. I'll start looking into getting maps of the areas I tend to ride most. Thanks!
I've had great success when asking about specific roads or where are the great roads in an area. Case being M-58 in Michigan's UP. AWESOME recommendation I received from a forum member.

Thanks again,
Jer

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
+1 on a good map . I use DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=delorme+maps&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=19382618&ref=pd_sl_8x5f7e8xf7_e . I go over the map book & find a route that is Primary county roads or State roads . Then I make a few notes of the route # & or names. I use a GPS on the bike & sometimes I put im way points to help keep me on route. But if there isn't more that turns than I can remember , I give the note to my wife & then I can ask her what turn comes next.

·
Registered
704 Posts
+1 on the GE. I use it all the time to plan rides in the US.
I have found that just click & hold on the 'Street View' man on the top left when your down low enough to see minor roads & that will high-lite the road if it's is sealed. BUT I have found the odd time that this wasn't always true, so do a random check along the road to ensure it is a sealed road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts