·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Heat, over load, over voltage.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Could vibration be a cause as well?
Normally not unless it was so severe that it was physically damaging some components like jarring loose solder joints. I am guessing you have had trouble with more than one failure. Heat is the biggest enemy of any solid state component. Maybe some background on what you are using and what for. Not an EE but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Without additional details, it is difficult to diagnose the cause. Inappropriate installation, wiring the control circuit to the load or choosing a relay that lacks the capacity for the load to which it is applied??? Most relays I have used are "overbuilt" and ordinarily, you have to work hard to cause them to fail. Somewhere, something is seriously wrong or the relays managed to escape quality control at the manufacturer.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,019 Posts
Just like plane crashes are always the failure to maintain altitude, electronic component always fail because we let the "smoke" out. The smoke is supposed to stay on the inside. >:)

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Premium Member
5,841 Posts
2 potential causes that I can think of! First is overloading well beyond the current rating, and the second is reverse polarity with voltage beyond threshold limit! SS relays tends to be sensitive to both of these issues.

Reactions: SpinDog

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
I'm testing by using a snubber to prevent over-voltage.
OK, so what is your question? We are assuming you are burning up SSR's and don't know why. We still do not have enough information to potentially assist you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sorry. The question that I'm trying to figure out is if there is a way for me to know which part failed, the coil or the contact?

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
I'm sorry. The question that I'm trying to figure out is if there is a way for me to know which part failed, the coil or the contact?
You are not talking solid state relays. Coils and contacts are part of mechanical relays. Solid state use semiconductors with no moving parts.

Is this in use on your bike or in some other application?

·
Registered
980 Posts
A DVM doesn't have enough current to properly test due to the internal circuits on most SSRs.

You can do it load test with a DC (or AC) source. You could probably measure input (control) current - if you get current flow it MAY indicate that the input is OK and that the issue is on the output side - however the control circuit may still draw current, but still have some other internal fault.

If it doesn't work not much can be done to repair it - as others have already said need to make sure it's rated for the application.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I use a couple of rear fog lights (I think about £35 the pair) wired via my old hyperlites unit. The hyperlite modules only lasted a couple of years. They are wired from a switch on the fairing and powered from the back of the accessory socket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.