BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote, designed and published my website in 2005.

It shows.
I think it's time we stuck to making really ****ing good seats. Period.

The guy I have tentatively hired works for Google full time in Sunnyvale, CA and moonlights on the weekends. He helps Internet challenged doods like me enter the brave new world. He is not inexpensive.
He is also very young - as in 22 years old. Wet behind the ears in my world.

Here's just a sample page of what he wants to do. I'm a bit nervous:

Kontour – Owner Bio

I think he's trying to "dumb it down" but I *kinda* get what he's up to - remember this is just a SAMPLE site page and will take a lot of work to make it polished and ready for consumption.

As a "Lone Eagle" type of operation it is often difficult to have any real perspective. So - I'm asking for opinions please!

Thanks in advance for your valued input. I've got big shoulders so fire away...

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Well, That seems very basic to me Ron.. Just a picture a few links and some bio info..

Went back and looked at the rest.. Really didn't expect the whole site to be mostly done..

Nobody is "Not Buying" your seats because of the age of your webpage...

I think the artistic aspects of a webpage are sometimes over the top..

I'm just as happy getting the straight info I'm looking for on a plain easy to ready webpage..
Which is what you've got there..

I think it looks pretty good.. Perhaps a little more up to date...

John

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Ron,

Shrink the photo in the Bio, don't take this personnel but the customers probably won't care much about you sitting on your beemer.

If you keep that rolling text box on the Home page I would make it a little smaller, I like the idea but the box takes away from the feature it is describing.

Looking at the other pages, like features, and pricing I like Web pages that don't require scrolling you might think about reducing size. Maybe a click to enlarge the feature the user is interested in.

I do like the clean crisp look of all the pages. :)

HTH :wave

·
Registered
795 Posts
I think overall the look is good, never underestimate the power of a slick looking web page. You never know, it could be the difference between someone sending you their seat or the other guy.

Did your Google guy write the bio? I think I would head over to the UofA and have some English major re-write it, sure there is some grad student who would do it for $100 or less. It's a little rough on structure, and +1 on small bio picture.

I would suggest that you add a page with photos of past jobs, especially if you have some with the product installed. A lot of people (like me) are concerned about how their bike will look after the seat.

Overall, I think it is looking nice :thumb:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey Ron, I think having the up dated site is good, I believe you have to like it.If it were I, and if you real;y want our op. Take your sunglasses off, eye contact is very important, sunglasses hides your eyes, what else are you hiding.

Pictures of your finished seats, very important, I have absolutely no idea what the finsihed product looks like.

Otherwise, I like what you are doing.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Fresh looking new site Ron. I think you are asking for feedback and hope I'm not out of line.

I know that some will disagree but I believe sites do need to be refreshed once in a while. Dated sites may imply dated products or that business is not so good.

The home page seems to be more about the graphics than the message. I looked at it with the window maximized and then dragged from bottom right to a smaller size. It seemed to me that the smaller size gave more dominance to the subject and still showed enough of the product. This may indicate that a resizing of objects on the page is appropriate. It was not immediately obvious to me what the moving red dot was all about.

The other pages looked good to me. A previous post commented on the size of the image on the Bio page. It might be a little large but it is content width.

In my opinion, your developer seems to be doing a decent job.
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ditto to several comments above. My main thought is that the bio needs work because its way too long. I am a marketing professional with many years of global advertising experience, and that's what strikes me. The clean look is a good move.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Better than the current page but lose the picture and lessen the narrative on you. You are selling seats not yourself. You need pictures of the product on bikes that you have worked on. Overall not bad but web pages should be about functionality and I just did not get that functional vibe. i don't have any idea what the developer is charging but if you are paying thousands as opposed to hundreds I would reconsider your selection process. Did you look at several developers and review their creative portfolio before selecting this one? At best you are getting a refresh but not much more in terms of content or functionality. Just my two cents and nothing personal.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I really like the clean look. Yes, the Bio page can be shorter and I agree on the sunglasses. I think a picture in the shop doing a final inspection may be better.

Sample pictures of installed seats with the customer testimonials attached should be very effective.

And yes, I agree that refreshing a website every few years lets the customer know that you are running a successful business and that you are not basking in the glow of past achievements .

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have looked at most of the aftermarket seat company's websites. When I go to them, I always like to finish by looking at the Pricing section. I like to run down the list of options to get an idea of how much MY seat is going to cost.

I realize that every seat is made individually, and is therefore priced individually. But you might consider listing all options and pricing to give us Average Joes an idea of what we are going to have to spend for the total package.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I agree with all the comments so far. Maybe multiple smaller pictures on the bio page, trim bio a little to highlight seat relevant items. Showing you in your shop is a good suggestion.

More pictures of different styles of seats, especially on your pricing page, put a relevant picture over each pricing category.

I also agree that an occasional site update leads people to believe your business is also updating, not a static entity.

It would have been better to post a link to the home page instead of the bio page. Some may not hit the home page to see how one starts out on your site.

The new site is far more attractive overall. With a few changes that are being suggested, it will be quite nice.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thanks for all the input guys! Much appreciated and many, many good points I didn't even consider.

The comment about the sunglasses is spot on - who wants to do business with someone who is "shady". ...and yes, the bio does kind of go on and on - that can be tightened up a lot but still get the message through.

Pictures are essential, and there will be a whole album dedicated to that - it's just not part of the preliminary site yet.

I'm liking the slimmed down concept more and more - the other site is just overwhelmed with content and irrelevant "stuff". Way too cluttered.

Lots more work to do and thanks again for the perspective! I need to listen to my developer more and let him take the leash a bit... ;)

·
Registered
860 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I need to listen to my developer more and let him take the leash a bit... ;)
DON'T YOU DARE... Next thing ya know, he'll have links on there that hawk fuzzy dice or Whoosy Moto bunny slippers... Not that those wouldn't look good on ya... :D

I like it... Very nice... and agree with the "show shop pictures". Gives a viewer a kind of inside look at the actual work space...

But before you shoot the shop pics... take down Miss Novembers centerfold... tacky... just tacky.

Nicely done sir... let us know when it goes live with all the changes...

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Ron,
Agree with everything that's been said so far, especially the bio page. While qualifications of the owner are important, I make my decisions on the product and customer's experiences more than the bio of the owner.

You mention in the site about your craftsmen making the seats, but have no pictures of this process. If I were shopping for a premium seat it would frankly mean more to me to see these craftsmen at work. It would also give me a chance to see your facility and know you weren't making these in your mother's basement (unless, of course, you are making them in you mother's basement). :D

Overall, I really like the simplicity and straightforwardness of the site.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I wouldn't have bought one of your seats if I knew what you looked like......Just kidding. I think the new bio is fine. You may want to shorten it a bit.

Chris Ogle

·
Registered
593 Posts
Second sentence on the Bio page
On a table beside him are swatches of high tech fabrics and NASA engineered cushioning foams.

What table and swatches?

PM sent

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
amindtat said:
First thing I noticed was the font. The commas look like periods, and I'm viewing it on a 24" monitor.
Yep, that font is not good. No contrast also. Whenever I have to strain to read something I lose interest REAL fast. GOOD Comment there, thanks! :thumb:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pickerbiker said:
Ron,
Agree with everything that's been said so far, especially the bio page. While qualifications of the owner are important, I make my decisions on the product and customer's experiences more than the bio of the owner.

You mention in the site about your craftsmen making the seats, but have no pictures of this process. If I were shopping for a premium seat it would frankly mean more to me to see these craftsmen at work. It would also give me a chance to see your facility and know you weren't making these in your mother's basement (unless, of course, you are making them in you mother's basement). :D

Overall, I really like the simplicity and straightforwardness of the site.
Actually, I still live with my Mom and have her making the seats.

Heck, she's 89 and doesn't have anything else to keep her busy, so why not? I do let her out of the basement once a week for a bridge game with the girls. :D

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I wrote, designed and published my website in 2005.

It shows.
I think it's time we stuck to making really ****ing good seats. Period.

The guy I have tentatively hired works for Google full time in Sunnyvale, CA and moonlights on the weekends. He helps Internet challenged doods like me enter the brave new world. He is not inexpensive.
He is also very young - as in 22 years old. Wet behind the ears in my world.

Here's just a sample page of what he wants to do. I'm a bit nervous:

Kontour – Owner Bio

I think he's trying to "dumb it down" but I *kinda* get what he's up to - remember this is just a SAMPLE site page and will take a lot of work to make it polished and ready for consumption.

As a "Lone Eagle" type of operation it is often difficult to have any real perspective. So - I'm asking for opinions please!

Thanks in advance for your valued input. I've got big shoulders so fire away...
It looks decent to me. Fairly simple and clean. I tend to do more with my iPhone now than my PC. Do you plan mobile friendly version also?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts