BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now a member of the "yeah, I've dropped my LT" club.

I cruised up to the top of my drive this morning, and let the front wheel turn too much to the left, applied too much front brake (I think), and lost my footing.

Man... Happened so fast, I couldn't stop it. I ended up half hopping off and landed in a bush surrounded by small rocks - my Joe Rocket jacket saved me some bumps & bruises for sure.

No damage, except to the skid guards that are designed for this eventuality. Oh, and my wrist hurts too, from trying to restrain the big girl from her fall. I reckon its just a minor sprain.

To add insult to injury, my wife and daughter had to help me lift it. Otherwise, I would have been helpless, and late for work. Ugh!

Oh well, could have been worse. :)

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Well, now that you have that over, mark that a "lesson learned", get back in the saddle and don't worry about it. Glad it worked out OK.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Been there done that and who's counting!!

I would say in the future:

1. Do not fight it

2. Think about escaping - get off, roll off, get away, or let is drop between your legs

3. If your significant is on the back instruct them quickly - yell to step off

Last thing you want to do is get your legs trapped below / under - there are several members who have and over 800#'s is unforgiving!!

Oh yea welcome to the club!! Safe landing!! :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome to the club. There are three types of LT owners, those who have, those who will, and those who lie about it.

Just remember to yell "bombs away !" next time. Anybody watching will then think you did it on purpose. :D

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I dropped mine almost two years ago after coming back from a rally with five friends. We all pulled into the gas station and I was slowly circling around to an empty pump and I used my front brake with the wheel turned. I just set her down in front of all my friends. Nothing hurt except my pride but when that came to help me right her, I made them wait and I tried myself. Well, lets just say I am glad I had my friends with me.

·
Mister Moto
140 Posts
Briantime said:
I feel better since I dropped mine. Now it is no longer looming over me :D
Right you are on that one!

I was practicing this weekend on my "Ride Like a Pro" tight circles, managed to get them down under 24' and felt pretty comfortable doing that both right and left, so I went tighter towards full lock. I was moving too slow I guess and "Shamu" was beached in a flash! It happened so fast I had no time to think about it (or pull a muscle)...I found myself just standing there looking down thinking...now that's wasn't so bad, was it?

There were slight scuffs on the crash bar and on the rubber trim I had installed on the side case chrome. What I didn't notice until last night was that I had bent the shifter up against the side panel and it was rubbing now. I found this out at a stoplight when I couldn't shift down from 4th gear!

So I guess I'll be taking it apart tonight to check the shift linkage. Is it possible I could have bent something in there by dropping it?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Welcome :D
From a 3 time member :eek:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Re: Derrrropped! Thanks God I Watched the Video

Well, I joined the club today after my 3 ride of owning the LT. You really have to watch that you are going straight & use the rear brake.
But picking her, I managed to get it done. I am glad I had watched the Video about how to pick up your LT..a couple of try's & I did it.
Thanks for the enlightenment...:histerica

·
Registered
321 Posts
Dropped mine last summer in South Dakota after 14 hours on the bike. Turning around on a one lane road at 11:00 pm. No excuse. I could have been fresh as a daisy, and it still would have gone down. I had thought before it happened, that it would not happen to me. I'm 6'5'', 235, pretty fit. No way will I let it go down.
When it starts to go, get out of the way. Pretty quick, and very heavy.. :eek:

I can only hope it's a while before I do it again..

Jeff

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are great! Seems like we've got a shared sense of past pain.

On the whole, I'm glad I've got it behind me. I rode the thing to work as soon as we got it up.

Another drop is probably inevitable, but man, I hope I dont ever have to lift it all by myself...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Having gone through this traumatically three times in the space of a day (my experience is somewhere here on the forum) a year ago and then belatedly reading of others' experiences here since then, I'd offer a countervalent thought:

In all the narratives I've read on this forum, the greatest damage has been to(l) the expendable rubber case guards (2) the chrome trim on the bags of those who have LT-Cs; and (3) above all else, our dignity as "experienced riders.

Here in El Paso, we've had a rash of motorcycle fatalities; as a retired general, I get daily reports on motorcycle fatalities within the Army community, numbers growing so significantly that they warranted coverage by the Army Times.

"I complained that I had no shoes until I met a person who had no feet."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts