BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deputy5211,
Tony, I am calling you out! I was just reading someones post on a suspension question and saw that you STILL don't have your Hyperpro Springs installed on your LT!!
Seriously Tony,
I CANNOT believe you don't have those springs on yet! Supposedly mine might be here today and so I am calling you out to a race to see who gets them on their bike first!!! The gauntlet has been thrown down! Are you man enough to accept the challenge? Loser buys the other a six pack of good local brew! Come on Tony lets see what you're made of!!
First one to post pics of the installed springs wins!

You may think I have access to a spring compressor and a big shop so as to have an unfair advantage. Let me assure you I don't. But I do know I will get it figured out or lose trying! I didn't spend all of that money for my new Hyperpro's so they collect dust on a shelf!
What say you Tony?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Trust me...he is certainly going to wonder why he waited soooo long to do this. Be sure to give us both of your opinions after the install.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Well, Kirk, you got me! Got me laughing my bum off this morning, that is. Thanks for a great post!

Seriously, I still have the springs sitting. Scouter-50, Bones, and I are planning on getting with DanMartin one of these Saturdays to do the install (and check/adjust my valves, plus hopefully swap to my steering damper), just waiting for schedules to line up.

I have been to a half dozen or so shops, both automotive and motorcycle, but nobody seems to have the right compressor for these bad boys. I even bought a compressor at O'Reilly Auto Parts, but it, too, was the wrong size for these springs.

I accept, even though I am fairly certain that you will win the challenge. It is 187 degrees in the shade down here in Dallas, and, having done my clutch replacement on the ground in this WX, I am content to wait until the proper tools are available to install the springs or for someone to find a shop near here that will do it for me. My original shocks are off the bike and waiting for their springs, and a spare is on the bike for the time being.

In the spirit of sportsmanship, however, just show your ugly mug around these parts and I will buy you a local cold one or more just the same! Win or lose, we both win! :dance:

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
The compressor they use on a Ford Ranger will work.

I did my own rear shock spring, but had to take the front one to a Ford dealer. Took them all of 8 minutes start to finish while I waited and wached...all for $10 bucks

Just saying. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Not fancy but here is a drawing and picture of a fixture I made for changing the rear springs on a friends bike. Bottom pice was a pice of scrap tubing I had laying around

I still have this hanging in my garage for future use.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
vernvernvern said:
The compressor they use on a Ford Ranger will work.

I did my own rear shock spring, but had to take the front one to a Ford dealer. Took them all of 8 minutes start to finish while I waited and wached...all for $10 bucks

Just saying. :bmw:
Awesome Vern! Ford store not too far from here.

What did you use to compress the rear?

I guess I should have asked long ago, but once one compresses the spring, how does it come off the shock?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
bigbear said:
Not fancy but here is a drawing and picture of a fixture I made for changing the rear springs on a friends bike. Bottom pice was a pice of scrap tubing I had laying around

I still have this hanging in my garage for future use.
Nice!

What did you make that out of? I imagine plywood would not do well. If metal, what kind and how did you get the holes into it?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Nice!

What did you make that out of? I imagine plywood would not do well. If metal, what kind and how did you get the holes into it?

Tony, I have a vertical mill and now that I have a drawing I can make this. Now, what do we need for the front shock? It would be nice to incorporate both in one fixture if possible.

Roy, what size is the square tubing? I would like to make all parts at once. And thanks for the great drawing.

Robert

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just called over to the shop where I am getting mine through and as of right now they are not in. It sounds like you may have help real soon so I may lose the bet. If I lose I will send you a six of New Glarus WI brew... Maybe some Flat Squirrel or Spotted Cow perhaps.
The game is on! Place your bets!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
the front is the same as a rear car strut - compress the spring and the top spring support/conical washer has a slot so it just slide out - do not need to undo bolts on top

the bottom - compress spring with fixture pushing on proload - small wire circle clip will appear which you remove and then release compressor - the only problem I had was puting it back together - enough corrosion to compress shock along with spring - cleaned up well

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
14wntr said:
I just called over to the shop where I am getting mine through and as of right now they are not in. It sounds like you may have help real soon so I may lose the bet. If I lose I will send you a six of New Glarus WI brew... Maybe some Flat Squirrel or Spotted Cow perhaps.
The game is on! Place your bets!

Is this what you are talking about? :histerica

Attachments

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Awesome Vern! Ford store not too far from here.

What did you use to compress the rear?

I guess I should have asked long ago, but once one compresses the spring, how does it come off the shock?
For the rear, I used a common auto spring compresser that had threaded 3/4" rods and nuts and 4 strong brakets that hooked into the spring near each end. It just barely compressed the new spring together far enough to reassemble the end of the shock. By the time I got it done, the 3/4" rods had a bow in them.. It's down right risky if the right tool isn't used.

The brackets wouldn't fit on the front spring, so thusly I found a Ford shop,

If I do it again, I'll do both at Ford.

I kept thinking if something broke while the spring was compressed, I'd have a hole in the ceiling of my shop, or my face/arm/etc. Ugh!

Good luck.

They are really worth putting on in my opinion as it raised the bike up come and I'm postive the ride is better. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Is this what you are talking about? :histerica
That is wrong on so many levels... :histerica

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Tiger955 said:
Deputy, when you guys get ready to do it, let me know when and where. If I can would enjoy coming over to help/learn.
Of course. Anytime you want/need to work on your bike, you are welcome to bring it over here and I will be happy to help you.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I just took my shocks off, and took them and the new Hyperpro Springs to the local Big O tire store. $40 and 20 minutes later they were done. :dance:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
We do not have Big O or Mark C. Bloome out here... Maybe Discount Tire or NTB can help. FIrestone and Goodyear no help.

Am going to try Ford store as suggested by another poster.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
deputy5211 said:
We do not have Big O or Mark C. Bloome out here... Maybe Discount Tire or NTB can help. FIrestone and Goodyear no help.

Am going to try Ford store as suggested by another poster.
Tony,
Did you inquire at the Harley Davidson dealership in FB/Carrolton? Is that Bates Used Cycle Parts still there off 35E near Valwood? they might help.

I might be able to attend & help if you all get together on the second or third Saturday of September.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Checked both, Jeff... No joy.

Second Saturday is my anniversary weekend. I have my daughter the third, but maybe Suzanne and her can do girl stuff that day so we can have a tech day.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.