BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't ridden much lately, but i did manage to do this:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive parking light

I'm trying to find a local (northern Los Angeles County) shop that specializes in straightening MC rims.
BMW rim replacement cost is around $1400. o_O

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Your local shop can fix that easily even a car rim repair place. Got to be one in LA. look hard. and move on. Watch for rocks and potholes! Call a few motorcycle shops to see who they use, and as soon as you hear the same name twice go for it.
call these guys and ask:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Your local shop can fix that easily even a car rim repair place. Got to be one in LA. look hard. and move on. Watch for rocks and potholes! Call a few motorcycle shops to see who they use, and as soon as you hear the same name twice go for it.
I called over a dozen mc shops and rim repair shops in the area. All the mc shops declined to recommend a place to have the rim repaired. They all suggest buying a new rim. A couple of the rim repair shops were willing to look at the rim, but none advertised MC rim repair on their website.

I found one mc repair shop that is about a two hour drive :
About Our Frame Truing Company near Anaheim, California 92806 | Dr. John's Motorcycle Frame Straightening (drjohnsmfs.com)

"Watch for rocks and potholes!" Words to live by! :)

·
Registered
2016 R1200RTW,2016 RnineT,2017 Suzuki Hayabusa,2015 Can Am Spyder F3
42 Posts
Or fix it yourself.
Put 2 layers of masking tape over the bent area.
Warm the rim up till finger touch hot with a heat gun.
Find and cut with the same radius of the wheel some strips of hardwood.
Get a heavy rubber coated but filled with metal shot mallet - Home Depot
Just hit the wood only. Hold the wood with one hand and use the other hand for the mallet.
I have fixed many aluminum wheels that way and you cannot even tell.
The trick is the sacrificial hardwood. Also do not overheat/burn the paint /powercoating off.

·
Registered
2016 R1200RTW,2016 RnineT,2017 Suzuki Hayabusa,2015 Can Am Spyder F3
42 Posts
Ohh and wear padded gloves and put the wheel on a piece of carpet and support it on the floor with your boots.
When you do a search on eBay remember to create a search so the ebay software will keep searching for you. Find out what interchange years the wheels are the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

Took the rim to Dr. John's in Anaheim yesterday. Two hour drive (each way). Three hour wait for the repair.
They started the work right away. Very happy with the results. I can't find the repair. :)
Put on a Pilot Road 4. ( I could get almost 7500 miles from the 4 on my ST1300. )
Hopefully I'll get more than the 3500 miles I got from the Metzler Roadtec Z8 that came with the RT. The Z8 had wore into a 'V' shape after only 2500 miles. :(

·
Registered
2022 R1250RT & 2005 KLR650
93 Posts
That is good news!

The same thing happened to me in Omaha with my car. During rush-hour, I glanced in the mirror to change lanes and when I looked back up there was a large piece of concrete right in my wheel path. I hit it at 70+ mph. The tire deflated immediately and through dumb luck was able to make it over three lanes to an exit. Of course, the doughnut spare was flat. Waited a couple hours for roadside assistance (a guy in an old Chevy Caprice who pulled about 100 ft of air hose out of his back seat... not sure where the compressor was) to inflate the spare. Finally got to the hotel. Next day I found a place that did rim truing. $200 to true. $200 for tire. $200 for blown strut. $90 for alignment. Good times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts