BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with a Denali SoundBomb on a 1250RT? I was planning to get one, but am pleasantly surprised with the horn on my '21. It's louder and sounds nicer than I expected. Is the SoundBomb still a big improvement?

Also, what is the advantage to installing them with a CanSmart vs direct wiring? Is it just so that you can add one instead of replacing the factory horn?

·
Registered
2022 Triple Black R1250rt. Previously 2009rt, 2011K1600, 2017RT, 2019RT
203 Posts
I had the Denali bomb for years but didn't bother on the new bike. Horn/s are fine (at last). There are 2 but make sure you angle them down. In heavy rain they get full of water.
I also have lots of lights so the Cansmart is great for me. Can't say if any benefit with or direct...Mine was more about the lights than the horn.
Any other bike....SOUNDBOMB!!!

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Can't speak for the 1250 as mine is a 1200, but I can speak for the soundbomb......It Gets People's Attention, and that is what you want in a horn, especially on a bike

Reactions: Gomoca

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
99 Posts
My 2021 horn is loud... surprisingly so.. I'm so used to 'Meep' it was nice to hear something more like the previous GL1800s I've had.. only louder. I'll keep an eye on what happens when riding in the rain.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm happy with the loudness of my 22' horn and wouldn't bother with a sound bomb.
The cansmart controller though is another story......I recently added the Denali T3 Switchback signals/brake lights to the rear of my 1250RT and was ready to just tap into the rear signals and running/brake light without buying the cansmart controller.
After noticing a footnote on the install for our bikes with LED's and a follow up phone call to Twisted Throttle (Denali dealer near me). I am told the bike will throw a code using the direct tap method.
So....I bought the controller (not inexpensive at $270.00), wired it up and it works as advertised. The controller is basically a separately fused stand alone 4 circuit relay, looped into the factory canbus system.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
99 Posts
I'm happy with the loudness of my 22' horn and wouldn't bother with a sound bomb.
The cansmart controller though is another story......I recently added the Denali T3 Switchback signals/brake lights to the rear of my 1250RT and was ready to just tap into the rear signals and running/brake light without buying the cansmart controller.
After noticing a footnote on the install for our bikes with LED's and a follow up phone call to Twisted Throttle (Denali dealer near me). I am told the bike will throw a code using the direct tap method.
So....I bought the controller (not inexpensive at $270.00), wired it up and it works as advertised. The controller is basically a separately fused stand alone 4 circuit relay, looped into the factory canbus system.
I tapped into the wires for my admore lighting kit on my v46n top box and no codes at all, have put about 500 miles on it since... so I think it's good but will report back if I see a code.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recently added the Denali T3 Switchback signals/brake lights to the rear of my 1250RT
Do you mind sharing a picture of where you put the lights? I'm thinking about doing the same, but with the large rear fender on the 1250RT I'm not sure which brackets would be best.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you mind sharing a picture of where you put the lights? I'm thinking about doing the same, but with the large rear fender on the 1250RT I'm not sure which brackets would be best.
The actual LED pods are on backorder for another month, so I have yet to install them. Pic from Denali's site below:

And a few pics from my install:

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Pods will go on either side of the license plate as shown from the denali site...I need to route cables (attached to the led pods) still and havn't decided on a penetration point to get to the harness I installed under the pillion.
They will get grouped together and I will use good ol' fashioned flex seal to weatherproof the opening needed to get the wire and factory made connectors through the hole. I'm leaning more towards the on the outside of the fender and towards the side routing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And a few pics from my install
Thanks for sharing everything. Those brackets are what I was thinking too. In addition, I wonder if the B6 brake light would fit on that little oval part with two holes (EU license plate mount?). I'm getting a top case with brake light too, so maybe I'm getting a bit carried away...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for sharing everything. Those brackets are what I was thinking too. In addition, I wonder if the B6 brake light would fit on that little oval part with two holes (EU license plate mount?). I'm getting a top case with brake light too, so maybe I'm getting a bit carried away...
I almost went with the top case brake light too, but in the end I wanted the modulation for the brake light and more pop for both the signal and lights down low.
Plus side is I can run with out the top box and still be seen better.
Also added blackout reflective tape to the outer parts of the panniers and a small blue reflective on the back edge of the luggage rack.

Hopefully it grabs the attention of somebody mid conversation on their cell phone or doing their make-up driving behind me.

• Haha
Reactions: shooks

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
99 Posts
Yeah, I always ride w/top box... even if empty, because I put admore led lights in the givi v46n and their newer kits now have amber leds for signals and integrated 4-flashed on the brake function.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I almost went with the top case brake light too, but in the end I wanted the modulation for the brake light and more pop for both the signal and lights down low.
It looks like you can connect the top box brake light to the CanSmart by just splicing into one wire, so I may do that. That will allow modulation. I will ride often without the top box, so the T3's around the license plate would be good.

Thanks for all of the input everyone. The money I save on a SoundBomb will soften the blow of all of the lights you have convinced me to buy :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
25 Posts
It looks like you can connect the top box brake light to the CanSmart by just splicing into one wire, so I may do that. That will allow modulation. I will ride often without the top box, so the T3's around the license plate would be good.

Thanks for all of the input everyone. The money I save on a SoundBomb will soften the blow of all of the lights you have convinced me to buy :ROFLMAO:
:LOL:

I'm here to help

·
Registered
2022 Triple Black R1250rt. Previously 2009rt, 2011K1600, 2017RT, 2019RT
203 Posts
Heres my setup...

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
99 Posts
Yeah, I always ride w/top box... even if empty, because I put admore led lights in the givi v46n and their newer kits now have amber leds for signals and integrated 4-flashed on the brake function.
Here's mine
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

·
Old Dawg
3,337 Posts
Well, with the size of the alternator that will need, that scooter won't go fast enough to get into too much trouble!
There, I fixed that for you :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts