BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to add some visibility lighting to my RT and wanted something different, so I opted to get a set of amber Denali DRL LEDs which I mounted on the side of the front fender. Each side is wired in conjunction with the turn signals, in normal operation they run in 50% mode, when the turn signals are activated they operate in 100% mode. I purchased a set of EZ mounts for the T3 LEDs to go below the oil cooler. The T3s are 4 pin as compared to 3 pin. White mode is 50%/100%, amber 100% then GRD. In 50% mode the white isn't that bright honestly, so I didn't connect that circuit. Ordered a set of Y adapters and extensions, then converted the T3 4 pin to 3 connectors. In return got some great visibility lighting and if you cant see all 3 my turn signals operating, please do us all a favor and stay off the roads.

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
Looks great! More visibility is always good!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next on the list is a set of D2s or Krista's utilizing the mirror mounts.

J

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Got a set of D2s in amber...IMO the amber catches your eye more so than the white lights.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Initially installed DR1's with clear lenses and when Denali's firmware update allowed the lights to be used as blinkers I changed them to amber lenses. It's great to have more lighting and even better that they work as blinkers.

IMG_6732.jpeg

·
Registered
75 Posts
A riding buddy has Darla's on his bike and I think the output of our lights are very similar. Specs show about 2,000 lumens each but the Denali's offer a "Hybrid" lens which spreads out the light on the sides yet still has a spot light going down the middle of the road which is a nice option.

I also have Denali D4's (9,000 lumens) with the amber "Hybrid" lens on my GSA and these are also set up as running lights and blinkers. I don't want to blind but just want to be seen by oncoming traffic so I have both the DR1's & D4's set to 40% brightness as running lights and higher 60% brightness when blinking.

Since I've installed these lights I know for a fact that I'm being seen more as I have way fewer cars pulling out or turning in front of me. Best safety equipment I've ever purchased.

·
Registered
2019 R1250rt
97 Posts
I wanted to add some visibility lighting to my RT and wanted something different, so I opted to get a set of amber Denali DRL LEDs which I mounted on the side of the front fender. Each side is wired in conjunction with the turn signals, in normal operation they run in 50% mode, when the turn signals are activated they operate in 100% mode. I purchased a set of EZ mounts for the T3 LEDs to go below the oil cooler. The T3s are 4 pin as compared to 3 pin. White mode is 50%/100%, amber 100% then GRD. In 50% mode the white isn't that bright honestly, so I didn't connect that circuit. Ordered a set of Y adapters and extensions, then converted the T3 4 pin to 3 connectors. In return got some great visibility lighting and if you cant see all 3 my turn signals operating, please do us all a favor and stay off the roads.
View attachment 172312 View attachment 172313 View attachment 172314 View attachment 172315
How did you mount the T3s on the bottom?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A set of "ezy mounts" light brackets installed on the side panels and I used Denali T3 fender mounts, just not mounted on the fenders. Found the brackets awhile back on ebay. I'm not sure if the brackets are in production anymore?

Actually they are made by or for a set PIAA lights, came with a kit I believe.

J

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yes, for the larger DRL's on the fender uses screws to attach or you can get a flush mount kit, honestly it's just a foam gasket with a template, or a set of fender brackets that would utilize the torx screw on the side for more forward lighting. They are considerably bright on high.

J

·
Registered
2019 R1250rt
97 Posts
Yes, for the larger DRL's on the fender uses screws to attach or you can get a flush mount kit, honestly it's just a foam gasket with a template, or a set of fender brackets that would utilize the torx screw on the side for more forward lighting. They are considerably bright on high.

J
Thanks. I got the instal diagram from Denale and now it makes total sense. Ordered them.
Looks like you ran the cables on the existing brake line? and issues?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No issues so far. I just made sure had left some slack for line movement and didn't tighten the zip-ties too much.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Read some where that the Denali hexcan controller now has an update where the driving and blinkers work in tandem. Hooked up to my controller and I don't see that option. I'm able to keep the lights on as blinker works but not blinking.
The controller program on the computer says it's up to date.

Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
2019 R1250rt
97 Posts
Read some where that the Denali hexcan controller now has an update where the driving and blinkers work in tandem. Hooked up to my controller and I don't see that option. I'm able to keep the lights on as blinker works but not blinking.
The controller program on the computer says it's up to date.

Anyone know anything about this?
I researched this and found that its not for GenI. Only for GenII that has more options. I upgraded and yes it works.
Check if you have Gen I or Gen II

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I researched this and found that its not for GenI. Only for GenII that has more options. I upgraded and yes it works.
Check if you have Gen I or Gen II
I do have the Gen 2 controller but after looking into this and re-reading the instructions corrections. I found out that when I orginally wired in the driving lights I used the Y connector to hook both R & L lights to same circuit. I would need to wire them each to a different circuits.....I like the idea of the drive lights blinking, but will wait till the next time I have the tupperware off before doing this mod.

·
Registered
2019 R1250rt
97 Posts
I do have the Gen 2 controller but after looking into this and re-reading the instructions corrections. I found out that when I orginally wired in the driving lights I used the Y connector to hook both R & L lights to same circuit. I would need to wire them each to a different circuits.....I like the idea of the drive lights blinking, but will wait till the next time I have the tupperware off before doing this mod.
I activated the individual driving lights blinking but have now turned it off. They are very bright and actually override visually the actual indicator. I suspect it may also be a legal issue as they are supposed to be amber not white.
I am now adding the DenaliT3s. These run white but go amber when the indicator is activated. Im putting these down low on the front wheel.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bet the larger DRLs will be available in the same format in the future, but the T3s are a nice size to place in limited space.

J

1 - 20 of 20 Posts