BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gina's BMW is Iowa City is having there open house this saturday. They will be having 8 1600gt's and 8 1600gtl's on hand for demo rides plus lots of food and reps from many different companies. So all you guys near Iowa City who may want to ride this new beast it will be a nice day for it. I for one can't wait. Google Gina's BMW to go to there web site for more info.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
16 demo bikes? Impressive.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
CGameProgrammer said:
He's talking about the demo truck.
Still... 16 GT/GTLs in the same place... at the same time? SIXTEEN?

How far is it to to Iowa City? Can I get there and back by Monday...? :confused:

·
Registered
588 Posts
PWECR said:
Gina's BMW is Iowa City is having there open house this saturday. They will be having 8 1600gt's and 8 1600gtl's on hand for demo rides plus lots of food and reps from many different companies. So all you guys near Iowa City who may want to ride this new beast it will be a nice day for it. I for one can't wait. Google Gina's BMW to go to there web site for more info.
I drove up from Kansas City with three of my buddies. The weather was crap but they let us ride the bike. We all chose to ride the GT since our local dealer has a GTL we can demo. It was too wet and rainy to really demo the bike but from the 25 miles I put on it was very nice. I liked the I-drive very much and was able to figure it out quickly. I broke the rear wheel loose in dynamic mode and the traction control worked as advertised.

It was quite impressive to see eight of each bike lined up in all the colors and two new RTPs.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My wife and I demo'd a GTL in sunny Orange County on Friday 5/13/11. Had sunny, dry conditions with 70 degree temperatures. Since I had scheduled for 3:30PM in the afternoon there was nobody waiting behind us. The dealer told me to just have it back by closing (6:00pm). We had a great 2-hr, 65 mile ride through Santiago Canyon, Cooks Corner, Tracbuco Canyon and on the 241 Toll Road. Yes, my BMW finatic wife-to-be had called the Toll Road earlier in the day and got the bike covered under our account so we had some nice open FWY to let the 160HP run. Wow! Very impressive in every aspect. The bike lugs great and is literlly flying @ 110 MPH at only 6K RPM in 6th. I can't imagine what it will be like when broken-in and running at the 8,500 redline limit. Overall the bike is so easy to ride that I'm sure some won't like it because its like being in a BMW car. Smooth, quiet and hauling ass! The engine is sooooooooo quiet and smooth you almost forget to shift to the next gear. If you roll on the throttle in 5th at 40MPH, the bike doesn't hesitate in the least, it just starts pulling and pulling and the idea that may you should have down shifted to 4th would have simply been wasted motion and energy.

I only had two issues. One will simply be a riding readjustment and that was the bike totally lacks any engine braking characterisitcs like the old '02 K1200LT. It decelerates much like my buddies '07 K1200GT. If your entering a corner you have to remember to use brakes because the thing is like a diesel engine, it just has no compression braking. The second was that the demo bike had a low seat option. I only have a 31" inseam, but I could sit on the bike with both feet flat on the ground and my knees were bent. I'll definately opt for the tall seat. In fact, I'll probably be sitting at Bill Mayers place the day after I take delivery and have him do his seat magic.

My wife loved it too and contrary to some other comments on this site, said there was plenty of room between the driver and topcase for the pillion rider. Even more than the bike she sat on at the Long Beach M/C show in December. She absolutly loved the high pillion position as she could see over my helmet, something she could not do on the LT. FYI my fiancee told the dealer she loved the bike and wanted sell her '09 F800-ST for a GTL of her own. This is from a women who learned how to ride in 2008! Is a total thrill seeker and there is no such thing as too fast or too far a lean angle. :>) Damn I'm lucky!

I had done a pretty good job ignoring the big delivery question up until I rode the demo. Now I'm like a kid who can't wait for Christmas morning to arrive.

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
old1951 said:
My fiancee told the dealer . . . My wife loved it too . . . Damn I'm lucky!
I'd say so. :D

Thanks for the report, Vern. Good info. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
110 MPH.?
Sorry Vern,
You probably didn't know the demos have recorders installed.
The CHP will be paying you a visit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My buddy and me went to Gina's for her open house and of course to take a test ride on the new bike. The weather, as stated, was crap. We were scheduled to go out for a ride, all suite up with rain gear, gloves helmet, pacing back and forth when the group ahead of returned. We were both like a kid a Christmas. My buddy was approached by a gentleman that was not going to ride, but said he wanted to talk to him on our return. My pal said, "I'm pretty sure that I will have a smile on my face, and big wood to boot." Then as we were ready to walk out the door, the announcement was made: Sorry to inform you all, but the test rides for the rest of the day have been canceled. The conditions have gotten too dangerous to continue. :histerica :( :( :(
It was like waiting in line at the amusement park for two hours and getting to the front, and the park closing.
Oh well, I got to sit on one, and listen to it run.

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
vulcan said:
110 MPH.?
Sorry Vern,
You probably didn't know the demos have recorders installed.
The CHP will be paying you a visit.
I'm sure that he meant 55 mph on the way out, plus 55 mph on the way back. ;)

·
Banned
144 Posts
Did the test ride yesterday at Cycle Specialties in Modesto, CA. The only word that keeps popping out of my mouth is WOW! WOW! Power till forever, and then still more available. Much lower center of gravity, and handling that is the best I have ever felt. You do not have to do anything more than simply think yourself into a turn.

Clutch has a very light pull, shifting was easy. The fly by wire throttle was a little laggy if you try to feather it at slow speeds, LOTS of electronic gizmos to figure out! Sales man asked me to focus on the road, and not play with the gizmos during the test ride so as not to put it in a ditch.

The primary changes that I will make are: custom seat, foot peg lowers, and a slightly wider wind shield. With my 6'2" frame on the low seat, I felt like I was sitting in a racing position. I also felt a fair amount of wind hitting me in the shoulder and upper arm area.

Over all.....WOW!....Can not wait for mine!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts