BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Officially, this is my first thread... Had to make it a good one.

My last bike was sold in the mid-80's, so I have no current motorcycle insurance. I do have
a license, and a BRC endorsement from a few years ago. I've asked the local BMW dealer
whose insurance would cover me while I take a demo ride but they won't provide it. My
auto insurance folks said only 4-wheel vehicles.

So the question is, how do I go about covering my risk of an accident, or even a fall, while
taking a test ride? Is there some kind of temporary insurance I can buy? To get a policy,
I know they want the VIN number, but who gets a VIN to test several bikes? I'm most
interested in the 2011 R1200 RT, but for this amount of money, I want a test ride.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am surprised that you do not get insurance from the dealer. Mainly because when our local dealer allowed myself to test ride the RT, I had to sign an agreement that the first 1000€ of damage was mine, otherwise I was insured. I know this is another county and so different rules apply, but the principle applies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe BMW will bring the demo truck to rallies this year. At the '07 honda hoot a friend of mine totaled a K1200R sport he was demoing. The BMW guys where more worried about him suing BMW than having him cover the cost of the bike. He walked way both physically and financially.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Either BMW or the dealer must have the necessary insurance in order to put a license tag on the bike. Generally, it would be a fleet type policy that covers bikes in inventory in their custody/control.
If they'll hand you the key, go ahead and take a ride!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Dealer insures the bike. Your medical insurance covers you.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good to me...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts