BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cemotherapy phase of his cancer battle is over.

Now only meds being administered are to make him comfortable that he may enjoy each day. He will remain at home.

Visited Dell this afternoon and Joan invites all his friends to stop by their home anytime. The door is open and the Sheltie dogs will greet and announce your arrival, (do not let them escape). Please remove your shoes in the foyer to keep things clean. (PM me if you need directions)

Joan has taken medical leave from work and her family is there for support.
She thanks the members of this board who have help her in recent days.
Special thanks to Roger Moore for babysitting while she runs erands.

Dell is no longer checking his E-mails or PM's so please stop by soon and spend a moment with him. There will be no service.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Thanks for posting Doug. I dropped a couple roll-a-way beds off for Joan yesterday morning. Her parents, brother and his wife were coming in from Singapore for a week. Her mom is staying longer.

Joan also told me that anyone is welcome to visit. He is on a lot of pain medicine and yesterday morning he was trying to stay off of it for awhile so he could be more alert for his in-laws. That may sound like a small thing but I know it wasn't.

I've only talked to Dell very briefly a few times but each time was a real treat for me. He is a better man than me, laying there, and I feel humbled by it.

I plan on a quick visit this week. I may be there only a few minutes. I just can't get enough.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Dell is one of the most inspirational souls I have ever met and kind down to the core. God Bless Him.:(
I'm going to get by tomorrow in the afternoon one way or the other.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Doug, I can't tell you how sad I am to hear of this. Dell is a one of a kind gentleman. Anyone that has ever spent even just a few minutes with him would know this.

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
Thank you, Doug, for the update. Nancy and I extend our heartfelt prayers for Dell and sympathies for Joan.

For those of you who do not know Dell, I want to share my thoughts about this incredible person.

On a personal basis Dell is one of the kindest and warmest individuals I know. I have never heard a harsh word from him about anything. He has been dealt a harsh blow with his Colon cancer and he has been a stoic, courageous and good humored fighter for the 5 years that I've been privileged to call him my friend.

On a social level, Dell has been a contributor to others. He has shared his considerable musical talents, he is a concert level pianist, by giving a concert as a benefit to the Cancer center at Sutter Medical Center. Nancy and I attended and his virtuosity at the piano was, literally, awe inspiring. He also turned his trip to the Arctic Circle with our Doug into an awareness event for Cancer.

On a professional level, Dell is a PhD in Computer Science and built an artificial neural network for corporate HP across its worldwide enterprises and it is still in use today.

Dell is an inspiration to do better, or at least to try. To witness his accomplishments, his struggles and his grace with his burden it is motivation to make more out of my remaining life knowing that the life of this giant of a man is being cut short.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks for posting Doug. I'm off the next few days, so I'll be ny to see him.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks for posting, Doug. He really touched a lot of lives, gave so much and will truly be missed.

...Thoughts and prayers.

John

·
Some guy on the Interwebs
3,324 Posts
I will go up and visit Dell as soon as possible, my wife is in the hospital for surgery tomorrow so obviously I can't go right now...

If one of the HDDC goes to visit please mention I send my thoughts and prayers to him and Joan, and will visit as soon as possible.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I, like many folks on this list may have only had a passing visit with Dell in person, but felt like I was on the ride with him and Doug through the postings to this site of the great Northern adventure.

Raffy or Doug, please pass on blessings from the NorWet gang to Dell and Joan for us all. He will certainly have a lot of company not only in person, but via this virtual family on the web.

John

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
RaffyK said:
I'm having a hard time dealing with this.
Don't feel alone my friend, I didn't hold together very well last night myself...

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
It saddens me to hear this. I don't know Dell very well but have followed his story here and feel like I know him much better than I do, which is a testament to how he has influenced and how much he means to so many in our community here. I won't be able to come to the Sacramento area anytime in the near future, so will someone please convey my thoughts and wishes to Dell? Thank you, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
David, John, Hal and all I will pass on your thoughts and wishes, as I'm sure all who get to visit will. I know Dell will appreciate the thoughts.

·
Registered
482 Posts
amarider said:
David, John, Hal and all I will pass on your thoughts and wishes, as I'm sure all who get to visit will. I know Dell will appreciate the thoughts.
Please do the same for me. I don't know Dell as well as you do, but we have had some wonderful conversations over coffee at A&S, and he has been an inspiration to many of us in the River City Beemers.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Tks John.

John
amarider said:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I saw Dell today. It was very hard seeing my friend, knowing the end is near. Dell sends his thanks to everyone.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts