BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 2 days, I've noticed that when I start the engine there is no power to my radar detector and there is no sound in my headset even though the radio comes on right away and I can hear sound through the external speakers. I have not noticed any other parts of the bike missing power (yet).

After 10 or 20 seconds or perhaps after hitting a bump, power suddenly comes on to the detector and sound comes through the headset. No further problem until I power off. I tested this evening when I got home and same problem happens if I immediately turn the engine back on after having just turned if off.

I don't remember where I pick up power for the detector but I guess that I will have to open a little plastic and check it out. I fiddled the headset/external speaker button on my com system 3 but to no avail. The bike is a 99.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
My bet is that its a relay that is slow to "pick". I'm interested to hear what others say.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Tom_Becker said:
My bet is that its a relay that is slow to "pick". I'm interested to hear what others say.
Possible -- Another possibility: IIRC, Ralph Gray had a bunch of corrosion "grow" in his Valentine One power supply connections under the rider seat which gave him flaky power to the V1 for a while. Cured by replacement, as I recall.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Realy

Canabarry said:
I don't remember where I pick up power for the detector but I guess that I will have to open a little plastic and check it out. I fiddled the headset/external speaker button on my com system 3 but to no avail. The bike is a 99.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Yeah. This relay was bad on my bike. I had to actually tap it to get it to pick up until the new ones arrived. Its in the comm system's power harness that's located under the seat.

Ordered the relays through these guys. You can find the part number on the relay.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You Nailed It

Thanks Harry. A little tap on that relay brings my power on instantly. I will order the replacement part 0332011007 as you suggested.

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I just have to comment. It never ceases to amaze me the wealth of knowledge on this site. From the trivial and insignificant to mission critical stuff. What a great site!

·
Old Dawg
3,287 Posts
Funny you mention that problem because I dropped mine off (still under warranty) for just about the same thing. No comm system, headlights, blinkers, dash lights or flashers. It was taking about 20 to 30 seconds on my bike also but then got to where it would take up to five minutes unless I hit the horn, then remarkably everything would come on.
I will let you know what the dealer says about mine.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
But Why?

CarSalesman said:
You can buy relays functionally equivalent at any auto parts store. Very common, and very inexpensive.
I considered this route, briefly. Are you suggesting a generic relay and then adapting it to the power harness? Seems like a lot of extra work and the part replacement is a mere $2.80. Do you know of an exact (male) replacement available @ AutoZone, CheckerAuto, etc.?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts