BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may remember last March I underwent a Decompressive Laminectomy on L4 and L5 due to stenosis and bone spurs. The recovery was quick and good but there were still some lingering issues with numbness on the face of my thighs if I stood or walked for very long periods. This has progressively gotten worse so back to the doc following another MRI in September. He sees nothing unusual except one nerve root looked a bit "tight" where it left the spine, possibly due to inflammation. Tried a steroid injection at the spine - root junction and it changed the condition but did not eliminate it.

I went back to see him again a few weeks ago and he wanted to try a Myelogram where they inject dye into the Dura of the spine and watch where it doesn't flow. This indicates pinched nerves and the test was a precursor to the MRI before it was developed. Interesting procedure as I was awake for it. When the dye was injected it felt like cold water flowing down the inside of my right butt cheek, weird. Later I felt like I had been hit with a baseball bat.

Bottom line is I have stenosis and bone spurs again only on L2 and L3. It was likely there all along but did not show on the MRIs I had. Good news is the surgery should eliminate my remaining issues and recovery should as quick as it was earlier this year. With the surgery scheduled for the 19th of January, I should be up and riding again by the time Spring Training Camp in the Smokies happens in April.

Reactions: Patric

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
As some may remember last March I underwent a Decompressive Laminectomy on L4 and L5 due to stenosis and bone spurs. The recovery was quick and good but there were still some lingering issues with numbness on the face of my thighs if I stood or walked for very long periods. This has progressively gotten worse so back to the doc following another MRI in September. He sees nothing unusual except one nerve root looked a bit "tight" where it left the spine, possibly due to inflammation. Tried a steroid injection at the spine - root junction and it changed the condition but did not eliminate it.

I went back to see him again a few weeks ago and he wanted to try a Myelogram where they inject dye into the Dura of the spine and watch where it doesn't flow. This indicates pinched nerves and the test was a precursor to the MRI before it was developed. Interesting procedure as I was awake for it. When the dye was injected it felt like cold water flowing down the inside of my right butt cheek, weird. Later I felt like I had been hit with a baseball bat.

Bottom line is I have stenosis and bone spurs again only on L2 and L3. It was likely there all along but did not show on the MRIs I had. Good news is the surgery should eliminate my remaining issues and recovery should as quick as it was earlier this year. With the surgery scheduled for the 19th of January, I should be up and riding again by the time Spring Training Camp in the Smokies happens in April.

Sorry to hear of this inconvenience but am glad it's nothing more serious.

You are in my thoughts and prayers and can't wait to see you two at STC!! :)

Reactions: Lee510

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Take care John; prayers from Ohio.

Reactions: mwnahas

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Geez, John. This one should be free, right? I mean, even BMW guarantees their work for 2 years. Or maybe that's just the parts that are guaranteed. Either way - best wishes for another (FINAL) speedy recovery. You know the drill. :wave

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
We wish you a full and prompt recovery John!
Sorry you have to go through all that trouble though...
Have a great rest of 2014!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
All the best this time around, too, John. I hope you heal quickly!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
x2 hope you have a speedy recovery.

Same here buddy; looking forward to the ride out to Idaho next year!

I am sure Jean will be taking really good care of you.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Wow John! Hope this is the real culprit and they can fix it once and for all. Having been through two Lower Back surgeries over the decades (both involving L4-L5 area) for ruptured discs, I can sympathize. I can also tell you that tremendous strides have been made in the techniques and I predict you will be up & about sooner than you expect!

Good Luck!

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Despite the hand sanitizer and every thing else I appear to have contracted either the flu (yeah had the 35% effective shot) or a bad cold. Still going in tomorrow just so they can turn me down for the surgery.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No fever and clear lungs was a green light. Got the surgery and I am at home for the long recovery.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Hey buddy, I am sure the Jean will take real good care of you! Take it easy and if you need something give me a holler!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
I gotta bunch of ''speedy and successful recovery' candles, John. One of 'em now has your name on it and lights up real good. Best always.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I'm glad you got the surgery over with, John. Best wishes for a speedy, smooth, easy recovery.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the good wishes. I think I'll refrain from offering any advice here until I go off the pain meds - might screw something up for some one.:p Just a couple of more days

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
You get better Johnny Boy, you hear?;)

Reactions: pkpr1998
1 - 20 of 32 Posts