BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get one half of one day a week to perform all vehicle maintenance. Today I swapped an axle seal in the Vette, then looked over at the Cardboard box from Beemer Bonyard with the 12k kit and rolled up my sleeves.

1. The little clippy dealy in the shift linkage is a b*stard. I still don't have it disconnected.
2. The plastic fuel disconnects held. I'm gonna puch my luck and swap 'em for brass at the 42k mile mark.

Untitled by Matey-O, on Flickr

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157629304088052/

I predict I'll be stopping off at the beemer dealership for, at least, the little spring doodad for the shift linkage.

And the previous owner managed to kill off an odd number of wasps and yellowjackets.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
At least it is filthy under there ad you know she was not a garage queen. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I guess a pressure washer at this stage would be a mistake. :) wouldn't stop me from using the air compressor, though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
But I'm still wondering, what have you thrown out the window?

Tank?

Stingray?

???

:)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
quote "1. The little clippy dealy in the shift linkage is a b*stard. I still don't have it disconnected." quote.

Just think of the (twisted) mind that designed that thing, I bet he never has to service the linkage. :rolleyes: I think I fought that little [email protected]%&rd more than any other part on the bike. Good luck on your project. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you ever do a backflush of the radiator fins? I have soaked mine with simple green, then sprayed out from back to front with the hose nozzle. I was stunned at the amount of crud that comes out! Take the fans off prior to doing this. :D I like to use water, then blow out with compressed air for drying, keeping in mind how fragile the fins are.
She looks great! It's always a good thing to wake up and see something naked!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Centaurious said:
But I'm still wondering, what have you thrown out the window?

Tank?

Stingray?

???

:)
Caution. :dance:

And that damn shifter clip. It looked so EASY on Paul's DVD! (I fully expect that will be the piece that sends me back to the dealership parts desk.)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
The biggest problem with those peskey clips is they get bent by the ball stud if you put it at a tight angle. Once bent they are a bear to get out. I hook dental floss over the "head" of the clip to get it pulled away without stressing the joint.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jzeiler said:
The biggest problem with those peskey clips is they get bent by the ball stud if you put it at a tight angle. Once bent they are a bear to get out. I hook dental floss over the "head" of the clip to get it pulled away without stressing the joint.
I suspect this is what happened. Seemed like a seriously funky design thing...the first thing on the bike I could look at and say: Yeah, that's not remotely 'merican.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Rocketsled said:
I suspect this is what happened. Seemed like a seriously funky design thing...the first thing on the bike I could look at and say: Yeah, that's not remotely 'merican.
Unfortunately, it isn't something you can just let go. I was shocked at how dry mine was when I serviced it at 24K.

·
Registered
795 Posts
So jealous! You have J-Pegs and a 67(?) Caddy Hearse.

This is what my bike looks like right now, putting her back together this week then I can give my 1200C a break. These bikes even look beutiful naked.

I see you use Meguiers - good choice.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, it's a 66 (vertical rather than angled headlights), and the wife's. I said "If you really want it, I'll keep it running" and that was that. On a price per pound basis, it was really quite reasonable.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
saddleman said:
Nutin wron wit presue warshin I dos mn al th time. :rolleyes:
I'd agree, 99% of the time...but I discovered they used one to clean the bike up before I bought it and they filled the FD with vinaigrette dressing. :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
saddleman said:
You dun warshed off all o dat dere tuppaware wit cho presha warsha!

·
Registered
407 Posts
saddleman said:
Although I do my own service I never really understood why the LT engine was called the "Brick". Now that I see it on Saddleman's bench it's very obvious!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
saddleman said:
Pity it needs so much support equipment...that wouldn't make a bad lookin' bobber...course, after you get radiators and airboxes and gastanks and whatnot...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts