BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
!!!( Read the directions )!!!

A friend of mine in Phoenix called me yesterday and told me to go to Google's home page.

Then type in the word "failure" but DO NOT click on "Search" or hit "Enter". Instead, click on "I'm Feeling Lucky".

Try it, here's the link to make it easier - www.google.com

Very Interesting.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
... he sounds like a good guy, anyone heard of him?:D:D:D:p

·
Registered
308 Posts
Modesty

It's always nice to see that the truly big among us can be modest and self-effacing.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
:eek: Very interesting find

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Scooter Libby ... check
Tom Delay ... check
Bill Frist ... check
Karl Rove ... pending
Dickhead Cheney ... pending
G.W. ... pending

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
you know what pisses me off? manipulation. i get that lots of people think that George W is a dickhead. fine - then simply say that George is a dickhead. people would respect you (not anybody here in particular - i'm thinking of the dickheads at Google (see, it *is* easy to say)) a lot more if you just said what you had to say.

maybe it's humor. maybe it's some dweeb at google who is thinking he is funny. maybe it's google's corporate policy. whatever. but wouldn't it be a lot easier if they/him/whomever just said what they had to say instead of trying to make it look as if this was just some random seach? if you believe google (that's a stretch), their search results are based upon metadata and content on the page being returns, as well as common results. guess what? not one word on the page that comes up contains the word "failure" - in text or in metadata. yeah, i get that some people might think that W is a failure. fine. but that's not the way the search engine actually works. i have to wonder whether other results from google are skewed to a particular point of view (actually, i say that a bit in jest - there are plenty of examples of such).

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Here's Google's explanation...lame, but here it is.

Googlebombing 'failure'
9/16/2005 12:54:00 PM

Posted by Marissa Mayer, Director of Consumer Web Products

If you do a Google search on the word [failure] or the phrase [miserable failure], the top result is currently the White House’s official biographical page for President Bush. We've received some complaints recently from users who assume that this reflects a political bias on our part. I'd like to explain how these results come up in order to allay these concerns.

Google's search results are generated by computer programs that rank web pages in large part by examining the number and relative popularity of the sites that link to them. By using a practice called googlebombing, however, determined pranksters can occasionally produce odd results. In this case, a number of webmasters use the phrases [failure] and [miserable failure] to describe and link to President Bush's website, thus pushing it to the top of searches for those phrases. We don't condone the practice of googlebombing, or any other action that seeks to affect the integrity of our search results, but we're also reluctant to alter our results by hand in order to prevent such items from showing up. Pranks like this may be distracting to some, but they don't affect the overall quality of our search service, whose objectivity, as always, remains the core of our mission.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
danbrew ~ On google, when you click on "I'm feeling lucky", basically what that does is just take you to the first site that comes up if you were to just do a regular search. If you do it again, but this time click on "search", the first site that comes up is Roger Moore's website. He has somehow made it link to the white house website for GWB. It's not some dweeb at google, it's Moore. And I'm pretty sure he's not shy about stating his opinion in terms of G dubya.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I think you mean Michael Moore. Roger may or may not share the same views as that dickhead Michael Moore (you're right Dan, it's easy), but I don't think he's nearly as vocal about it.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts

Not biting, sorry

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
bikesnumbnuts said:
most brits think bush is a complete assole.
what do you members think.??????
04 your 05
graphite

Nice try troll, now go away.

numbnuts indeed...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts