BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

We ride in very heavily populated deer country. Last year there were 5600 "reported" deer claims in Georgia. Hundreds go unreported, due to not having comprehensive coverage on the vehicle. It is very common to see deer beside the road here.

I've noticed that if I have my stereo playing loudly, they spook easier. I've had 2 jump out recently, both times the stereo was blasting. I dont know if there is a co-relation or not. My brother is an avid hunter, but does not ride. he says that the "High-way" deer become accustomed to passing motor vehicles, but not the human voice, or other strange noises.

It's just an observation , but I'm going to ride with the headsets on or low or no speaker volume on the backroads.

Ride Safe,
Dale
I
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
What timing. I just sent an email to my riding group warning about the increase in deer population in our area. I ride to work most days (this time of year anyway) and I don't ever remember seeing this many deer...this early in the year. We just had a fatality on the nearby toll-road over the weekend, and I'm sure everybody remembers the late Larry Grodsky who died after hitting a deer in April 2006.

Headline from yesterday's fatality;
"Motorcyclist dies after hitting deer on the Indiana Toll Road" - June 7th, 2009
http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2009/06/07/news/porter/docd9b7716c06ee4b86862575cd007d8a1a.txt

Ride safe...
Toolman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Deer is a big problem. I remember once on I-95 swirving very hard to avoid a deer.

To avoid, when riding where there are lots of deer,

1) I stay on the left side of the road where they're least likely to be.
2) I try to drive behind another car about 100 feet or so, in theory if there is a deer the car will hit it and I can swirve out of the way, or the deer is less likely to cross in front of me if a car just zoomed by.
3) Try not to drive on highly populated deer areas at night.
4) Drive slow!

Be safe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Caveno said:
Deer is a big problem. I remember once on I-95 swirving very hard to avoid a deer.

To avoid, when riding where there are lots of deer,

1) I stay on the left side of the road where they're least likely to be.
2) I try to drive behind another car about 100 feet or so, in theory if there is a deer the car will hit it and I can swirve out of the way, or the deer is less likely to cross in front of me if a car just zoomed by.
3) Try not to drive on highly populated deer areas at night.
4) Drive slow!

Be safe!
#4 x 10....................then drive slower.........A lot of folks from around here know this but we get a lot of folks from out of State following the job chase..........They're all paid by the hour but mostly they will not slow down..................good grief......................

HID's help..................but you still have to slow down..................... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
I have lived in deer country for the past 30 years. Deer seem to be most active at dawn, and then again at dusk. That's when I am extra vigilant; I constantly scan the roadsides at that time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
The thing to remember are deer come out to get away from bug, to migrate to a new feeding area or to find a mate. They tend to follow paths. I live in a more hilly area of Minnesota and they tend to be at places were hills and valleys meet. I don't drive a lot of the flat lands so I can't tell you much about what habits they have there but I watch were 2 or 3 hills meet and will almost always find deer in these locations if I find them. The other area is in fields next to wooded areas.

They also tend to move at twilight which is the worse time for a humans eyes. You haven't adjusted for the dark yet. So my advise is to try and avoid the highway at twilight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
Last weekend i went to Ft Davis and made my way up to the observatory... nice twisty roads, highly reccomended..

deer just walk out in front of ya.. didnt matter about the HORN BLARING.. Shooting finger...
Yelling... LOading shotgun...
RELOADing shotgun..

Jeeze I guess we are the menace, huh?

DIDnt give a second thought to me..

Be careful.. even tho they look at ya, they might just keep right on going...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,651 Posts
Caveno said:
Deer is a big problem. I remember once on I-95 swirving very hard to avoid a deer.

To avoid, when riding where there are lots of deer,

1) I stay on the left side of the road where they're least likely to be.
2) I try to drive behind another car about 100 feet or so, in theory if there is a deer the car will hit it and I can swirve out of the way, or the deer is less likely to cross in front of me if a car just zoomed by.
3) Try not to drive on highly populated deer areas at night.
4) Drive slow!

Be safe!
I wouldn't count on #2 so much. I was stuck behind a pick up and Jeep in a no passing zone. Had a bike behind me and was following at a safe distance but not to far since I was looking to pass the Jeep and pick up. A BEAR ran out of the woods and went between me and the Jeep and right back into the woods on the other side. Never thought a bear could run that fast. I hammered the brakes all the while thinking the bear was hungry and I was going to be an easy meal. No can opener required! We had a very cold and very snowy winter here and so far the deer population appears to be way down. Still watching out though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
My favorite quickie ride is along Washington State Route 14 along the Columbia River between Vancouver, WA and Bridge of the Gods where I cross over the river and ride the Oregon side back.

The problem is the deer on the Washington side cross SR 14 to drink from and swim the river to the other side. I mentioned in another forum last year that my solution to avoiding deer is to avoid riding these roads 1 hr either side of dusk and dawn.

This is where the conversation began in earnest. One of the members suggested the use of "deer whistles". Those passive little square tube doohickeys that are supposed to apprise the deer of your imminent arrival at which point they wait just outside of view alongside the road until you are safely past their hideout.

Conversation continued on the merits of this product but the predominant opinion was that they don't work, or if they do the results are inconsistent.

Someone else then suggested letting a V twin rider take the point position thereby making your ride safer. This seemed somewhat callous and unfair to me.

My suggestion would be to place a couple chrome plated deer whistles on the V-twins and then let them ride point.

'Nuff said
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
wa1200lt said:
My suggestion would be to place a couple chrome plated deer whistles on the V-twins and then let them ride point.

'Nuff said
I've been riding Harelys for over 20 years and that's funny. I don't care who you are! :histerica
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
My question is where is deer country? I had deer scat on my sidewalk next to the front porch this morning. I live in a subdivision. Around here, if it ain't broad daylight (easier to see them),I slow down, ride in left lane when available, use my PIAAs & HID after dark, but they are everywhere from sun down to sun up. Don't forget dogs, cattle, horses and other large game animals. I think just about everywhere there's an animal who is likely to be in the road and can put a serious hurt on you.

Key thing to remember is if you see one, there is probably more. Slow down! Speed of impact is your worst enemy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
BennyBob said:
My question is where is deer country? I had deer scat on my sidewalk next to the front porch this morning. I live in a subdivision.
I was just thinking the same thing. I live in a Wash, DC suburb, about 3-4 miles outside the Beltway, and night before last I came across *5* deer having a fresh salad on a neighbor's plants right up the street.

Of course, the stupid hooved vermin didn't run away from the street toward the woods and golf course as I came around the turn -- noooo, they sauntered (didn't even break into a trot) across the road in front of me, heading for the backyards of the houses across the street.

Friggin "you can't kill Bambi" whiners in this area have made it impossible to control the over population around here -- but I've yet to find one of them that can tell me why a quick death by .30-.30 is more cruel than a prolonged death from starvation and disease or vehicular injury.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
mneblett said:
I was just thinking the same thing. I live in a Wash, DC suburb, about 3-4 miles outside the Beltway, and night before last I came across *5* deer having a fresh salad on a neighbor's plants right up the street.

Of course, the stupid hooved vermin didn't run away from the street toward the woods and golf course as I came around the turn -- noooo, they sauntered (didn't even break into a trot) across the road in front of me, heading for the backyards of the houses across the street.

Friggin "you can't kill Bambi" whiners in this area have made it impossible to control the over population around here -- but I've yet to find one of them that can tell me why a quick death by .30-.30 is more cruel than a prolonged death from starvation and disease or vehicular injury.
Things ARE different in the West... :wave

I have a friend who is an expert bow hunter and has been all over the world on big game hunts. He lives about a half mile from me in a highly populated urban area.

His neighbors think nothing of it when they see him at 5:00 am in camo in their back yards! Dave calls it "harvesting".

"Oh, not to worry - its just Dave out trying to feed his family".

Cooked correctly Venison is darned tasty. Very rare in a red hot cast iron skillet with a splash or two of good red wine and some shrooms - or by moist heat roasting. Tastes like chicken! :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Cooked correctly Venison is darned tasty. Very rare in a red hot cast iron skillet with a splash or two of good red wine and some shrooms - or by moist heat roasting. Tastes like chicken! :D
C'mon, Ron! It don't taste like chicken, it tastes like Bambi (the animal not the pole dancer) and that's a GOOD thing. Cooked as you suggest or ground up with herbs & spices and some pork or beef fat makes some of the finest sausage you ever ate. Makes good chili too. ;) Now I'm drooling on my keyboard!

+1 on bow hunting. No discharging of firearms in city limits. All legal and quiet. Won't wake the neighborhood. :sleep: :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
mneblett said:
Friggin "you can't kill Bambi" whiners in this area have made it impossible to control the over population around here -- but I've yet to find one of them that can tell me why a quick death by .30-.30 is more cruel than a prolonged death from starvation and disease or vehicular injury.
I cannot name the source, but I did read a few months back that there are more deer in the CONUS than when Columbus (or was that Ericson??) discovered America.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
hallzee said:
I have lived in deer country for the past 30 years. Deer seem to be most active at dawn, and then again at dusk. That's when I am extra vigilant; I constantly scan the roadsides at that time.
I've had em jump out mid-day on the mountain roads. I get on the mike and let the rest of the riders know to watch out but they just slow down and take pictures!

The animal movement in this country has done a great disservice to the very creatures they claim to protect. There are numerous states in the US where more deer are killed on the highway than by licensed hunters in a given year and that does not take into account those that die of starvation or the damage cost as they migrate into urban areas. It's all emotion and no logic at all. "People" are rapidly moving to the bottom of the "save" list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
We have a brend new fawn hiding in our Hosta plants in our garden waiting for mom's couple of visits a day to nurse. Very cute, but just wnat we need around here...another deer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
It is factually accurate that there ARE more deer in the US now, than when the Pilgrims landed. I'm in the Fredericksburg, VA area, and have never seen so many as this year. The deer have no natural predators to keep the population in check. There used to be wolves and cougar that preyed on deer in most area's (Of course that was long ago). Don't get me wrong....I'm certainly not a member of the Environmental, People are the Problem, Give up your Freedom and let the Gov't solve your problems association. But people need to come to facts with the reality that WE are the predators of the deer (And Rightfully So!!!). I'm NOT a hunter, as I'm usually too busy a person to go hunting. But I do think we are the Top of the food chain, and need to act as such, instead of this notion that we are always the problem....Screw that, It's that frame of thinking that's the problem. I say let hunter's take care of what Wolves and Cougar used to. Logically, this is the same as other natural predators taking deer, in fact it is the same. WE ARE THE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN. Or at least the ones who have not had our minds warped by the modern destroy your own freedoms and give control of everything to the F'ing Gov't movement. Move over Al Gore...the Damn deer in my yard are mine to deal with. Keep your freedoms (All of them...Cycles, Speech, Money, Arms, etc.) And happy riding. Seriously though, I've had two recent close encounters within 5 miles of home. One was double-up with the Wife, and that was a exceptionally close one, as she was looking off to the side, and was n't prepared for the full-on braking. She collided into my back, and we almost lost it doing roughly 45mph. A friend of mine actually hit one, also in Northern VA, it came from the woods lightning speed right out in front of him and somewhat ran into him at the same time he was running into it. It caught the right front fork of his Harley, and knocked his leg back so far he stated it nearly dismounted him from the bike. He was rather lucky, it damaged his windshield, headlights, handlebars, tank, seat, and his leg. Kept his upright, but a millisecond later and who knows.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,878 Posts
Tallyho said:
I've had em jump out mid-day on the mountain roads. I get on the mike and let the rest of the riders know to watch out but they just slow down and take pictures!

The animal movement in this country has done a great disservice to the very creatures they claim to protect. There are numerous states in the US where more deer are killed on the highway than by licensed hunters in a given year and that does not take into account those that die of starvation or the damage cost as they migrate into urban areas. It's all emotion and no logic at all. "People" are rapidly moving to the bottom of the "save" list.

MOST of the deer that I see are around dusk and dawn. I expect them. I have actually seen them grazing along I-75 just south of Ocala, Fl. and the traffic doesn't seem to bother them. Slowing down is the only thing that has worked for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Yep those deer can certainly cause a problem. If you ever wanted to see what happens when an LT collides with a deer take a look at these. I was probably only going about 45 mph when the deer came running across the road. I must admit the bike handled well, it stayed up and straight, and oh yea those abs brakes work real well. It happens so quick sometimes you don't have time to react. The damage came to a little under 6k, it's been down for about a month but hopefully i should get it back soon Just be careful out there.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top