BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 0800 about 30 miles south of Albany and riding about the speed limit, a deer T-boned the LT. The LT proved to be a stable ride during impact. The LT didn't go down, some tupperware will need replacing and Bambi lost some fur and is probably a cripple. I didn't stop since the bike showed no problems and I had an appointment I didn't want to miss. I called Progressive and the bike is now at Max's BMW (Albany area). I've had close calls before, this was the first time to hit a deer.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Stupid forest rats! Glad you came through the ordeal ok.

·
Registered
223 Posts
WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very happy to hear that you are OK. Bikes can always be fixed, and you have the bike at a really good dealership, based on my limited experience with them last week.

Where in Vermont do you live? I was with the scouting group in Killington last week, and I love your state. Great roads, very nice people and beautiful scenery.

Hope all goes well with the bike repairs.

John

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Awesome and great job!!! Hit a deer in 97 and it took me down. Totalled the bike.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,248 Posts
Glad you made it through that OK. I was southbound about that time on I-87 near Albany on Sunday. Glad the deer took the weekend off. I concur with John, you have a beautiful state and some great riding roads which I am sure everyone at CCR this year will enjoy.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Glad you are OK, like mentioned above you can fix the ride.......

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Yikes. Thanks for sharing this reminder. We all need to be vigilant for these critters. I've come very close, but have not hit one yet (knock on wood).

Glad to hear all is well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Glad you're ok. Nice to hear the LT took the brunt for you and still kept ticking. At least you got to ride some beautiful highway. I drove that stretch last summer from NYC to Lake George for a business meeting (In a rental Suburban with the entire family as opposed to riding two up with the wife on the LT, but still nice nonetheless).

·
Registered
929 Posts
Wow! Glad that Bambi didn't take you down...could have been much worse. Glad your okay!:thumb:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm glad you're okay too, and you didn't even miss your appointment. Well done! Deer can be hazardous to your health. Good news on the bike not wavering too. I've seen many deer, but have been lucky so far not to have made any contact one.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I'm glad you alright. Good job keeping the bike up.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Another "glad your OK" from here. Just reading about a deer on a motorcycle forum makes my heart beat a bit faster, and not in that warm fuzzy feeling way.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little background. I was traveling from Manhattan to VT for a work appointment and to get the LT registered at the DMV and later inspected. We've been shuttling household stuff and vehicles to our new home in the southern part of the state. The LT was the last vehicle to get moved from NYC to VT. After my appointment, I got the LT registered at the DMV. During the VIN inspection, a requirement in VT, the dour DMV lady observed that one of the body panels was caved-in, had a large hole and a bunch of fur stuck in the cracks. She said that the bike would never pass inspection. After the DMV, I rode over to an independent bike shop that sells/services everything and the fellow who did the inspection never noticed/or decided not to mention that the bike was not entirely intact and included a fur accessory. However everything did work that was required for the inspection.
Too bad that MAX BMW won't be able to get to the repair for a long time. I've done so little riding this year, only about 1K, compared with 35K last year. I guess the posting is a reminder that you have to be so careful where there are deer. At least in my area there are fewer pickup trucks, like you find down south or in TX that seem to be filled to the brim with appliances, furniture, etc and that frequently leave the freeway littered with that stuff. I've encountered toilets, ladders, couches, etc. In CA there are six lane freeways that give the crazy, cell phone talkers more room to roam across all lanes, so we all have special challenges unique to our areas. Stay safe out there.
Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts