BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am going to purchase my first BMW motorcycle this weekend and it is going to be a new 2011 R1200RT. Although I have been riding motorcycles for over 37 years this is going to be my first BMW. I can't wait. Thanks to the generousity of my local BMW dealer I was able to spend the entire weekend on a demo R1200RT. Man I am hooked. That bike simply rocks. Plus I look good on that bike. HA HA.

The only question now is what color. Do I go with the gorgeous Thunder Grey or do I go with the tri-colored version which is just as nice. Any suggestions or recommendations.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The tri-colored is faster and better.
I bought a 2011 tri-colored in Dec.
I really like the combination.
Have had a lot of positive comments on it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Which shade of grey should you get? You can't go wrong, but I prefer Thunder Grey to the zebra. Then, of course, there's Ostra Grey. Do you prefer matte or shiny? If you wait for the 2012 model there may be a new shade of grey.

I say pick the grey!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes I had the same dilema, went for plain Thunder. The 3 colour is nice but you pay for it and I wonder whether it is 'too nice ' for the RT. In RT world understated is good me thinks. Its actually just transfers and you might be better off spending the money on other goodies.

Kev

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also went Thunder grey, I first thought the tri-color was cool but in reality the Thunder Grey IMHO is classier and no doubt much much faster....better aerodynamics without the extra decals!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I went with the thunder gray as well. Couldn't see spending an extra $$$ for decals.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I opted for the Thunder Grey, couldn't see spending the xtra, but the tri-colour does look nice. However, I really love the colours of my bike, and when you are riding it, can you really tell the difference? Spend the xtra $'s on some highway pegs, top case, after market seat....the list goes on and on...There isn't a big enough difference to spend that money on something like a little bit of silver here and there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a choice of the three different colors but the other two grays had the radios, which I didn't want, so I went with the tri-colored.
Guess it depends on the other options that are on the bike that are available.
The colors are for other people since you can't see them while riding.
But.....the tri-color is faster.
Well, it was until I rode a 1600 GTL demo the other day.
The choice is silver or blue, dark blue that shows all the fingerprints.
Decisions, decisions, decisions

·
Registered
726 Posts
Any colour you pick will be a good decision.
Congrats on your decision to buy an RT!
I love mine. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the good words and suggestions. I picked up my new R1200RT yesterday morning. I ended up going with the tri-colored version. My dealer gave me a great price on the bike and it came with all of the options I was looking for. There was a Thundergrey bike there but it didn't have a radio set up so it kind of made my decision a little easier.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I love the tri-colored one. In the end I had to chose the low suspension unit with the Thunder Grey color, which I really like. Just wish that BMW would allow the low susp. units to have cruise control and options for a radio. Or it would have been nice to be able to get it as a dealer add on.

·
Registered
201 Posts
vulcan said:
The tri-colored is faster and better.
I bought a 2011 tri-colored in Dec.
I really like the combination.
Have had a lot of positive comments on it.

Ditto, the Tri-color is really outstanding. Got mine in April...

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can't go wrong with the tri-color! You read all the people spending money to paint their top box to match! With the tri-color, you don't have to. It matches already. I also picked up the grill protector from Wunderlich. It is silver, and fits over the existing piece. It is a perfect match and looks stunning! Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
112 Posts
moonw5 said:
I love the tri-colored one. In the end I had to chose the low suspension unit with the Thunder Grey color, which I really like. Just wish that BMW would allow the low susp. units to have cruise control and options for a radio. Or it would have been nice to be able to get it as a dealer add on.
Here in the US, all options are available with the low suspension except ESA and heated seat. Looking at bmw-motorrad.ca, same in Canada.

For sure the audio system is available as an accessory through a dealer; not sure about cruise control.

·
Registered
80 Posts
timbotc said:
You can't add cruise control! It either has it or it doesn't!
I'm glad you said this as I was going to call my dealer today to get it added!

·
Registered
543 Posts
moonw5 said:
I'm glad you said this as I was going to call my dealer today to get it added!
Don't forget the stainless exhaust turns brown. Get the chromed exhaust if you want to avoid the brown color.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's a fact that Ostra Grey is the fastest. Isn't "Tri-Color" reserved for tree varieties? And isn't the "Tri Color" scheme completed by using stickers? I don't want no stink'n stickers! :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Timbotc thanks for the heads up on the grill protectors. I will be looking into those. Believe it or not here in Orange County Southern California it has been raining the last three days so I decided not to take my bike out and haven't had the chance to ride it since I brought it home from the dealership. Man that sucks. However today is gorgeous and I think i am leaving work early to get my funk on and get some miles in. Ride on!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts