BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my bike back from its 12K service last night. The dealership was closing and it was dark so I couldn't do an in-depth visual inspection at the time of pick up but when I stopped for gas on the way home I noticed a couple of things. I could no longer place the gas cap in the cap stand because it was covered up by plastic and the left side of the dash fairing has a large gap between plastic parts. It appears as if this whole top secion of the tupperware is now askew.

Should I take it back and have them realign the tupperware or is this a simple enough fix to do yourself?
BTW: The bill is over $1K for this type of service.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
VTROMBOLI, I would definitely take it back and have them do it while you wait for it. You don't want something out of place that is going to give you a problem when you are out on the road. I would also take a real close look at their work. I noticed one of the covers on my tip over bars was l little loose. Turned out their was no screws holding it on thanks to my dealer.

BTW my fleet includes a 650 VStrom (pic attached). I love the damn thing! A great compliment to the LT.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would take it back to them and show it to the service manager, ask them to fix it while you wait. You paid a lot for this service, it should be perfect.

As a matter of interest what type of oil did you choose to go with.
Your question started an interesting and busy thread.

P.S. I hope the dealer treats you as expected.

·
Registered
577 Posts
what all did they do,

To get to the 1000+ bill. When I inquired concerning the service cost, My dealer told me They would be close to what the CLC cost. Average 320.
I would def. take it back. it would also get me to wondering what else they were Sloppy on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The same thing happened to me at the 1000 mile service. When I got my bike home and began washing it, a small curved piece of rubber fell out from the bottom of my bike.

It looked like it was designed to slide onto a piece of metal at an area where wiring would be to keep the wiring from chaffing on the sharp metal surface. But where did it come from?

I took the bike and the part back to the dealership and asked them. Since they had taken a vast majority of tupperware off to replace the right heated grip it had to have come from there. Unfortunately, the guys who worked on the bike had no idea where the little rubber sleeve came from. Since there was no part number on the rubber edging, they couldn't look it up and pretty much threw up their collective hands and said there was nothing they could do.

They also covered the gas cap holder just like on your bike along with crimping the rubber flange on the left side of the gas cap which made opening the fuel door difficult. (I fixed that)

They did agree to buff out the two scratches on my tank and the one scratch on my front fender.

Its really unfortunate to take a $20,000.00 motorcycle in for what is supposed to be routine service and have to deal with these problems when you get it back. But most of us have few choices because there are few dealers to choose from. I guess that is one of the drawbacks to owning an LT verses owning a Wing. But overall, I think the Beemer is still the better motorcycle all the way around.

Steve Gray
2005 LT

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the itemized invoice. The labor cost really surprised me.
And I went with synthetic oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
The bottom line if the shop can't install the tupperware correctly what els is F#%#ed Up. Insist the head shop man if he is any good be the only guy to work on your bike. Better yet do the work yourself!

Pete aka murray

·
Registered
115 Posts
vstromboli said:
Yes apparently your valves were in spec . Ask for the worksheet with valve clearances. The prices are absurd, but the removal of all the T-wear takes time. Depending how many Miles you log a year preventive maintenance is costly through the shop. Good Luck

Pete aka murray

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
The rubber tower getting caught under the fairing is VERY common. It takes a little care when putting the right fairing back on to make sure it is free. I have had this happen myself when I did not pay close attention to it when putting the fairings back on. Usually though, uou can use a small screwdriver and pop it back out without removing the fairing again.

The gap in the fairings though is another matter. Would have the dealer fix that, don't know what he could have done to leave that gap. I never had that problem, and removed/replaced fairings MANY times.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Does it really take 12.7 hrs to do a 12K maintenance???? Correctly???
I just looked at the checklist and there is quite a bit to do if you actually did everything on the list... David, Does it really take that long????

Note to self.... Open Bike Shop.. Specialize in BMW service and maintainance...

John

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
i believe the gap occurs when the cables aren't properly routed in their niche by the plastic fuel tank. it takes some fiddling to make sure they are all in their proper place.

one grand for labor. wow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just completed a 12k service by the dealer. Labor cost was based on 8 hrs. total time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
re- invoice

vstromboli said:
vstromboli - I printed off your invoice. Noted the total hours charged were 12.7. My dealer told me the time it takes to do the 12000 mile or 20000km (in Canada) is 12 to 13 hours. The labour rate at the dealer I deal with is $75.00 per hour. Looking at your invoice the cost would have been the same. In my case I asked them not to change the plugs, air filter, fuel filter or any lubricants. They knocked off about 3 hours. I had them do the valves, ABS check and change brake fluid so that there could be no warranty problems if one did arise. I do not think they over charged you. The quality is a concern.
They should bend over backwards to make you happy. Service is their livelyhood. I work at an auto dealership. Service is also important.
They may have a problem with a tech. It is their responsibility to rectify that.
You may not be the only one. Again, Good Luck.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You definitely should get that fixed. Dealer misalignments just like that eventually caused a stress crack in my dash, which, of course, nobody would accept any responsibility for, since it naturally happened some time later. Replacing the skins should be the easiest thing the techs do. There is no excuse for getting it wrong.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
I know exactly what causes that gap. There is a tab on the fairing panel that fits into the stingray. If this tab isn't inserted, it bends, causing said gap. It's covered in the Sayegh tapes and I just can't believe a dealer would miss it.

I also think 12 hours is ludicrous for a service. If that were the case, when we have tech sessions in my gearage, folks would have to spend the night. Hell, we ADJUSTED the valves in less than two hours, i.e., pulled the cams and replaced shims.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
For those that's gonna do more service at their dealer, I can relate that whenever I take the bike to the dealer, I know well in advance how long he will need it and he assures me he has all parts.

Before I leave the bike with him, we go over the work to be done. He has a good idea how long it will take for each chore, and gives me a close ballpark of total hours, so I know when it will be done and pretty close how much money it will take.

If in my questioning, I come up with a questionable procedure or time, I jump on this site and ask...before the work is done. Saves rude surprises.

Good dealers don't have a problem with this. Anything else is a pig in a poke. Bend over, grab 'em and smile....yeah, I've had to do that, too!

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Is it improper etiquette to ask what dealer it was? I will need the 12K service done soon and I will probably take it to a dealer. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Texas42 said:
Is it improper etiquette to ask what dealer it was? I will need the 12K service done soon and I will probably take it to a dealer. :)
Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Double Dipping?

Jacques,
Since you had the 12k, Annual and a fluid flush done in a single service You may have been charged labor hours to do the jobs separately. The flat rate times always include the time to remove and install the body panels. There may also be items that are on both the 12K and Annual service. These overlapping times are seldom refunded when doing multiple services. Ask the dealer if you had the three services done on three separate days, would it cost the same as doing it in a single session?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Durn tootin'!

pjessen said:
For those that's gonna do more service at their dealer, I can relate that whenever I take the bike to the dealer, I know well in advance how long he will need it and he assures me he has all parts.

Before I leave the bike with him, we go over the work to be done. He has a good idea how long it will take for each chore, and gives me a close ballpark of total hours, so I know when it will be done and pretty close how much money it will take.

If in my questioning, I come up with a questionable procedure or time, I jump on this site and ask...before the work is done. Saves rude surprises.

Good dealers don't have a problem with this. Anything else is a pig in a poke. Bend over, grab 'em and smile....yeah, I've had to do that, too!
Like Pete said, I cover EVERYTHING with BMW of Atlanta B4 anything is done. I have never had an issue with them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts