BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all dealers charge the $495 shipping fee plus a $495 dealer prep fee or is this just the Daytona BMW dealer ? Just curious. This dealer also does not give any indication they are willing to negotiate at ALL on price.Do they not realize there are other dealers in the country that are? Especially those up north!

I would love to be able to buy a new bike locally,but have never been able to get a deal in Daytona Beach on any make of bike. Always have to go out of town. And always do!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Yes Dealers charge shipping & Dealer prep on ALL NEW bikes. They pay for the shipping to get the bike & so do you. Also part of the bikes are removed (front wheel. windshield,& such) so the bike can be put in a crate The amount may very from different parts of the country.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just bought an '11 model last month. The freight was charged but no dealer prep fee. I paid about $80 for document fee and title processing thru the state; nothing else.
They discounted the price of the bike and gave me a fair price for my trade, too.

If you want to take a thousand mile ride home, let me know and I'll hook you up!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya,I saw the video on You Tube of the uncrate and assembly. Uncrate put on the front wheel and windshield.For $500 I'll take it in the crate and assemble myself.

Shipping anywhere on the east coast to me is about $550 so I am looking to buy in another location like always,Thanks Daytona Beach!

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
As part of the prep there is a significant check list that the dealer is responsible to complete (will post it later) for safety purposes.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
There are lots of dealers and some are more aggressive on price than others.

Your local guy will service it and do warranty/recall work no matter where you bought it.

Shop around... get the best price, make the local guy a serious offer. You may get it.

"Serious" means you have the money- ready to buy- easy sale for them to make... etc.

·
Registered
368 Posts
During a recent "call around" to several dealers, one dealer told me that his markup
on a new RT at MSRP is only 11%. My followup remark was, "OK, assuming that
is your markup over retail invoice, how much does BMW pay you for the sale
of each RT?" He wouldn 't answer me. The best leverage tool I've used to
get any deal lower has been to not discuss price until I'm ready to do the deal
and then have either a big check or a stack of 100's for a substantial down
payment. Any unfinanced cash flow you offer a dealer usually works
wonders.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I don't like seeing those numbers either but as a business owner there is the cold, hard fact that it costs money to be in business. Whether I mark up the price or add 'fees' the total has to cover my expenses and leave room for enough profit to make it worth keeping the doors open. One advantage to added prep labor versus an extra % on the markup is the tax issue. For now, in most states, labor is not taxable but a higher mark up is. Both you and the dealer save if the labor is listed separately.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Unless things have changed the manufacturer pays for the PDI
The dealer is given op codes to get payed for this.
Some dealers charge the customer for this and the reason is because you pay it.
It's a double dip.
Shop around and find a dealer that doesn't charge for a PDI or a 1st service, they're out there.

·
Registered
688 Posts
In the for what it is worth department, I have worked in the service department at a BMW dealer and yes, there is a reimbursement from BMW Motorrad to PDI a new bike that comes in a crate. It covers about 75% of the actual time it takes a skilled tech to do the job correctly. BMW does the same thing on warranty issues as well. Sorry folks, it ain't what you think.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
729 Posts
UltraLT said:
In the for what it is worth department, I have worked in the service department at a BMW dealer and yes, there is a reimbursement from BMW Motorrad to PDI a new bike that comes in a crate. It covers about 75% of the actual time it takes a skilled tech to do the job correctly. BMW does the same thing on warranty issues as well. Sorry folks, it ain't what you think.

Ultra LT
True that you won't get rich doing warranty work, I was at a dealer 20 years, but if the PDI takes four hours and the dealer passes on one to the customer I think most can live with that.
They will make it up anyway with acessories, service, parts (if their smart).

·
Registered
219 Posts
You can make some headway on desired extras....extended warranty, engine guards, nav, pannier liners, etc...stuff you might want. Once they have made their desired profit, they are often softer on other things and are willing to go to their cost, or throw them into the deal.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Bottom line is every dealer is different. While I'm all for my car and bike
dealers making a fair profit, I'm also very committed to keeping every one
of my hard earned dollars that I can. We all know that a properly
managed business can make money selling everything below MSRP,
and not charge $100/hour for service while paying the mechanics $25/hr.
Any good business model develops cash flow rather than maximum profit.
Perhaps why I've noticed in my 54 years/24 new cars/ and 12 new bikes
that the dealers with the best after sales service are also the ones
who sell for less and are most willing to make a deal for less than MSRP.

It's pretty easy for me to spot a dealer who has greedy take-it or leave-it attitude
on price and service....especially one who always parks his new model year
$60K vehicle at the front door and wears a $6K wristwatch.....as compared to
my HD dealer who wears tennis shoes and drives a beater, but sells everything
below MSRP and provides nothing less than A++ customer service.

My other observation is that If I'm bitchin' about the price and maintenance
cost, I probably can't afford to own it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My experience at Daytona BMW was exactly the same as the original poster. After promising to take care of me and give me the best possible deal, their "best offer" was MSRP, plus shipping, plus 495.00 on an in-stock R1200RT. Some deal! When I said that I wanted to order a new 2011, they told me it would take at least a 4000.00 non refundable deposit (in case I decided to back out of the deal) Also, they refused to tell me what the final price would be because they claimed that BMW would not tell them what their dealer cost would be. I've never heard such bs. from any vehicle dealer in my life. It was perfectly clear to the dealer that I was a serious buyer and not just a tire kicker. Daytona BMW treats a potential buyer with complete contempt.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Go online, shop around, there's a strong possibility that some dealer is eager to make a deal.

The prep on some motors is a twenty-minute job (mount tire, add fuel), others include a fairings-off inspection and test routine (ABS, lights, computer, etc).

Before you buy from some dealer a couple of states away, consider that the local dealer only stays in business by getting customers. If you want them to be there when you need them, you have to support them. Consider also the time and expense of going a long way to get your new motor. Consider that if two motors come in needing a part that they only have one of in stock, the one bought locally will get the one off the shelf and the one bought from somewhere else will wait for the replacement to be shipped in.

If you can save $500 by going 100 miles, it's worth it. If you save $200, it's not worth it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
And here's my $0.02 from the Heartland, fresh in from shoveling the drive.

There's great value to me in having a dealer nearer, rather than far. Mine's 5 minutes away. Next one's a couple hours or so. There's also great value in having a good relationship with the dealer. In my view, after the sale, Gina's has gone out of their way to be accommodating and helpful, in economic and non-economic ways.

Did I try to shake the last dime out of 'em on any of our deals? No. Are they fair and reasonable? I think so. It's easy to shop around nationally to see what bikes/tires/service/cars/boats/electronics etc. sell for, so that we know a fair price when we see it. On a new purchase, if I think a vendor is pretty high, I might very well tell 'em XYZ dealership sells for this price, how close can you get to that? On the other hand, if the research shows they're pretty competitive, good enough for me.

Excellent service is of great value to me. Anybody can sell me a bike on the cheap - you date the seller, but you're married to the service people, after you buy. That's the important part to me. Views of others may vary.

Best, John

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Right on the money Trojan! Profit is not a dirty word....as long as the dealer doesn't try to make it all from one customer!

Regards,

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think this is relevant, if not please forgive me!

I was able to save about 2000€ on my R1200RT by shopping around. Due to the exchange rate it actually was cheaper to buy the bike in England and bring it in to Belgium. The only snag was I am only officially allowed to buy it through BMW Park Lane.

During my research I was not given a lot of manoeuvring room by the other dealers willing to sell to me because they knew they would not get the service and other maintenance profit. I did give the local dealer a chance to match the price, but the price difference was too great. I would say always involve the local dealer as they will be handling your bike after you buy it.

For those in Belgium or other continental Europe countries wishing to duplicate what I did, be careful. If you go to another dealer than Park Lane they will sell you a "Used" BMW bike which can have implications to your service card. My local dealer requested the service card be brought over to Belgium. This change has meant instead of lasting two years, it lasts for however long I keep the bike. 2nd owner,? no service card! No assistance if you break down or have an accident!

Shopping around can give you a good price, but it also has risks!

Best regards
Sleuth

·
Registered
311 Posts
What a load of crap. The MSRP includes freight and "dealer prep" (actually PDI which is paid to the dealer by BMW as was mentioned before). The way they are advertising isn't so much to get a bigger profit. Its to hide what they are really selling it for. With $1000 of added fees, they can negotiate $1000 off their price so the customer feels like they got a better deal than those "scoundrels" who will not negotiate off MSRP.

I am in the car business and I know how this works. I don't like it at all.

Just so you know, here is how Morton's BMW lists prices on their web site:

Prices shown include ALL freight and prep; unlike some shops, we do not mark up the price of our motorcycles or charge you extra to set them up. No other charges apply except tax, tag, title, $99 processing fee (VA and MD, other states are $199), and any options or accessories you might want to purchase with the bike.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Sleuth said:
I think this is relevant, if not please forgive me!

I was able to save about 2000€ on my R1200RT by shopping around. Due to the exchange rate it actually was cheaper to buy the bike in England and bring it in to Belgium. The only snag was I am only officially allowed to buy it through BMW Park Lane.

During my research I was not given a lot of manoeuvring room by the other dealers willing to sell to me because they knew they would not get the service and other maintenance profit. I did give the local dealer a chance to match the price, but the price difference was too great. I would say always involve the local dealer as they will be handling your bike after you buy it.

For those in Belgium or other continental Europe countries wishing to duplicate what I did, be careful. If you go to another dealer than Park Lane they will sell you a "Used" BMW bike which can have implications to your service card. My local dealer requested the service card be brought over to Belgium. This change has meant instead of lasting two years, it lasts for however long I keep the bike. 2nd owner,? no service card! No assistance if you break down or have an accident!

Shopping around can give you a good price, but it also has risks!

Best regards
Sleuth
That's crazy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts