BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I forgot to put the charger my LT and didn't ride it for 2 weeks and discovered that the battery had gone completely dead. I have a Tire Pressure Monitoring system that's wired hot to the battery. I tried charging the battery, but it was gone. It was 4 years old.

Now here's the part I need help with. I purchased a new battery, hooked it up and when I hit the starter button all the lights, gauges and other electrical stuff on the bike went out, and have not come back on, even when I turn the key off and then back on. I checked the battery and it show 12.5v or so and all the fuzes appear good.

With the key in the on position nothing lights up.

I never heard the starter crank either before I replace the battery or after so I don't think it's the starter relay gone bad.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
if you have connected all the leads back properly my guess is its flat, 12.5v is a bit low for a new battery should be up around 13v. give it a good charge with a battery charger dont use a trickle charger it will need a high amp charge to bring it up

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The part I don't get, and I don't think I explained it well enought is that all of the lights and gauges don't like up with the key in the on position any more at all. After I hit the start button everything went out. I turned the key off and then on and the instrument panel does not light up and the gauges don't go through their self test.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maybe a fuse? Or fuses? Possibly an overload with a new battery...I don't know enough to be sure, but that's another guess. Hope it all gets worked out.

I know when I had cars instead of a bike, whenever I changed the battery I had to make sure all the leads were actually tied in instead of assuming that all was connected the way I thought it should be. (Worked with a bunch of sound system junk, and drove at night with dark panels a number of times.) Possibly just follow wiring if the fuses are actually fine?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Stuck starter relay perhaps ... A problem on 99-01 machines if memory's correct ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's probably a long shot, but make sure the cables are still good. Pull on them and wiggle them around at both ends. It sounds to me like you have a severely corroded battery cable
and I have seen them look perfect from the outside but all but rotted in 2 under the insulation.
Other suggestion is a lose connection at the solenoid or corrosion there.
Best of luck

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think mioffroarder is right on track, that is where I would check and to reiterate, check BOTH ends of the cables, particularly the ground. Also you need a good charge on the battery. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
82 Posts
rab1967 said:
Now here's the part I need help with. I purchased a new battery, hooked it up and when I hit the starter button all the lights, gauges and other electrical stuff on the bike went out, and have not come back on, even when I turn the key off and then back on. I checked the battery and it show 12.5v or so and all the fuzes appear good.

With the key in the on position nothing lights up.

I never heard the starter crank either before I replace the battery or after so I don't think it's the starter relay gone bad.

The fact that the lights worked initially, and went out when you tried to add the draw of the starter, indicates a loose or bad connection.

Either you didn't properly tighten the battery cable bolts, or you have a bad cable.

Battery condition has nothing to do with it. Static state of a 12V battery in excellent condition is 12.65V. 12.5V is a touch low, but would still turn on every light in the bike, and crank it, probably at normal speed.

Check your connections.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Dead Motorcycle UPDATE

To make a long story short the new battery I had purchased when the old one died was bad. It would show 12.5 volts, but as soon as you put a load on it, it created an open. Basically it didn't create a circuit under load.

Other then having a battery load testing gadget, I don't know how else you could determine this.

The shop I bought it from replaced it without any problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts