BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weekends ago I was out for a nice ride to grab some food. About 5 min into the ride lost power. Nothing! Pull in clutch RPM drops to zero. Coast to a stop in a driveway and can't get it started. Have it towed to the dealer. They couldn't get to it until Monday and now on Wed they can't get it started either. They said it will sputter and stall. They pull the plugs and they are fouled. It's getting spark and fuel but not running.

Told them to check the Kickstand switches (it's a trike so they aren't used anymore but still under there).

Anyone have an ideas on this? They said the next they were going to check was the Hall Sensor on the crankshaft (I think I wrote it down right). But they are perplexed. It was running perfect then no power no weird noises no hesitation or power changes just dead.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Once, my LT did that and the fuel line came off of the fuel pump in the gas tank.
Would crank all day but would not start. (but, your plugs are fouled)??

·
Registered
71 Posts
And I had that happen to me on an '03 when the fuel line was kinked at the quick disconnect. (But, your plugs are fouled?) Could they have been fouled before the "outage"?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
kk610lt said:
Once, my LT did that and the fuel line came off of the fuel pump in the gas tank.
Would crank all day but would not start. (but, your plugs are fouled)??
A clogged charcoal canister would be the first and easy check. Open your fuel cap and listen for a whoosh sound; if you hear that then a canisterectomy is in order. A loose fuel line in the tank would be my 2nd item to check.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zippy_gg said:
A clogged charcoal canister would be the first and easy check. Open your fuel cap and listen for a whoosh sound; if you hear that then a canisterectomy is in order. A loose fuel line in the tank would be my 2nd item to check.
Already did the canisterectomy. :) Just called and confirmed the plugs are getting wet. (not sure if I should be happy about that or not).

But when it first stopped when trying to start it you could smell raw gas at the exhaust pipe. So I initially thought ignition. I set and unset the alarm (because I couldn't remember if it cuts off the fuel or the ignition or both).

I was really hoping it would be the kickstand switch (I found that on this forum after it was already towed in) but he also confirmed they checked that and it's fine. :(

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
The Hall sensor goes pretty fast as well. Hope they get it sorted out.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Fouled plugs can indicate bad fuel. Just fill it up or has it set all winter with no fuel treatment? Also partially clogged injectors can do what you describe.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
deanwoolsey said:
Fouled plugs can indicate bad fuel. Just fill it up or has it set all winter with no fuel treatment? Also partially clogged injectors can do what you describe.

Nope, Low fuel light had just come on from a fresh tank within the last week, we already logged several hundred miles this year.

Only have 12K on it. It was running great right before it died. Got yelled at by my wife for nailing it to get around our friend on a Harley, no problem walking away from him.

But keep the suggestions coming! Hopefully someone will hit on it.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
If the plugs are wet that pretty much says ignition...

Be sure.. Have them test the pressure at the fuel rail.. Check for spark is your next step..

No spark, Work your way back to the hall sensor.

I agree when the hall sensor goes. It's good night Irene.....

John

·
Registered
832 Posts
Why are we all telling a dealer what to check for? Is it a Vespa dealer?

·
Registered
92 Posts
rosenhauer said:
Nope, Low fuel light had just come on from a fresh tank within the last week, we already logged several hundred miles this year.

Only have 12K on it. It was running great right before it died. Got yelled at by my wife for nailing it to get around our friend on a Harley, no problem walking away from him.

But keep the suggestions coming! Hopefully someone will hit on it.

LOL....can't resist commenting on this.... I'm a Harley guy who just also happens to own an LT. Just curious if your friend on his Harley rode home (albeit slow) after the LT left you sit. OKAY....flame jacket on....INCOMING....lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
loser said:
LOL....can't resist commenting on this.... I'm a Harley guy who just also happens to own an LT. Just curious if your friend on his Harley rode home (albeit slow) after the LT left you sit. OKAY....flame jacket on....INCOMING....lol
No, they hung around. Then his wife got on the back of his and I borrowed her trike and the 4 of us went to eat (the initial destination). Reminded me why I don't have a Harley. Not that it's a bad machine, just that ti doesn't offer nearly the comfort level. I do like the low end torque though but not enough to give up the quiet and comfort of the LT. My wife won't let me test drive a K1600 - we might like it too much :)

We've (the 4 of us) have toured all around the country and this makes us even for breakdowns.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kk610lt said:
Why are we all telling a dealer what to check for? Is it a Vespa dealer?
It is a BMW Motorad dealer :bmw:

I just figured there is a lot more combined experience here on the LT's than at any single dealer. And maybe someone had an odd solution that was easy to check and could save me some labor and help get it back before our upcoming trip - 16 day and probably 2.5K miles. Hate to have to change it to a car trip :( We are supposed to leave 1 week from today!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
rosenhauer said:
It is a BMW Motorad dealer :bmw:

I just figured there is a lot more combined experience here on the LT's than at any single dealer. And maybe someone had an odd solution that was easy to check and could save me some labor and help get it back before our upcoming trip - 16 day and probably 2.5K miles. Hate to have to change it to a car trip :( We are supposed to leave 1 week from today!
The one time I had This happen was on a older K75. It turned out to be the air flow meter was not allowing ant air thru to the F. I. system, so the engine flooded down. As you said the gas smell was even coming from the exhaust. I am not sure what type of air control the 1200 uses, but no air no run. Your dealers computer analyser should detect any problem in the hall system. They should also be able to test the fuel pressure. These tools are required by BMW to be a dealer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hp1bmw said:
The one time I had This happen was on a older K75. It turned out to be the air flow meter was not allowing ant air thru to the F. I. system, so the engine flooded down. As you said the gas smell was even coming from the exhaust. I am not sure what type of air control the 1200 uses, but no air no run. Your dealers computer analyser should detect any problem in the hall system. They should also be able to test the fuel pressure. These tools are required by BMW to be a dealer.
Apparently the fuel injection is completely different on the K1200 and there is no Air Flow meter. They haven't had time to get to the Hall sensor. They actually had a 3 week backlog and are trying to fit this in between other scheduled repairs.

Don't remember if I mentioned earlier (and am to lazy to reread the thread :) ) but the computer analyzer showed no error codes.

·
Cat Herder
1,536 Posts
This happened to me once... I had just got on the freeway and a few miles later the motor just died. Grabbed the clutch right away and coasted to the next exit. The problem was ultra simple. A multi-wire plug under the plastic was plugged it but it was not making contact anymore.

After being stranded, the dealer picked up the bike and replaced the plug and I never had the problem again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
deanwoolsey said:
Recently adjust the valves by any chance? High RPM followed by dead engine could be a timing chain issue.
No recent valve adjustment. The High RPM (probably not over 7K) was 10+ min before it died.

This happened to me once... I had just got on the freeway and a few miles later the motor just died. Grabbed the clutch right away and coasted to the next exit. The problem was ultra simple. A multi-wire plug under the plastic was plugged it but it was not making contact anymore.
I'm hoping it's that simple. Did the computer show an error for them to know where to look or did they just get lucky and wiggle it or know to look at that spot.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
There is a three pin connector on the spark block. It is a locking connector that may have come loose - worth a try. I had one on an injector that I thought was locked on and it wasn't. It didn't pass the tug test but before I found it the bike ran like crap above 3,000 rpm as it would come loose and cut out that one injector.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Maybe?
Maybe only on 2005..I dunno.
2005 BMW K1200 LT FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP Recall
2005 BMW K1200 LT FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
Units affected: 380 BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC
Report Date: 2004-09-09
Summary: ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, AT LOWER TEMPERATURES, WIRING WITHIN THE ANTI-THEFT CONTROL UNIT MAY PRESS AGAINST THE FUEL PUMP RELAY. THE FUEL PUMP RELAY CONTACTS COULD OPEN, INTERRUPTING THE FUEL SUPPLY TO THE ENGINE, RESULTING IN STALLING.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts