BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does my battery go dead in about a week ?
This is on my r1200rt 2011, I have less than 200 miles on bike.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The quick answer is that a new battery should not go dead in a week even if you have your bike parked in below freezing weather. Having said that, no tender and really cold weather are not a good combination for battery life. Also, what accessories do you have on your bike? It is possible you have an abnormal drain on the battery while parked if you have a bunch of accessories that are a constant drain on the battery.

It does not take long to trash even a new battery if allowed to get too low in charge. Get yourself a smart battery tender for the next one. Good luck getting BMW to pay for a new battery. Get your dealer to go to bat for you.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
No, Not unless you've wired something in that draws current all the time.
If you haven't farkelized it, Then take it to the dealer, Something is wrong.
It could just be a bad battery, It happens...

John

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I know this may sound cynical, but some dealers of Japanese bikes have been known to not use the new battery with a new bike and put a used one in and sell the new one. I don't know how BMW ships their bikes, but it's something I would wonder about at this point.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey Bruce - I assume you bought at SouthSound -- I'd call them tomorrow. Port Orchard rules out "extreme cold," and their reputation/product line discredits the "battery switch" theory. My impressions in dealing with them have been very good, and I expect to go there for my 1600, but I would welcome your "experience report." This email, of course, gives you an opportunity to mention my request. :cool:

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Bruce - You must have either a faulty battery or something is draining power while the bike is parked. Did you install anything directly to the battery? Also, like johnnyray said, take it back to the dealer as this is not normal. I bought my '08 at Ride West in Seattle and they also own South Sound; I deal with both and have had very good experiences with each of them. Let us know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
It's a bad battery or a parasitic draw. Small chance it's a bad voltage regulator or loose connection. If the dealer seems mystified and the problem persists PM me and I can walk you through how to check it. Getting to the battery is 90 percent of the job. The rest takes a ten dollar Harbor Freight meter and a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
johnnyray said:
Hey Bruce - I assume you bought at SouthSound -- I'd call them tomorrow. Port Orchard rules out "extreme cold," and their reputation/product line discredits the "battery switch" theory. My impressions in dealing with them have been very good, and I expect to go there for my 1600, but I would welcome your "experience report." This email, of course, gives you an opportunity to mention my request. :cool:
reputation is a belief, not a fact.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
UltraLT said:
The quick answer is that a new battery should not go dead in a week even if you have your bike parked in below freezing weather. Having said that, no tender and really cold weather are not a good combination for battery life. Also, what accessories do you have on your bike? It is possible you have an abnormal drain on the battery while parked if you have a bunch of accessories that are a constant drain on the battery.

It does not take long to trash even a new battery if allowed to get too low in charge. Get yourself a smart battery tender for the next one. Good luck getting BMW to pay for a new battery. Get your dealer to go to bat for you.

Ultra LT
My new bike sat for a stretch of 3-3.5 weeks in a cold garage and still started fine. I guess he has a bad battery.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sure sounds like a bad battery. Will it take a charge from the charger?

My son's new R1200GSA had to get picked up by road side and taken to the dealer twice. Both times it was a bad battery and warranty covered it.

If you can, charge it up and get to the dealer. Good luck with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts