BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may effect your ABS, Bad Reverser caused Dead & Low Battery

I have an 05 Lt. My battery starting going dead, took a long time to re-charge.
On an incline I put the Lt in reverse and no reverse. Went to CC BMW in Metuchen NJ and after some head scratching they concluded that the reverser was causing the battery to go dead.
No reverse is not to bad by itself, but the battery drawing down caused me some concerns, especially with the latest ABS letter refereing to ABS failure with a low battery.
Any body else ever hear of this?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
rkc2002 said:
I have an 05 Lt. My battery starting going dead, took a long time to re-charge.
On an incline I put the Lt in reverse and no reverse. Went to CC BMW in Metuchen NJ and after some head scratching they concluded that the reverser was causing the battery to go dead.
No reverse is not to bad by itself, but the battery drawing down caused me some concerns, especially with the latest ABS letter refereing to ABS failure with a low battery.
Any body else ever hear of this?
Believable to me. Every now and then you hear of a bad reverser controller, and it's not hard to imagine a current drain path through failed electronic device. Hopefully, this is the last you'll hear of it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My battery has gone dead after a couple of weeks of no use while working on the bike and waiting for a new seat, and I've had to place it on a Battery Tender. It took about 24 hours for the tender to say it had fully charged. At first I thought it was due to a faulty switch on the LEDs I installed a couple of months ago. However, I don't see a glow coming from the lights when they're off, so no apparent power drain. Now I'm wondering about this whole reverse thing. My reverse works fine, or at least it did before I parked the bike in the garage. Does it have to be faulty for the drain to occur, or is there a stealthy battery draining going on even with the key in the off position? I'm still scratching my head with this one.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm replying to my own post to add a question and move the thread to page 1. How long does a BMW battery generally last?

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts
neodoc said:
My battery has gone dead after a couple of weeks of no use while working on the bike and waiting for a new seat, and I've had to place it on a Battery Tender. It took about 24 hours for the tender to say it had fully charged. At first I thought it was due to a faulty switch on the LEDs I installed a couple of months ago. However, I don't see a glow coming from the lights when they're off, so no apparent power drain. Now I'm wondering about this whole reverse thing. My reverse works fine, or at least it did before I parked the bike in the garage. Does it have to be faulty for the drain to occur, or is there a stealthy battery draining going on even with the key in the off position? I'm still scratching my head with this one.

The battery will drain with the key in the off position. Unless you lock the handlebars or turn the key past the off position (further left), there will be parasitic drain.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Raffy:

It has even drained with the handlebars locked. I don't know if the reverser issue posted earlier in this thread applies to me, or if that 16-month old battery has just lost its ability to hold a charge. I really don't want the dealer tinkering with it if it doesn't need it. I have a battery tender for the gel battery, so now it will stay charged. My concern is on long rides out of town if when I get up the next morning I'll be on foot. Thus far, it takes several days of no use for the battery to get low enough not to crank the starter. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
153 Posts
This may not apply to your particular issue. I backed my LT into a parking spot while touring British Columbia and the next morning in the pouring rain found my battery too low to kick over the engine. I noticed I had left my reverse lever engaged. Fortunately it bump started. Perhaps your problem is the setting on the switch to the reverse lever??

·
Registered
153 Posts
How long does a battery last??

I still have the original in my '99. Not a gel type. Last tour was two weeks long and both seats were on along with an electric jacket liner and hand grips. Alway kept it on a trickle/surface charger when not in use. The battery was showing signs of weakness towards the end of the tour. Suspect the extra drain from the jacket liner was the problem. The shift indicator and clock faded out. Eventually came back on towards the end of the day after running a while.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Battery and Reverse Problems

I don't know if this will help or not. I had a reverser problem when I bought my LT three years ago. It didn't drain the battery but wouldn't allow the bike to start when it got hot. After the reverser was replaced, the battery went flat while on the charger over the winter. I have heard of some others doing this. I replaced the battery and that solved the problem. I don't think that there was any relationship between the two problems on my bike. It's possible that there might not be on yours either. Good luck.

Charles Keller
02 LTC

·
Registered
137 Posts
I also had a draining battery problem a while back. Finally traced it to a
the starter relay. I replaced the starter relay(which all the starting interlock circuits for the are wired thru) and have not had the problem re-occur.
Hope this helps.

Wolf

1 - 10 of 10 Posts