BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopped on my K1200LT for my usual Saturday morning ride with my buddies and the battery was dead. Right before I tried to start it, I noticed I did not have the ignition switch turned all the way to the left as the handlebars were not locked. Instrument lights were barely glowing. I have a radar detector plugged into the leads that used to go to the map light on the dash, and maybe that is what drained the bike after about 5 days of not running. Not wanting to be late, I just grabbed my 30 year old car 10 AMP battery charger and hooked it right up to the battery terminals without disconnecting anything. Let it charge at a variable 5-10 AMPS for a few minutes, but did not get enough charge to start. After a few more minutes at 10 AMPS, the bike started, I disconnected the charger from the battery and rode off. Bike ran fine for the rest of the day. I'll check to see if it starts tomorrow. Just thought I would post so that it may be an option for you to consider should the same thing happen to you. I think I have also jump started from a car and may have push started when the battery was too low to use the electric starter.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Doa

Tim - could you have accidently turned the key all the way left and had the parking lites on?

Tim Hustead

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Push started mine when the battery died. Not something I'd want to do to often. Lucky my driveway is a gradual down slope. Rode it to the dealer, parked her in the service area and told them to put a new battery in. They tried to start it, no joy.

·
Banned
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SeaMarshall,

I've done that before, but not this time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts