BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Dead battery and can's access seat release

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  jzeiler 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 k1200lt and can't open the side compartment to access the seat release to charge the battery. The key won't open anything. I think this is because the alarm was set before the battery died. Any ideas?

#3 ·
While your playing with all this, install a battery charger pig tail with in line fuse to your battery and route it out under the seat. Good for future maintenance charging with no worries and fewer dead batteries. You only get about 5 or 8 of those dead cycles before things are seriously down hill. Don't forget the throttle reset procedure.

#6 ·
I don't recall the details, but the dealer showed me a way to open the bags if the central locking failed. It involved using the key and, I think, pushing in on the look cylinder and turning the key or maybe turning and then pushing in. I think I later found the procedure in one of the manuals, but I don't recall now where I found it.

#7 ·
Insert the key into the lock and turn the key to the 45 degree position. Press the lock barrel to unlock the case. Only works on the side and top cases, not on the lockable storage compartment hatch over the tank.

Reactions: simoncharles
#9 ·
I added a length of mason's line from the latch hook and ran it back up under the rear seat. This allows me to pull the latch open should I ever need to. I have a BakUp back rest and cannot reach down between the seats.

Reactions: simoncharles
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.