BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, another HID install post.....

I installed a low beam DDM HID on my '00 LT. I did it from the "bottom" and it took less than an hour. Pretty simple all in all. But, to be honest, I have a friend who worked for the phone company at one time and he has all kinds of tie-wrap adhesive holders. Industrial type stuff. That made it simple to attach the ballast etc to the bike. The hardest part was getting the two little spring clips that hold the bulb in place latched, but that would be the same with a simple bulb replacement.

I took the cover off the back of the lights and drilled a 7/8 inch hole on the "arrow." I cut two small notches directly across from each other at the holes edge to allow the locking clips of one of the connectors to pass through and pulled the wires and grommet into place. Then I went back to the bike and installed the bulb. (Wrestled with those stupid clips for 10 minutes,) The red wire from the HID goes into the old bulb socket on the yellow wire, and the black wire on the HID kid plugs into the brown wire. Plugged the HID stuff together and tie-wrapped them up under the nose. Started the bike and admired the beautiful glow.

As for DDM. The "Kit" it's self is good stuff. Small, thin and easy to stash. It's also shock proof, water proof and "Lifetime Guarantee." But thats all thats in the kit. ZERO instructions. Pretty easy to figure out, but still.

As for "Customer Service," don't even try. I wont go through the long long long story of trying to reach them, but don't even try unless you absolutely have to. And don't be in a hurry. The order is shipped from China and it took mine 18 days.

Anyhow, any of you purchasing DDM Tuning HID lights and have a question, PM me and I'll tell you how I did it. Just keep in mind my LT is a 2000. Seems to me there is a difference with the newer bikes.

Joel

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Been there and done that ... hopefully you ONLY used the OEM power at bulb to trip a relay and got power for ballast battery direct ?

Many have done it both ways, but being the ballast during start up pulls near 3 fold the OEM bulbs 55 watts at start up, some have smoked there bikes wiring as well.

JMO ... nuttin more

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just installed a 55W 6000K DDM system. Yup - no instructions, but I ran a relay coz I'm aware of the extra current draw during warm up. The light is amazing - it's truly like looking into the sun (i.e. ouch!).

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bought my LT late August .... headlight (low beam) didn't work ... from a dealer ... bike is currently in the shop to have headlight fixed at their expense .... it's an 06, if this light goes out can I replace it with the DDM HID? Is the DDM HID brighter than the Xenon the 06 comes with? Is $243 for a bulb and 3 hours labor to replace normal?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts