BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my DDM HIDs in March and am now experiencing errant running problems.

I contacted DDM through customer support and began a troubleshooting ticket.....the first reply was only to gain contact....I asked DDM Tuning if my ballast or light may have gone bad......

My initial comment to DDM explaining the problem when they said I may have a battery problem (reply #1):
Dear Justin,
Thank you for the reply. I have a two month old PC 680 AGM battery and maintain it on a trickle charger each day. What is the accessor wiring harness you are referring to? I followed the instructions and plugged the lighting system directly into my high and low beam power points (I have a BMW K1200LT). Was there some other way I was supposed to make the connection? If so, I would appreciate any picture instructions that will help me get this right.
Thanks!​

and here are their replies:

Reply #1: Hi, Thank you for the email. You may be experiencing a power issue with our HID kit and may need the accessory wiring harness to properly power the kit. You may
also want to check your battery to make sure it still has plenty of life left.
Thank you for contacting DDM Tuning.
Justin, DDM SD

Reply #2: Since you have a BMW bike, I have heard that you will need the error code eliminator-3, which can be seen on the link below:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Error-Code-Eliminator-3-PAIR
This is a small resistor that will trick you bikes ECU into believing that you have a pair of stock halogens in your housing. Our HID's use less power than standard halogens and sometimes are not recognized by a car or bikes computer.
These should alleviate your issue.

Thank you for contacting DDM Tuning.
-Justin, DDM SD

Ticket Details
===================
Ticket ID: ISU-
Department: Tech Support
Priority: High

Has anyone had to install the "The Error Code Eliminator-3 " they are recommending or did you go straight from the battery? If straight from the battery, do you have instructions that would help me re-wire this thing so it'll work without concern?

Thanks!

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
On my HID it fails to light about every 20 starts or so. All I have to do is shut it off & restart the bike. I look down thru the right windscreen support into the light lens to see if the light lit or not when I start the bike. That works for me except during midday when the sun is the brightest then I have to get off the bike & see if it lit. I'm not sure why but it's been that way for over 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
The resistor used to trick the computer into thinking it has thr proper current flow is for bikes using a CANBUS system. The LT's do not use CANBUS so no worries.

Loren

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Don't forget to close the bonnet if you install these!

Warning: Some vehicles may have reverse polarity. Reverse polarity can cause a BOW to explode. We recommend wearing safety glasses and closing your hood before testing the BOW on your vehicle.

:kaboom:

:corn:

·
Registered
929 Posts
saddleman said:
On my HID it fails to light about every 20 starts or so. All I have to do is shut it off & restart the bike. I look down thru the right windscreen support into the light lens to see if the light lit or not when I start the bike. That works for me except during midday when the sun is the brightest then I have to get off the bike & see if it lit. I'm not sure why but it's been that way for over 40,000 miles.
Is this a common problem? Mine does the same thing only more frequently and my response is the same as saddleman's...turn the bike off and restart and usually she will light. I thought I was having a ground issue...:(

·
Registered
276 Posts
How much time between key on and starting? I always wait for the fuel pump to finish pressurizing then wait a few more seconds before start and I have not seen this issue in my 15K miles after installing the DDM HID. The reason I ask about the time element is that when you go 'key on', the light ignites, and when you start the bike it goes back off then re-ignites. If you have a very fast ignite-off-reignite cycle you might occasionally see this with HIDs.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
VRodPete said:
How much time between key on and starting? I always wait for the fuel pump to finish pressurizing then wait a few more seconds before start and I have not seen this issue in my 15K miles after installing the DDM HID. The reason I ask about the time element is that when you go 'key on', the light ignites, and when you start the bike it goes back off then re-ignites. If you have a very fast ignite-off-reignite cycle you might occasionally see this with HIDs.

You do not need the error code eliminator since you are not using a canbus system.
The wiring harness they are refering to is probably one that would power the system via the battery directly thru relay contacts and use the headlight power to pick the relays to switch that power source I had to do this for the HID system I had installed on the LT I had. After that I had no futher problems with intermittant lights.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! DDM called me this morning and asked if I had switched the connections to see if it was the ballast.....I'll try that tomorrow when I get it on the road for some errands. I did tell Justin (DDM Tech Rep) that I didn't need the error eliminator....but the wiring harness may be an option to give me a peace of mind!

I appreciate your input!
:bmw:

·
Registered
929 Posts
VRodPete said:
Peter,

Man, thanks a million...since I have been following your advice I haven't had any problems--she lights everytime. This is an awesome forum!:bowdown:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll give that a shot too! Thanks! :wave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts