BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody going to Daytona 2011 that has room for two adult, professional males to crash?

We are looking at arriving Wed, 9 Mar and leave Sunday.

We are willing to share costs.

PM me if you have extra room please.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Glenn, Just an FYI, there are usually rooms available in Deland, about 30 minutes from Daytona and a much nicer place to stay, In My Opinion.... Several very good restaurants too. I'm not staying the night, I'll be there for just one day...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Last year I camped with the BMW group in Bunnel and had a great time. My only caveat is to check the weather forecast cause it got chilly at night last year.

·
Registered
836 Posts
where in Bunnel?
Or is this the B/2 at the Holiday Camp Ground on I-95?

I have been staying at the B/2 just off I-95, but the freeway noise gets old, and they keep jacking the price up.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yes, the Holiday campground is in Bunnell. I think the airheads are sponsoring it this year. Last year, it was $18.00 a night which seems OK during bike week and as far as using the Freeway to go the 15 or 20 minutes to Daytona, I would suggest simply riding over to the great little town of Flagler beach and doing the scenic route on the coast to Daytona or riding the scenic Hammock over to Ormand Beach. Come to think of it, as nice and friendly as Flagler Beach is with a great pier, restaurants and on Friday and Saturday one of the best Farmer's Markets in America, why would anyone actually want to spend time in Daytona Beach during Bike Week? I know many a rider who has been going to Bike Week for years and having a great time without ever setting foot in Daytona Beach. As far as noise from the freeway, the noise from my teeth chattering in cold pretty much took care of that.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody.

This is all good info.

Can anybody point me in a direction to contact the Air Head group or organizer please?

I don't mind camping. I like cold. I have gear for cold. $18 sounds way better than $180 a night.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does anyone know if BMW will be doing demo rides?

·
Registered
453 Posts
GlennM86 said:
Thanks everybody.

This is all good info.

Can anybody point me in a direction to contact the Air Head group or organizer please?

I don't mind camping. I like cold. I have gear for cold. $18 sounds way better than $180 a night.

Cheers,
Glenn
March 4 - 13, 2011
BMW Campout - Daytona FL Bike Week
Airhead Beemer Club #214

Join us in March at Holiday Travel Park, Bunnell, FL 32110, the corner of I-95 and Old Dixie Highway (exit 278). Come enjoy Bike Week with your BMW friends under the palms. Grassy, shaded, quiet camping only minutes from all the action. The Florida Airhead Beemer Club will manage the BMW camping area and provide a coffee tent/gathering area. We'll have collectable 2011 T-shirts, door prizes and our celebrated daily 50/50 cash drawings. Airhead Central will be available for any required wrenching. HTP facilities include a restaurant, clean hot showers and laundry. Picnic tables and port-a-lets will be located in the BMW camping area. Free 4-HOUR visitor's PASS. Camping info is available at holidaytravelparkcoop.com or at 386-672-8122. Point of contact is Bob Messer at 321-385-0566 or [email protected]. Additional information can be found on the Flairheads.org website under the Event Calendar. We have changed the organization but are still at the same place, in the same setup and you'll see the same faces behind the coffee pots. Come on down and warm up!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RKimmel,

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This sounds like it might be fun.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
453 Posts
Lots of fun and plenty to do. I normally ride over the bay bridge tunnel and go down 17 nearly all the way to Savannah. If you have the time from Virginia Beach, its only an hour or two more than slabbing it over to Emporia and down 95.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rkimmel2 said:
Lots of fun and plenty to do. I normally ride over the bay bridge tunnel and go down 17 nearly all the way to Savannah. If you have the time from Virginia Beach, its only an hour or two more than slabbing it over to Emporia and down 95.

From where do you start?

Are you going to Daytona this year?

Do you make the trip in a single day or stop overnight? Route 17 is much longer clockwise.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
GlennM86 said:
From where do you start?

Are you going to Daytona this year?

Do you make the trip in a single day or stop overnight? Route 17 is much longer clockwise.
Mapquest shows from Ocean City, MD or Virginia Beach to Charleston to be about 1-3 hours longer but a few miles shorter on 17. My experience has been that 17 is faster than one would expect this time of year because there is not traffic around Myrtle Beach. Avoid rush hour at Jacksonville, New Bern and Wilmington NC. If I have to slab it on 95 I usually crash at at cheap motel somewhere south of Rocky Mount.

Honestly, whether I go this year will be dependent on the 10 day forecast a few days before. Being retired, I have lots of leeway.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am staying flexible. And waiting for commitment from a couple of riding buddies.

If they fall through, then I may just blow off Daytona and go find the Natchez Trace (http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2285/index.html)

I hope I can talk my daughter into going along since that is her college's Spring Break week.

My wife and I rode 17 down to Charleston, SC once. The road just seemed long.

I just finished an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 on Dec 31. The slab to Savannah, GA was quick...breakfast in Savannah and back to VA Beach....1051 miles in 19 hours and 21 minutes total clock time. We left VA Beach after midnight Friday morning and were back in time for dinner Friday night.

Glenn

rkimmel2 said:
Mapquest shows from Ocean City, MD or Virginia Beach to Charleston to be about 1-3 hours longer but a few miles shorter on 17. My experience has been that 17 is faster than one would expect this time of year because there is not traffic around Myrtle Beach. Avoid rush hour at Jacksonville, New Bern and Wilmington NC. If I have to slab it on 95 I usually crash at at cheap motel somewhere south of Rocky Mount.

Honestly, whether I go this year will be dependent on the 10 day forecast a few days before. Being retired, I have lots of leeway.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's official! We are riding to FL to join Bob and his FLAirhead group at the Holiday Travel Park in Bunnell.

Planning to arrive late Wed evening, spend the day riding back up to St Augustine and the coastal highway on Thur, then try to get my (new to me) Corbin seats modified on Fri or Sat.

Leaving FL and heading to VA on Sunday.

A big thanks to Bob for quick replies on email.

Cheers,

Glenn

rkimmel2 said:
March 4 - 13, 2011
BMW Campout - Daytona FL Bike Week
Airhead Beemer Club #214

Join us in March at Holiday Travel Park, Bunnell, FL 32110, the corner of I-95 and Old Dixie Highway (exit 278). Come enjoy Bike Week with your BMW friends under the palms. Grassy, shaded, quiet camping only minutes from all the action. The Florida Airhead Beemer Club will manage the BMW camping area and provide a coffee tent/gathering area. We'll have collectable 2011 T-shirts, door prizes and our celebrated daily 50/50 cash drawings. Airhead Central will be available for any required wrenching. HTP facilities include a restaurant, clean hot showers and laundry. Picnic tables and port-a-lets will be located in the BMW camping area. Free 4-HOUR visitor's PASS. Camping info is available at holidaytravelparkcoop.com or at 386-672-8122. Point of contact is Bob Messer at 321-385-0566 or [email protected]. Additional information can be found on the Flairheads.org website under the Event Calendar. We have changed the organization but are still at the same place, in the same setup and you'll see the same faces behind the coffee pots. Come on down and warm up!

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Looked at the gathering in Daytona Beach a few years, but when I researched hotel rates before and during the event the difference was dramatic and it completely turned me off. They would give sports ticket scalpers a good name. That seemed indicative of how that city values bikers and encouraged me to look elsewhere. My rant.

Denny

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
avonfloater said:
Looked at the gathering in Daytona Beach a few years, but when I researched hotel rates before and during the event the difference was dramatic and it completely turned me off. They would give sports ticket scalpers a good name. That seemed indicative of how that city values bikers and encouraged me to look elsewhere. My rant.

Denny

No worries Denny. Rants are always allowed.

Costs of hotels is one reason I am camping, plus I think there is much more cameraderie found, espcially at a group camp site.

I am only going to Daytona because I have never been...always willing to try big rallies once.

I may never go back to Daytona for a rally, but at least i can say "Been there, done that, got the T shirt".

Eventually, I may even work up the nerve to ride to Sturgis...just once.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Daytona is fun, like and can be compared to a bikers carnival... Night time on the main drag is fun to watch, but not on a bike. Way too congested. I like to go from time to time, just to see what is new and occasionally BMW is there for test rides.

If you are planning to spend the night, there are lots of places around Daytona that are more reasonable and not nearly as crowded. Deland is only 30 minutes away, and a nice ride.

If you are into skydiving, Deland is the place to be too.... Lots of bikers hang out there for the food and drink at the Perfect Spot Bar and Restaurant.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Dan,

you need to arrange a RISD (Ride to Sky Dive)

If you do, count me in :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Need to hire a bike for Daytona Bike Week 2011

Evening all,

I'm looking to hire a bike for two days and travel up each day from Cocoa Beach or Orlando. I plan to go on the 11th and 12th.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a hire company that they at least know about ,please. I don't arrive until the 7th and have first to visit my poorly Mum at Cocoa before I can have some fun....
It's just to short a time (10 days) to think about bringing the LT over.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Styler4077

1 - 20 of 32 Posts