BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be in the Portland area this summer for a couple of months, half of June, July and August..

Other than riding into Nova Scotia, looks like interstate all the way, I don't have any rides in mind yet.

SO, I'm looking for suggestions for places to go on day trips, maybe one night rides.

It's going to be FUN to back in New England with all of the back roads to ride. Nothin like that here in the Tucson area.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
307 Posts
Head north from Portland into New Hampshire, ride the Kancamagus Highway (NH112) through the White Mountains, then head north; maybe over Rt 2 to Gorham, Back into Maine; stop at Bob's BBQ in Bethel; maybe up around Rangeley Lakes, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
307 Posts
if you can do more than a day trip, ride up into Vermont, There is so much good riding and no traffic, go to Quebec too - Quebec City and the area east of the City - Charlevoix along Rt 138 up to Tadoussac and beyond - spectacular!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, Bar Harbor is exceptional. Rt 201 up to Jackman. Greenville Maine. Rangley is another great ride.

Look me up and give you a guided tour of what Maine has to offer. I'm just one hour up the road in Waterville.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Bob,

About 2 hours from Portland is the Mount Washington auto road. It's a toll road so you have to pay for the ride. If you go there make sure your brakes are in good shape for the ride back down. It's a paved road to the top and by the time you get there the snow will be gone. Celebrating 150 Years in 2011.

http://www.mtwashingtonautoroad.com/

Just remembered a nice book from Whitehorse Gear on New England, has a bunch of day trips listed. Motorcycle Journeys Through New England (3rd Ed.) Find it here. http://www.whitehorsegear.com/motorcycle-journeys-through-new-england-3rd-ed

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions.
I will be staying in Gorham.

It's been about 30 years since I rode the Kank--a good suggestion. Too bad The Old Man of the mountains is gone.

I moved here from Becket MA, the Berkshires, in 1989. I'll be heading to Becket from Gorham for 4th of July weekend to visit with family, and a couple of more times during the summer. But, we will probably be taking the interstate on those trips.

While I was visiting Gorham during March, my friend brought to me to Bar Harbour--FANTASTIC food. It was so good, I insisted we go back again before I left. For me, their food was like getting home grown tomatoes vrs tomatoes from a supermarket.

One of the foods I'd like to find in the area is fried Oysters. Before I moved out here I went to the Cape for a weekend and stopped by a small place that had fresh fried oysters.

When I lived in Nashua NH during the late 60s I was introduced to "Bert and I". When I was in the Gorham are it was exciting for me when my fried had to go to Bangor for a two day business meeting.

Maybe I should plan a trip to Millinocket and East Vassalboro?

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Jack

That's an interesting suggestion.

When I was young and foolish, in the early 90s, I rode an HD chopper that I built. Of course, since I had an HD I had to go to Louden.

The first time I went, I actually went to the races. The second time it was just to see the ZOO behavior, and see way out custom HDs. I went with a bunch of others from Nashua and stayed on some land we rented for the weekend.

Around 3AM we were invaded by State police who told us we had 15 minutes to get out of town.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hello Bob,

Could you please send me some details on the Nova Scotia trip things to see, places to go. Nova Scotia is on my to do list this year..

Thanks..
Arthur J.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
May I recommend Boothbay as a place to see and relax. What a beautiful place! We went there for some lunch last October on our fall colors trip from Portland Oregon to Portland Maine. Here is a picture from the dock and restaurant called The Whale's Tail (excellent food I might add):

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Bob,

Don't know if you knew they don't run the ferry out of Portland and longer, so you would be looking at about 11 hour run to Halifax, Nova Scotia. I went there a number of years ago and St. Mary's Basilica is something to see. Hope you neck is in good shape or you will need to park a couple blocks away to see the top.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
Bob,

Don't know if you knew they don't run the ferry out of Portland and longer, so you would be looking at about 11 hour run to Halifax, Nova Scotia. I went there a number of years ago and St. Mary's Basilica is something to see. Hope you neck is in good shape or you will need to park a couple blocks away to see the top.

ferry is long gone and sold. i work in downtown portland (the old port area) and my wife and I ride every weekend. Just a FYI, they are replacing a swing bridge on RTE 302 in Naples (on the way to North Conway NH and Mt Washington) so route around that area.

We did a quick RTE to Montsweag Roadhouse on Sunday. http://www.montsweagroadhouse.com/website/

Fresh (did I mention fresh?) maine seafood, amazing steaks and great entertainment.

just ask if you need more info on routes, rides, or traffic.

-Mark

PS read (and look at these posts)

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56991
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57197

·
Registered
13 Posts
I give strong second to Bar Harbor and the island around Bar Harbor. Also if you do make the trek to Mt Desert Island you must drive to the top of Cadillac Mountain. On a clear day the views are spectacular. You can almost see the edge of the world from the top. The park loop road and the island offer some great scenery and some fabulous restaurants. Just my two cents. I am in Bangor, so if your in the neighborhood drop me a line.

Robert

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the tips and info.

We'll have to take a few day trips to find out how my friend does on roads trips before heading out for an 11 hour trip.

Best from Tucson
Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts