BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a nice ride Sattidy, even though a bit windy. Saw 3 LT's out there, one on either Hamilton Pool road, CR12, or Fitzhugh road, 2 on 290 between Johnson City & Fredericksburg. Had some lessons learned.
1. Garmin 550 doesn't like to layout country rides. It wants a city where an intersection is or use a major county road etc. so i just took the mapquest print out.
2. Don't plan other things to do before the ride (wasn't able to hit the road until after 11:00).
3. Hill Top cafe closes at 2:00 or slightly before (1:58 we were told it was too late since they were about to close). So it'll still be new when we do lunch Dick! :D
4. Catfish Haven puts on a good feed and there's room for an RTE. (They do have pie, but the Fredericksburg Pie Company is a better choice for the PP)

Loop was 245 miles by the time we got back to the ranch. Deer jumped in the road near Pedernales State Park about midday. (Brakes work) :rolleyes: Sittin at lunch, wife said there were gusts on those wind gusts, her pucker factor was in the compress coal into diamonds range. Fightin the wind sure makes a feller hungry and catfish & fixin's was a good cure.Returned via 2323 to 16 (for about 50yards) to 71, CR307, RR3404, FM 1431, to Parmer & home. There didn't seem to be any direction where the wind was a help just blowin like a Banshee and gusty cross winds. Only relief was the trees & hills near the roadway. Some excellent views, prickly pear in bloom, a few wildflowers (precious few) it's just too dry. and somehow we got 47.9 MPG. I average 42 MPG two up and had never gotten better than 45. Wife said it was the fact that the wind was lifting her off the bike making it ride more like one up. Who am I to argue? :rolleyes:

So I've done my dry run, Dick. Now I'll be ready for lunchies when we get a good date. I'll keep ya posted.

BTW if any of the other LT riders ...or the RT or KS riders I saw are on the forum. feel free to chime in here.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Hey, Benny - glad you and Patsy got a ride in over the weekend. Just nuttin' like a lookee-here/lookee-there ride in the Tejas Hill Country. Sorry Johnny and the Asleep at the Wheel gang closed on ya for lunchies. BTW, we've done two RTEs at that place and both had packed houses. And you may know - the inaugural ride of the K1200LT USA introduction included a stop at the Hilltop Cafe on their way out west! Check out the Hilltop's webpage here.

BTW - I'm toast on the Hilltop until at least Friday, the 13th of May. That next weekend and beyond will work whenever it'll work for you and Patsy. Can't wait!!

BTW #2 - sure would like to join you and Patsy at the Camp Verde General Store some Satiday. That's partial way 'tween Kerrville and Bandera, on 173, and just west of Center Point. Some good eats; great service; and plenty of goodies on the shelves for outfitting a kitchen. Even Sasquatch would enjoy it. And they have many flavors of Keurig coffee and some fingerfood samples for just whatever you feel like donating! Honest - just a donation in the Mason jar!

Stay tuned, Benny - we'll make this meet-up work pretty soon.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Dick, the State of Texas and the Chamber of Commerce for the Hill Country area should pay you for good press and advertising. Mrs. G. retires in a couple and wants to make the Texas Hill Country one of the first stops on LT after that.

Bill

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
WildBil said:
Dick, the State of Texas and the Chamber of Commerce for the Hill Country area should pay you for good press and advertising. Mrs. G. retires in a couple and wants to make the Texas Hill Country one of the first stops on LT after that.

Bill
Hey, Bill - tell Mrs. G. to work in a vacation gig to the Tejas Hill Country before the retirement - you know, just sort of an LT get-friendly cruise around the area in preparation for the beeg event!!! Love seeing y'all in the 'hood.

Edit: check out the Camp Verde General Store menu here, and lemme tell ya, you better bring an empty stomach if you're gonna order the Ooo La La sandwich. They load it up like they have all the intentions in the world of not having any leftovers in the kitchen at closing time!!

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dick said:
Hey, Benny - glad you and Patsy got a ride in over the weekend. Just nuttin' like a lookee-here/lookee-there ride in the Tejas Hill Country. Sorry Johnny and the Asleep at the Wheel gang closed on ya for lunchies. BTW, we've done two RTEs at that place and both had packed houses. And you may know - the inaugural ride of the K1200LT USA introduction included a stop at the Hilltop Cafe on their way out west! Check out the Hilltop's webpage here.

BTW - I'm toast on the Hilltop until at least Friday, the 13th of May. That next weekend and beyond will work whenever it'll work for you and Patsy. Can't wait!!

BTW #2 - sure would like to join you and Patsy at the Camp Verde General Store some Satiday. That's partial way 'tween Kerrville and Bandera, on 173, and just west of Center Point. Some good eats; great service; and plenty of goodies on the shelves for outfitting a kitchen. Even Sasquatch would enjoy it. And they have many flavors of Keurig coffee and some fingerfood samples for just whatever you feel like donating! Honest - just a donation in the Mason jar!

Stay tuned, Benny - we'll make this meet-up work pretty soon.
For sure, us bein that close to quittin' time was our fault not theirs. If'n we'da started when we planned, it woulda been 12:58 (a missed turn and potty stops added 1/2 hr to the drive or it woulda been 12:28) I don't let grass grow under me, but I just don't see the sense of riding a scenic route for time. That can be done at track day or on super slab.

We'll put Camp Verde on the list as well. Need to set up a weekend down in Leakey or sumthin' so we can do some of the rides we never seem to have time for. So many good roads, so little time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts