BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<Old bike syndrome may be beginning to show its uuuugly head....>

On my way to work this a.m. I got bonked in the face by a bit of black foam. Then it happened again.

After a few confused seconds, I figgured out that the offending foam bits were coming out of the seam between my instrument panel and the surrounding inner fairing.

Anyone run into/repaired this issue previously?

Does this foam gasket do anything important?

Does the stock BMW part have adhesive on one side to hold it in place?

How much disassembly is required to get to it?

I have pooploads of various foam, neoprene and even silicone gaskets left over from my teardrop camper build -- inquiring minds want to know if some neoprene gasket just slid in from the topside would be sufficient to replace this stock gasket that has apparently just expired from old age and exposure to the elements.

TIA

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
They all fall out eventually, not important....

·
Registered
513 Posts
okay. i gottta ask.

how much is actually in a poopload?

BTW i did not find this word in the dictionary, so i am assuming (PUN) it's home made.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it as the only things it does are (maybe) stop a vibration and keep some dust and potential water from making its way up into the underside of the cowling. Mine was falling apart when I got the bike and I replaced it with low-density self-adhesive black foam weatherstripping I picked up at the hardware store, the thickest I could find.

The only reason I bothered is because I was already in there, to get at it you will need to remove both left and right fairing panels, the stingray and handlebar covers. I can't remember if you need to also remove the cowl. I would just wait until you are in there for your air filter etc replacements and do it then, you'll only need a fartload of that poopload of foam you have to do this project :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
hmmmm90s said:
<Old bike syndrome may be beginning to show its uuuugly head....>

On my way to work this a.m. I got bonked in the face by a bit of black foam. Then it happened again.

After a few confused seconds, I figgured out that the offending foam bits were coming out of the seam between my instrument panel and the surrounding inner fairing.

Anyone run into/repaired this issue previously?

Does this foam gasket do anything important?

Does the stock BMW part have adhesive on one side to hold it in place?

How much disassembly is required to get to it?

I have pooploads of various foam, neoprene and even silicone gaskets left over from my teardrop camper build -- inquiring minds want to know if some neoprene gasket just slid in from the topside would be sufficient to replace this stock gasket that has apparently just expired from old age and exposure to the elements.

TIA
Inquiring minds want to know about this teardrop of which you speak. Pull behind LT?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scouter-50 said:
Inquiring minds want to know about this teardrop of which you speak. Pull behind LT?
I wish! ;-)

The great teardrop project was a homebuilt that my wife and I put together.

IT rides on a 4x8 utility trailer purchased at tractor supply. It is of a type made popular in the 1950s and has 5/8 plywood sides and an aluminum roof.

Inside is a bed made of high denisity and memory foam and it has a functional kitchen out back under a clamshell cover.

It is a great tailgating and after party machine that is small enough to be towed behind any car.

At an estimated weight of 650-700 lbs, it might be a bit much for bike use, though.

I do have a bad idea that I hope to pursue someday -- I've seen a custom rig that made use of a Goldwing sidecar outfit as a tug -- the bike, the chair and the 'drop were all finished in Fly Yellow -- it was very safe from a visibility perspective. ;-)

I'll try and post a few shots when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Better late than never department.....picture of the drop from almost bare chassis to completion... the first shots show the chassis with only the plywood/insulation/plywood base panel installed....

FWIW...to stay on topic ... about 90% of the overall dashboard gasketing on my LT was gone... if one has high density neoprene gasket that isn't self adhesive one can just work a new gasket in from the topside without disassembling anything....

have yet to test ride this ghetto mod... seems like it should quiet some cockpit rattles I was just noticing...

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
I also am interested in a LT pull-a-long teardrop. I saw this fellows expandable teardrop from Idaho. He invented a nifty teardrop which he sold the patent rights to a commercial trailer maker. I called them and it's hopefully coming out in another month or two. This can actually be made by anyone with simple tools and abilities. Here's a Youtube video and a couple of pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z7QnNkMgF0

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
mycamel said:
okay. i gottta ask.

how much is actually in a poopload?

BTW i did not find this word in the dictionary, so i am assuming (PUN) it's home made.

beat me to it.....lol

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A poopload is a sh*tload that will get by most e-mail or website obscenity filters.

Filters, you ask?

I had some really critical business e-mails that were not getting delivered. The were addressed to a business partner that used a diminutive nickname that is usually short for Richard.

Seems that being named 'D*ck' results in a great deal of one's mails being deleted by various forms of spam filtration that are looking for P*rn and p*nis enlargement ads.

And its just too effin' bad if your name happens to be D*ck.

I poop you not. ;-)

BTW -- you had me goin' with the Mototeardrop. Until I saw that it doesn't have a roof when its in use.

Fail. ;-)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<return to On-topic mode>

We did 50+ miles this a.m. with the new gaskets installed.

Those folks that say it doesn't do anything are demonstrably incorrect.

To recap, I pulled the remaining foam out of the gap, and then worked some very dense neoprene weatherstrip into the gap with the bike assembled. My neoprene has a self-adhesive side and i just left the paper cover for the adhesive in place so the neoprene could be slid into place and adjusted.

This morning, on the interstate the amount of noise in the cockpit was dramatically reduced. All of the previous buzzes, rattles and noise reflecting up from inside the fairing are gone. I have to assume that the foam both supports the fairing upper shell and isolates it from vibration. Running 4100 rpm on the interstate was once again a calm and controlled experience.

If your instrument cluster gasket is gone -- go find yourself some high density neoprene and restore some serenity to your LT's cockpit.

Sometime answering one's own question is the best way. ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts