BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First really nice weekend day to ride and the LT runs like shit. Got a bad miss in it around 4k with a light load, else she seems to run just fine. Willingly run right up to red line and no missing anywhere else or under any other conditions. Have been riding it so it isn't stale gas.

Plugs are old and have well over 12k on them.

Guess she gets a new set of plugs when I can get to the dealer or maybe catch AutoZone when they open first thing tomorrow and see if I can find anything therethat will work.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Gunny go to a auto parts store or wally world. pick up a can of Sea Foam (white can) use aprox 1oz per gal.of gas. I put some in the tank every 3000 miles. works for me.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan:

I'll try that.

Anyone know of which spark plug will work in replacement of the originals?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I don't know what Sea foam is,
but you might want to run some injector cleaner through her,
if that's it you'll know within 10-20 miles

·
Registered
392 Posts
+1 on the injector cleaner. I had the same problem 2 years ago. Was going to take it to a dealer, instead used twice the amount of injector cleaner that was suggested,then took her out on the freeway for about 6 miles, still missing at that same RPM range. Turned around and took a very long on ramp, heading back home. Kept it in first gear near red line for about 800 yards, then she hesitated for a couple of beats then cleared her throat & I had my old baby back. Must have been something in the injectors, cause there was a small cloud of black smoke getting smaller very quickly in my rear view mirrors.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Darn! Update

A can of fuel injection cleaner and an hour ride through the twisty roads cured the fat girl of her sputtering and missing.

Runs great as ever now.

Can said it would treat up to 15 gallons. They way I think is that if a little is good, more is better and if that works out, a lot more is a lot better. Dumped in the whole can, added about 4 oz of MM oil, topped it off with fresh gas and put her in the wind.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Seafoam does all that and more.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Gunny,
You might be able to get these BOSCH Plugs at your local BMW cage dealer. :dance:

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan:

Yup. The whole can. It wasn't that big of a can, maybe an 8 oz or so.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She's due a service so I'll do that along with checking the valves fresh set of plugs, blow out the radiators, flush the cooling system.

Probably would be a good idea to even see about a brake fluid flush.

She'll be good for another 100k then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts