BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 R1200RT has ESA, but seems like it is stuck in the one rider position. The damping still works OK; I can hear both shocks cycling from one setting to the next. Should I still take it to the dealer to make sure that the pre-load in the shocks is bad and not the computer that drives the shocks?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
If the shock is setting the pre load you should be able to feel the ride height change with the bike standing upright (not on the center stand) and you either on it with feet on the ground or beside it with a measuring tape. Five years sounds about right for failure to function. :(

·
Registered
726 Posts
beech said:
If the shock is setting the pre load you should be able to feel the ride height change with the bike standing upright (not on the center stand) and you either on it with feet on the ground or beside it with a measuring tape. Five years sounds about right for failure to function. :(
Wait! 5/years for fail? This not want I want to hear. I did some back ground when I ordered my RT. This did not come up as a failure that I read. I would have not ordered this option.
So the question is..... two more years and I will have the same problem :confused:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Risky said:
Wait! 5/years for fail? This not want I want to hear. I did some back ground when I ordered my RT. This did not come up as a failure that I read. I would have not ordered this option.
So the question is..... two more years and I will have the same problem :confused:
The ESA is a mechanical system that will eventually need service. BMW replacement ESA shocks are god-awful expensive, but the good news is that there are now aftermarket options that include rebuildable shocks that actually make a better ride than OEM, and are a much better return on investment. Ride it until it fails and then go get a better shock.

FWIW: My R1200R non-esa shocks started going soft at about 5 years so at 6.5 years I fixed the shocks by getting a new RT with the ESA installed. When they fail, I will fix the problem.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wilbers now have their WESA line of shocks for the 07 RT. They use your ESA motors/servos. About $1400 after I mail them my shocks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Before I got my RT I polled this and another board regarding the ESA reliability. There were enough reported problems I special ordered a bike without it.

I usually ride one-up without luggage and the under-seat manual preload is a cinch to use, so for my purposes it was a simple choice.

·
Registered
729 Posts
TeSmSp said:
Wilbers now have their WESA line of shocks for the 07 RT. They use your ESA motors/servos. About $1400 after I mail them my shocks.
Just a suggestion but before you send them in and get the Wilber's make sure the motor/sensor is functioning properly (neither available separately) If not you just wasted 1400.
If it's in the motor or position sensor you can scrap the ESA shocks and get manual replacements.

·
Registered
729 Posts
bikebits said:
Before I got my RT I polled this and another board regarding the ESA reliability. There were enough reported problems I special ordered a bike without it.

I usually ride one-up without luggage and the under-seat manual preload is a cinch to use, so for my purposes it was a simple choice.
IMO ESA shines with the on the fly dampening adjustment (comfort, normal, sport)
Preload was no big deal using ESA or the manual knob.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts