BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah man, what’s the world coming to? I rode my LT to all four corners of the U.S. on the SCMA Four Corners Tour, did one IBA SS1000 to give a buddy company, went to the BMW-MOA Rally, and just finished a BBG 1500 this morning at 3:57AM. All within a month. First of all, do I have a GREAT wife or what? Here’s my problem…the dang thing didn’t use any oil, nothing burned out … or up … or down … or anything else. It has ‘bout 86K on the clock and runs like a one too. I ought to change its name from Pegasus to Timex. Mileage was from 41.6 to 52.1mpg. No wonder I don’t post much on this site. The dang bike doesn’t give me a reason to! J I think I’ll go for a ride.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Your post should be required reading for new or prospective owners. I checked my mileage yesterday for the last 8 fill-ups on my '99: 46.3mpg. I just make sure the tires are 42/48 and go.

Have fun,
Jer

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I almost changed my bike's name to "Forrest", because it just keeps running... :D

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I've only had mine for about a year and 10,000 miles with nothing but two small nuisance issues so far. Did the 24,000 last week and only needed two valve buckets. What a machine.

Perhaps a sticky thread for miles between mechanical failures would be an interesting balance to the final drive failure thread.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, obviously some people are not creative enough to find a way to "bad mouth" a good product. Instead, they take the easy road of complimenting and praising a safe, comfortable, stable, well-built, beautiful, consistently reliable, fuel saving, head-turning, touring dream of a motorcycle.
Last spring, after reading many complaints about the LT, I had decided that I was riding the Studebaker of motorcycles, then I traveled from Texas to Arizona, Utah and Wyoming and back...and was reminded that I have indeed chosen wisely.
Thanks for starting this thread. Congratulations on your IBA rides. I've only done the 1000 so I am not in your league yet. Just give me a little time.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Same here - My LT takes big abuse here in NYC. Traffic, excessive heat, pot holes, etc. Not to mention it gets hit while parking constantly. The thing still runs with no trouble.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Me too! I keep thinking I'm in a love-hate relationship, but it's me, not the bike. Only had it about a year and a half with 11,000 miles on it. On a long trip I'll always take note of where the closest U-haul was so I know where to go for a ride home. Turns out the big girl brings me back each time - DAM. What's a guy to do?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Doug, nothing wrong with a Studebaker. Mine is 59 years old, runs like a top and is worth about 6 times what it was when new! Let's hope the LTs of the world will perform that well after 59 years. Anyway, I love my LT and my Studey.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I share your pain. Bought my 00 in 06 with 48K on the clock. Last time I rode her I turned over 80,000. Other than a cannister going south on me on my trip to Death Valley last year and the clutch switch getting a bit buggered out of place and not letting my cruise control engage on the way home from DV, I've not had any trouble out of Emil at all. I did do the throttle cable upgrade this past spring to my right wrist could last as long as the LT could on a day's ride.

Great bike and thanks for the encouraging, positive thread.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Great positive post and a testament to what we all aspire to achieve out of our LT's.

You sure had one heck of a month in the saddle didn't you?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Congratulations, I'm suitably impressed. Makes my recent 3-day, 1000 mile trip (not a single issue) seem like a ride around the block. Not trying to hijack your thread, but given your extensive time in the saddle, I have to ask what seat/pad are you using and which windshield?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have owned an '07 LT for 2 years. Bought brand new and now has 21,000 miles. About half of those miles with the S.O. behind. Only complaint is that the cruise control does not work when in triple digits. Dealer looked at me like I wan't supposed to ever discover that fact and then explained that it was designed that way.

·
Registered
166 Posts
dqbrown said:
I have owned an '07 LT for 2 years. Bought brand new and now has 21,000 miles. About half of those miles with the S.O. behind. Only complaint is that the cruise control does not work when in triple digits. Dealer looked at me like I wan't supposed to ever discover that fact and then explained that it was designed that way.

That IS an impressive month! Good work!

As for the cruise control post quoted, did they change something on later models? My 2000s manual says cruise works up to 120mph, and I have confirmed that it does.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have recently purchased a 07 LT and I have ridden about 3K in 2 months. Aside from having to replace the tires, I should be able to rack a lot of miles!
Thanks 04'LT(Hildegard)!

·
Registered
656 Posts
ya its been lowered my 09 turns it off at 95 LOL freaked me out a bit was well into the triple tree thought I set the CC and let go of the grip needless to say when she slows that fast it woke me up.

azredline said:
That IS an impressive month! Good work!

As for the cruise control post quoted, did they change something on later models? My 2000s manual says cruise works up to 120mph, and I have confirmed that it does.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts